When you are down remember this, things can always get worse

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
1716393929101.jpeg

This made an appearance today.

20 years ago I was going thru a tough period. Money was tight and I came home to this on the kitchen table. My wife,fully aware of my distress at the time spent some of our few disposable dollars on this. The absurdity made me laugh.

My wife pulled it out of storage today. She knows I needed it.

I hope any of you who are in need of a laugh can enjoy a second of laughter.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
View attachment 578990

20 years ago I was going thru a tough period. Money was tight and I came home to this on the kitchen table. My wife,fully aware of my distress at the time spent some of our few disposable dollars on this. The absurdity made me laugh.

I can't quite tell what is in the bowl; but wives know these things. Lucky guy.

Hope things start to look up! Remember - we're all in this together....

We Are In This Together National Lampoons Christmas Vacation GIF by Max

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
View attachment 578990

Looks like early Ming Dynasty or late Yuan. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
View attachment 578990

I would have lost my temper 20 years ago and my wife would be reminding me of that 20 years later.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
By the way, I recently told my wife that, after 50 years at the bar, I wanted to buy the car of my dreams. She said "sure, you've earned it". What did you have in mind? I said an Aston Martin. She said "go ahead. What's it cost...80 or 90?". I said "no, more like 250". She said, innocently, "250 what?". I said...." Thousand". Her response..."You have lost your mind. If you are serious, you can have the car or me, not both". I said, sarcastically, "I'll think it over". I finally did choose the Aston Martin, but this one...at 250....dollars and 1/18 scale.:)

70294w.jpg__33679.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
By the way, I recently told my wife that, after 50 years at the bar, I wanted to buy the car of my dreams. She said "sure, you've earned it". What did you have in mind? I said an Aston Martin. She said "go ahead. What's it cost...80 or 90?". I said "no, more like 250". She said, innocently, "250 what?". I said...." Thousand". Her response..."You have lost your mind. If you are serious, you can have the car or me, not both". I said, sarcastically, "I'll think it over". I finally did choose the Aston Martin, but this one...at 250....dollars and 1/18 scale.:)

View attachment 579319
I’ve been working on moms for a year on the timing of the 718, which I’m ordering this summer at $90k or so. She’s starting to dig in a little and it’s gonna get ugly. If I succumb to the anger I’ll buy one of these for $45k and never put it in the garage she HATES these lol

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021

View attachment 579319
I have always laughed at the guys who are over 70? That buy expensive cars. First, when I was younger I was like, why do all of the old guys buy those nice cars. Now, it’s, well another old guy taking all the money he has to the grave. A customer the other day who is 75? Bought a new corvette for 110k. We ask him if he is cruising the strip.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
I have always laughed at the guys who are over 70? That buy expensive cars. First, when I was younger I was like, why do all of the old guys buy those nice cars. Now, it’s, well another old guy taking all the money he has to the grave. A customer the other day who is 75? Bought a new corvette for 110k. We ask him if he is cruising the strip.
A lot of my clients and friends over 65 buy expensive cars because they can finally afford them. For years they sacrificed for their children, and often grandchildren, by paying for college, grad school, weddings, home down payments..... If they still have any cash left, and many do not, they finally want to spend it on themselves, or their spouse, and chase their dreams...cars, vacations, even new homes. It saddens me to see someone who worked hard their whole life for others and never took the time to enjoy the fruits of their labor. For some, the satisfaction is in the giving, but for others there are lingering regrets. I have tried to balance the giving with the dream chasing, but I often choose the former over the latter.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
A lot of my clients and friends over 65 buy expensive cars because they can finally afford them. For years they sacrificed for their children, and often grandchildren, by paying for college, grad school, weddings, home down payments..... If they still have any cash left, and many do not, they finally want to spend it on themselves, or their spouse, and chase their dreams...cars, vacations, even new homes. It saddens me to see someone who worked hard their whole life for others and never took the time to enjoy the fruits of their labor. For some, the satisfaction is in the giving, but for others there are lingering regrets. I have tried to balance the giving with the dream chasing, but I often choose the former over the latter.

