Why did BWI move?

Dogwelder

Oct 8, 2021
I have a basic question. Sorry if already answered somewhere. Did someone buy Rivals, and that’s why BWI moved? Or did someone buy BWI, and that’s why BWI moved? Or did BWI just wake up and decide to move? Or what?

86PSUPaul

Oct 11, 2021
I have a basic question. Sorry if already answered somewhere. Did someone buy Rivals, and that’s why BWI moved? Or did someone buy BWI, and that’s why BWI moved? Or did BWI just wake up and decide to move? Or what?
I am not expert, but I believe Tom sold BWI to ON3, so that is why BWI moved and Rivals is in the process of renaming the PSU Board to Nittany Nation.

edit- so I proved my not expert status, I amend my response to be, what the guy below me says!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I am not expert, but I believe Tom sold BWI to ON3, so that is why BWI moved and Rivals is in the process of renaming the PSU Board to Nittany Nation.

I did? My bank account is looking for that windfall.

I don't know every little detail of the process, but here's a pretty good overview of what happened, which should answer @Dogwelder's questions.

Blue White Illustrated (BWI) was started and owned by Phil Grosz. It was a print publication. BWI also operated the Penn State web site on the Rivals platform.

Phil's wife had a stroke a few years ago, and Phil has had a number of health issues over the years. Earlier this year, he sold the publication to Colman Publishing. I think (not certain) they started out publishing the equivalent of BWI for Michigan athletics, but now own publications that cover several universities.

BWI had a contract with Rivals. That contract was renewed many times over the years. The most recent contract ended on Nov. 1, 2021. Colman Publishing elected to not sign a new contract with Rivals, but signed a contract with On3. Hence, everyone that worked for BWI moved from Rivals to On3.

I'm an asterisk in the entire process, in that I never worked for BWI. However, I had signed a contract with BWI when I moved my board to their site, and was still covered by that.