Why is no one talking about our sorry D for the last two years

Backyard Archer

Joined Aug 15, 2017
Jan 18, 2022
D was pretty ugly but you should expect to beat North Carolina when you hold their Heisman favorite QB to 31 points. Heck, when you consider we lost our best player and were on the field the whole first half because the O was so bad, the D deserves a little credit for halfway keeping us in the game.

Reactions: muscleknight

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
D was pretty ugly but you should expect to beat North Carolina when you hold their Heisman favorite QB to 31 points. Heck, when you consider we lost our best player and were on the field the whole first half because the O was so bad, the D deserves a little credit for halfway keeping us in the game.
I agree. We gave up some big plays. Gotta clean that up. But that O is going to give a lot of people fits. If you told me we’d hold them to 31 I’d fee really good about that.

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022

I don’t think a lot of us realize how much the running clock change made a difference. If the clock had still stopped after 1st downs that could’ve been another 2 possessions for NC and easily could’ve been more than 31 points. Outside of the two interceptions it was also an atrocious night for the defense. Now, I will concede the fact that they were on the field most of the night and probably drained by the time the 4th quarter came, but they still couldn’t get off the field early in the game either.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Honestly, our D held them scoreless for a good portion of the 2nd half and had 2 interceptions on Maye in the 4th quarter. It was a 14-point ballgame and they gave the offense the ball on the UNC 38 with 11:35 left in the game and the offense couldn't do anything with it.

Really, I was frustrated with our D early on, but in hindsight, you can't ask for much more from them against a Heisman-caliber QB and one of the top offenses in college football from last year.

It would be nice if we could have gotten some pressure on Maye, but his loss lies squarely on the OL. The D gave us a chances us in the 2nd half.