Who was your choice for Head Coach in 2014?

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
I was interested In Greg Roman, who was OC for the 49ers at the time. I thought an NFL offensive minded coach might be a good fit to pick up what O'Brien left behind. Roman interviewed for the job and pretty clearly would have taken it if offered.

NitneLiun

Aug 24, 2017
I was intrigued by Roman because he approached Penn State after Paterno was fired, as he did when O'Brien left. Roman had no connections to Penn State but seemed to want to be at Penn State very much.

Reactions: Nitt1300

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I was interested In Greg Roman, who was OC for the 49ers at the time. I thought an NFL offensive minded coach might be a good fit to pick up what O'Brien left behind. Roman interviewed for the job and pretty clearly would have taken it if offered.

Roman - he’s a Jersey guy who had lots of great things to say about Penn State/Paterno. I thought O’Brien was a great choice though since we had a bonafide 5* QB about to arrive. I still think O’Brien was more than solid but left like a wuss. The other serious candidate appeared to be a coach from Green Bay but forgot who that was…in hindsight maybe should have hired LJ. Why not?

Reactions: Nits74

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
It seems you’re trying to second guess the hiring of Franklin.🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
It seems you’re trying to second guess the hiring of Franklin.🤷🏼‍♂️
nope- just seeing if anyone actually had some ideas about who they would hire, either then or now

seems like very few did then- and we already knew that few do now

negative opinions without better ideas are cheap- and worth every penny

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022
Franklin was near the top of my list. I also liked Whisenhunt and Munchak.
I will confess that I wanted Munchak. Kids now only select colleges for money, women, nattys and development at the their position for the NFL. PSU is the land of the hottest chicks who don't wear swim suits in the land, so it has always been about getting in the NFL and playing in big games that matter. I thought Munchak was the best option at the time.

I am now a Franklin Truther, I think he is not stupid and he has certainly others accountable for his journey to elite status. I just hope he learns how to respond at elite status as a coach during a game. He has been below average in games that matter in that category.

Thanks for this post. Penn State fans somehow despite themselves and their self hate are still the best.

Reactions: LionJim