Yeah, was going to say unless born privileged (which doesn't mean just rich, but also with connections) or you luck out and invent YouTube or some other 'next big tech thing', or you are a pro athlete, it's difficult for most under 35 to afford a $100,000+ sports car. Maybe if single it's easier, but even then, living in general is more expensive than ever. I do know a few young guys (born privileged which has led to more privilege) who have expensive supercars but most of the wealthy families I know spend their money on vacations and their kids. I'm 49 and could drive a $250,000 Aston Martin if it wasn't for private school (the car is a steal in comparison....). Sigh. One day....

retsio

Oct 13, 2021
Hopefully - a Brinks truck and a moving van filled with your possessions ... will not follow the Hearse to the cemetery and gravesite.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Hopefully - a Brinks truck and a moving van filled with your possessions ... will not follow the Hearse to the cemetery and gravesite.
Unlikely, but even if it did, I've worked, on average, 50 hours a week for over 50 years. During those decades I've been more than generous with my family, close friends, and favorite charities. If I've accumulated some stuff along the way, I've earned it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ODShowtime

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
I've been hitched to the same great lady for over 50 years. Our hope is to pass together, at 105, in an act of mutual gratification. :)
How can I clear that from my mind. My parents are on 69 years this year. I will be 106 to match that. My wife said, she will hopefully be long dead.

• Haha
Reactions: fairgambit

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
The cheaper way to drive a hot car is to rent one for a week or so. In the right place. When my Civic was totaled back in 2018 (I stopped at a red light but the guy behind me did not). I wanted an Audi A4. I ended up with a Corolla--which I am very happy with and which was $18.1K out the door, brand new with only 0.5 miles on it. BUT--we were also in Germany that year and we needed to rent a car for a couple of days. The car we'd chosen was a bit small, so the place was willing to upgrade us to a Mercedes for 10E a day. My wife told me it was a no-brainer: "When are you ever going to get the chance to drive a Mercedes on the Autobahn at 100 mph again." She was right and we did. That took care of the desire to drive a hot car when I was over 60 at a much cheaper price point than the $40-50K the Audi would have cost. The money saved let us go to Italy last month.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
The cheaper way to drive a hot car is to rent one for a week or so. In the right place. When my Civic was totaled back in 2018 (I stopped at a red light but the guy behind me did not). I wanted an Audi A4. I ended up with a Corolla--which I am very happy with and which was $18.1K out the door, brand new with only 0.5 miles on it. BUT--we were also in Germany that year and we needed to rent a car for a couple of days. The car we'd chosen was a bit small, so the place was willing to upgrade us to a Mercedes for 10E a day. My wife told me it was a no-brainer: "When are you ever going to get the chance to drive a Mercedes on the Autobahn at 100 mph again." She was right and we did. That took care of the desire to drive a hot car when I was over 60 at a much cheaper price point than the $40-50K the Audi would have cost. The money saved let us go to Italy last month.
I've driven a lot of cars in my life but my favorite was a black 2004 Madza RX-8 which I owned for 15 years. In a bit of lunacy I got it up to 128 at 2 AM one summer night in an open stretch near the Pittsburgh airport. I loved that car but eventually the cost of repair exceeded it's value and I gave it up.

2004-Mazda-RX-8-FrontSide_MARX8043_505x375.jpg

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
I've driven a lot of cars in my life but my favorite was a black 2004 Madza RX-8 which I owned for 15 years. In a bit of lunacy I got it up to 128 at 2 AM one summer night in an open stretch near the Pittsburgh airport. I loved that car but eventually the cost of repair exceeded it's value and I gave it up.

View attachment 579492
Whats your ride now?

retsio

Oct 13, 2021
My wife and I both drive fairly modest BMWs. I have a 3 Series and she's in an X1. While we both enjoy our rides, I am looking to trade mine next Spring for.....well, I'm not sure. I'd think about a BMW 7 Series but damn, that front grille is ugly. So, we'll see.

Ugh.
View attachment 579513

This one is better looking, better driving - just an all-around better car for many purposes.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
This one is better looking, better driving - just an all-around better car for many purposes.
I absolutely hate cars, especially the expense. I never understood the fascination with the beasts? The most beautiful car in the world is my 2011 Hyundai that has been paid for since 2017. I also hate driving. If I can ever afford a self driving car I will get one. I’ll take it to Pep Boys for checkups, but the thing will never be washed or vacuumed out.

I have served my time in hell, driving 30,000 miles some years visiting construction sites in four states.

Reactions: LionJim