Will Betancourt Question

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Is Will on the roster? If so, is he still planning to wrestle at 125#?

Sorry I couldn't find a 2022 - 2023 roster. I am a computer Troglodyte.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Sorry I couldn't find a 2022 - 2023 roster. I am a computer Troglodyte.

I've been checking almost every day since late Aug/early Sep, and PSU has yet to post the 2022-23 roster.

Is Will on the roster? If so, is he still planning to wrestle at 125#?

as @WV lion indicated, he's still a student at PSU. And his Twitter account still says "Wrestler at Penn State University." He tweeted out earlier today.

As to what weight class he's going, the indications were that he'd be in the battle at 125. For whatever reason(s), PSU just does not discuss those type of things in a public forum during the offseason. There were some indications that RBY might not wrestle a full slate of matches, so perhaps 133 for some matches is a possibility.

We may learn more at PSU's media day. (When is that, @GregPickel?)

psupower

Oct 11, 2021
Calling Greg,
When is PSU media day ? See post right above.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
as @WV lion indicated, he's still a student at PSU. And his Twitter account still says "Wrestler at Penn State University." He tweeted out earlier today.

well, as we learned during PSU Wrestling Media Day earlier today from CS, Betancourt is no longer with the team.

Interestingly, if you check out his twitter account, it still indicates:

"Follower Of Christ. Wrestler at Penn State University. world team member"

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
well, as we learned during PSU Wrestling Media Day earlier today from CS, Betancourt is no longer with the team.

Interestingly, if you check out his twitter account, it still indicates:

"Follower Of Christ. Wrestler at Penn State University. world team member"
Still appears to be in the directory, too, so this is a head scratcher. I'm going to reach out to him today.

Reactions: Hlstone

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Openings in PSU lineup are rare, so with Robbie out, he could’ve been in the mix at 125. I vaguely recall from his offseason interviews that he didn’t want to go 125 anymore.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Openings in PSU lineup are rare, so with Robbie out, he could’ve been in the mix at 125. I vaguely recall from his offseason interviews that he didn’t want to go 125 anymore.
He didn't want to go 133, that is why he left Ohio State

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I saw somewhere that Ohio state didn't release him. Don't know if there is any truth to it.
If true, that’s just being petty. The transfer portal has been a commodity for several years now. Blocking a kid from transferring and competing elsewhere is just a childish move at this point. But then again, considering those involved, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
If true, that’s just being petty. The transfer portal has been a commodity for several years now. Blocking a kid from transferring and competing elsewhere is just a childish move at this point. But then again, considering those involved, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.
Knowing how we know Tom Ryan. Do this surprise anyone ? Cael would NEVER hold a kid back. Other wrestlers need to know this about him. Hopefully Betancourt will be on our roster come January when we really need him.