Where is the 2021- -2022 roster?

EBHS68

Oct 31, 2021
It's not updated on GoPSUSports yet, but for all intents and purposes you can find it here:

https://www.trackwrestling.com/seasons/MainFrame.jsp?TIM=1635783450834&twSessionId=ytqhproqfd&loadBalanced=true&pageName=TeamRoster.jsp?TIM=1635783466058&twSessionId=ytqhproqfd&teamId=1155649138

One thing I noticed while checking this, it now looks like Brandon Meredith is making another run at 125 after not cutting down last year. Looks like we have another contender for the spot - I'll have to update the spreadsheet.
Thanks!

jack66

Oct 31, 2021
Lion Vision shows a schedule of events for Nov, including press conferences ... nada for wrestling.

I'm sure something is forthcoming but after 7 months of rumors and innuendos, I am anxious for some real-time info.

EBHS68

Oct 31, 2021
Lion Vision shows a schedule of events for Nov, including press conferences ... nada for wrestling.

I'm sure something is forthcoming but after 7 months of rumors and innuendos, I am anxious for some real-time info.
Yes, my point exactly. Why are so many other teams communicating to their fans but us.

Goosfraba

Oct 29, 2021
I agree frustrating for us rabid fans.

So my only big "roster" question at the moment is where do we stand at Heavy? We might be only 1 deep.

Wrestlestat doesn't list Carmenatti and with Seth making a go at football he might either take a pass or just as likely he might see the 285 weight limit in the distant rear view mirror if he is fully committed to football which I believe he is. Who does Track list for Hwt?

Kerk is our man, but it makes me uneasy having that kid forfeit as his backup.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Yes, my point exactly. Why are so many other teams communicating to their fans but us.

the coaches have a process that seems to work. As such, I'm happy to wait for PSU to release information when they are ready to do so.

Other programs have different schedules and processes. Good for them.

The slow release of an updated roster is pretty much a tradition with PSU since CS took over the reigns. It usually leads to a few posts/threads wondering about where the roster is/why is it so slow to be released. You're not the first one to raise the question this year, but you do get the prize for being the first to ask about it on this new board. ;)

Reactions: dbldoofus

backdrft76

Oct 11, 2021
I agree frustrating for us rabid fans.

So my only big roster question at the moment is where do we stand at Heavy? We might be only 1 deep.

Wrestlestat doesn't list Carmenatti and with Seth making a go at football he might either take a pass or as likely he might see the 285 weight limit in the distant rear view mirror if he is he is fully committed to football which I believe he is. What does Track list?

Kerk is our man, but it makes me uneasy having that kid forfeit as his backup.
1 deep at HWT has happened to us in recent years, and we got lucky getting Jan Johnson when the injury to the primary occurred. 1 deep at HWT this year with a guy who was injured last year is again a pretty risky play.

EBHS68

Oct 31, 2021
the coaches have a process that seems to work. As such, I'm happy to wait for PSU to release information when they are ready to do so.

Other programs have different schedules and processes. Good for them.

The slow release of an updated roster is pretty much a tradition with PSU since CS took over the reigns. It usually leads to a few posts/threads wondering about where the roster is/why is it so slow to be released. You're not the first one to raise the question this year, but you do get the prize for being the first to ask about it on this new board. ;)
This is later than the past years.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
It's always interesting to check out the freshmen, to see if there are any surprises on the roster. This year's freshmen are:

Gary Steen, 125, Hermitage (Reynolds), PA
Sean Wang, 141, Great Neck (Great Neck South), NY
Shayne Van Ness, 149, Somerville (Blair Academy), NJ
Alex Facundo, 165, Essexville (Davison), MI
Brian Borden, 165/174, Rupert (Minico), ID
Jack Kelly, 184, Little Silver (Rumson-Fair Haven), NJ
Lucas Cochran, 184/197, Perry (Box Elder), UT

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
It’s always interesting to me that there are 37 guys on the roster, and I counted 18 who legitimately could see time as starters or backups. Setting my subjective count aside, there are 15-20 guys who I assume bust their asses every day and I assume get knocked around by national champions for the right to say they’re a part of the PSU wrestling team, knowing that there’s <1% chance they’ll ever see the mat. Maybe they’ll be lucky enough to get called on for an open tourney or two. Some, if not most, of the guys have solid credentials and could see mat time elsewhere.

It’s also odd to me at times when there’s an injury and we technically do have a backup, but I suspect it’s just not fair or right to put a kid out there when he’s simply not good enough for Big10 wrestling.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
It's always interesting to check out the freshmen, to see if there are any surprises on the roster. This year's freshmen are:

Gary Steen, 125, Hermitage (Reynolds), PA
Sean Wang, 141, Great Neck (Great Neck South), NY
Shayne Van Ness, 149, Somerville (Blair Academy), NJ
Alex Facundo, 165, Essexville (Davison), MI
Brian Borden, 165/174, Rupert (Minico), ID
Jack Kelly, 184, Little Silver (Rumson-Fair Haven), NJ
Lucas Cochran, 184/197, Perry (Box Elder), UT
We know plenty about Steen, Van Ness, and Facundo. Looking up the rest:

Wang: No record of him wrestling this year at all. Registered for Journeyman NY freestyle in April but did not compete. Injury defaulted out of the 2020 NY state postseason. Finished 2nd at 2019 NY freestyle states.

Borden: Looks like he may have just returned from a mission. 2018 HS grad, finished 2nd at states as a SR. Apparently spent 2019 with NLWC, finished 3rd at Mat Town (Kizhan Clarke won the weight), competed in Apr 2019 US Open according to this CDT article:

Kelly: NJ 3rd this year. Also took 2nd at the preseason Garden State Scrap to Brian Soldano. Pinner, looks crossface cradle, bonused in every win this year.

Cochran: 3x UT state champ. Won NHSCA Senior Nationals. Lost 7-0 to Dayton Pitzer at one of the NLWC events this year. Originally an Air Fore commit, flipped to PSU.