With Individual Coaches/Players meetings this week

ClarkstonMark

Oct 12, 2021
I guess. Ben and Favre never transferred though - they were underrated coming out of high school. Would love to see the list of NFL QBs who were transfers. The list of never-were’s is a mile long (Mitch Mustain maybe the best example). Good luck to him.
Hurts Fields Wilson Burrow are the ones that come to mind immediately

Reactions: LB99
Oct 12, 2021
I guess. Ben and Favre never transferred though - they were underrated coming out of high school. Would love to see the list of NFL QBs who were transfers. The list of never-were’s is a mile long (Mitch Mustain maybe the best example). Good luck to him.
Here's a list of 30 that isn't comprehensive - https://www.al.com/sports/g66l-2019...ble-quarterback-transfers-over-the-years.html

Mustain is number 11 on the list. The most notable ones are Jeff Hostetler (for PSU fans anyway), Troy Aikman, Jeff George (infamous), Scott Frost (because he was an NFL safety), Joe Flacco, Nick Foles ( lots of Eagles fans here), Russell Wilson, Baker Mayfield, and Kyler Murray.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Here's a list that isn't comprehensive - https://www.al.com/sports/g66l-2019...ble-quarterback-transfers-over-the-years.html

Mustain is number 11 on the list. The most notable ones are Jeff Hostetler (for PSU fans anyway), Troy Aikman, Jeff George (infamous), Scott Frost (because he was an NFL safety), Joe Flacco, Nick Foles ( lots of Eagles fans here), Russell Wilson, Baker Mayfield, and Kyler Murray.

How many never transferred? It’s certainly more common since the transfer rules have loosened, but my point still stands. Just as good a chance as making the NFL waiting your turn as you are transferring.

Oct 12, 2021
How many never transferred? It’s certainly more common since the transfer rules have loosened, but my point still stands. Just as good a chance as making the NFL waiting your turn as you are transferring.
Of course. You asked for a list. I'm into info. It's fun to look up stuff. At least it is for me. :) Logically, how many QBs are there at all levels in college FB? How many NFL teams are there? What is the longevity of an NFL QB? Only so many spots available. In the more immediate sense, a guy just wants to play now, and transferring is not difficult. There are more takers than there were ten years ago, let alone thirty or forty years ago. PSU has two guys who transferred in the last how many years? Both ended up playing more at the school to which they transferred. Good for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnighter

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Lawrence was starter by game 4 of true freshman season and Bryant then transferred. Being #2 at a “big time” school doesn’t get you drafted if you never get that chance. But being a starter at a “lower tiered school” gets you exposure. The NFL has had quite a few successful QBs who played at “lower tiered” schools. Big Ben and Favre come to mind. With that being said, personally, I think Villeaux has the ability to play somewhere pretty reputable.
There's little guarantee that Villeaux would be #2 next year, and that's enough for him to go looking.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Of course. You asked for a list. I'm into info. It's fun to look up stuff. At least it is for me. :) Logically, how many QBs are there at all levels in college FB? How many NFL teams are there? What is the longevity of an NFL QB? Only so many spots available. In the more immediate sense, a guy just wants to play now, and transferring is not difficult. There are more takers than there were ten years ago, let alone thirty or forty years ago. PSU has two guys who transferred in the last how many years? Both ended up playing more at the school to which they transferred. Good for them.

I guess if it’s mostly about playing, sure, transfer. If you’re good enough you’ll get a shot no matter where you are. But hope this works out for him and I’m sure it will one way or another. Being a college QB has immeasurable fringe benefits…

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
I guess if it’s mostly about playing, sure, transfer. If you’re good enough you’ll get a shot no matter where you are. But hope this works out for him and I’m sure it will one way or another. Being a college QB has immeasurable fringe benefits…
You looking at his gram? 🤣

• Love

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Lawrence was second string until the QB in front of him was pulled. Stroud waited until Fields left. Could happen anywhere. Look - I don’t care that much, but being #2 at a big time school beats starting at a lower tiered school. You’re one snap away from starting. Just my opinion.
Lawrence split time with the "starter" right off the bat, in his true frosh season, and took over for good 5 games in. Stroud was redshirted his frosh year and was the starting QB his redshirt freshman year. How does that compare to a guy knowing he's going to sit for 3 years, or longer?

Reactions: LB99

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Lawrence split time with the "starter" right off the bat, in his true frosh season, and took over for good 5 games in. Stroud was redshirted his frosh year and was the starting QB his redshirt freshman year. How does that compare to a guy knowing he's going to sit for 3 years, or longer?

Remove Lawrence - use any other QB who waited for his turn to start. I

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Remove Lawrence - use any other QB who waited for his turn to start. I

Can't, 'cause there ain't none.

We're talking about in the "modern age" of college football where transferring is easy ... and we're talking about "Elite 11" level QBs who are stuck in a situation where they will probably never take a meaningful snap in their careers, barring injury or other unforeseen catastrophe.

YOU find one. It's your unsupported/unsupportable? contention.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Can't, 'cause there ain't none.

We're talking about in the "modern age" of college football where transferring is easy ... and we're talking about "Elite 11" level QBs who are stuck in a situation where they will probably never take a meaningful snap in their careers, barring injury or other unforeseen catastrophe.

YOU find one. It's your unsupported/unsupportable? contention.

Ok - will have for you tomorrow….

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
You interjected Lawrence into the conversation.

Big mistake it appears…instead of a counterpoint all anyone does is point to the fact that Lawrence didn’t have to wait long. Proof of waiting is on our roster in Allar. But, keep thinking transferring is the key to NFL success…

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Big mistake it appears…instead of a counterpoint all anyone does is point to the fact that Lawrence didn’t have to wait long. Proof of waiting is on our roster in Allar. But, keep thinking transferring is the key to NFL success…
You talk in circles. Nobody said transferring is the key to NFL success. You keep putting words in people’s mouths. Allar is a true freshman. He waited 1 yr behind a sixth year senior. Villeaux is a rising Jr who has the rising sophomore phenom about to start ahead of him. He didn’t even get in to play mop up duty this year. You do the math. What’s the most likely scenario for Villeaux to play?

Reactions: FTLPSU

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Ok - will have for you tomorrow….
Good luck! But you shouldn't waste your time searching for the golden fleece when it's so obviously a bad take. Top QB prospects aren't just sitting around on the bench for their entire career, having never gotten their shot to lead the team, hoping to get their shot via injury or terrible performance by an even more highly touted younger kid. You're stuck in a time warp, again.

• Haha

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Well, that isn't true, either ... but that wasn't the original discussion.

Top kids will come in when they have to wait a year or so while an established QB completes his tenure ... sure.

That's not at all what this is, however.

Veilleux was an Elite 11 Finals QB who actually DID that ... he waited for old man Clifford to get his AARP card and move on ... and he was "rewarded" with the reality that they brought in an even bigger stud who passed him on the depth chart and is going to be the starter for the next 3 years. Veilleux isn't just some 2-star/low 3 star kid who's toiling away, happy to be here and waiting for his big break, but just enjoying the experience/scenery in the meantime. He's a top kid, who just happens to have been passed by an uber-stud who will be around for as long as he is. If football is a large part of his life, he'd be stupid to sit around and be a backup when he could go somewhere else and be an immediate impact guy. NFL or no (that's a ways off), the kid can go somewhere decent and be at the very least in the mix for meaningful snaps right away ... or he can go to a lower school and be their immediate starter. If Allar wasn't around? Yeah, he'd probably be dumb for portalling out, if he otherwise liked it at PSU ... but Allar is around.

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
You talk in circles. Nobody said transferring is the key to NFL success. You keep putting words in people’s mouths. Allar is a true freshman. He waited 1 yr behind a sixth year senior. Villeaux is a rising Jr who has the rising sophomore phenom about to start ahead of him. He didn’t even get in to play mop up duty this year. You do the math. What’s the most likely scenario for Villeaux to play?

Are we saying ‘play’ or ‘make the NFL’? I’ll concede the former.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Well, that isn't true, either ... but that wasn't the original discussion.

Top kids will come in when they have to wait a year or so while an established QB completes his tenure ... sure.

That's not at all what this is, however.

Veilleux was an Elite 11 Finals QB who actually DID that ... he waited for old man Clifford to get his AARP card and move on ... and he was "rewarded" with the reality that they brought in an even bigger stud who passed him on the depth chart and is going to be the starter for the next 3 years. Veilleux isn't just some 2-star/low 3 star kid who's toiling away, happy to be here and waiting for his big break, but just enjoying the experience/scenery in the meantime He's a top kid, who just happens to have been passed by an uber-stud who will be around for as long as he is. If football is a large part of his life, he be stupid to sit around and be a backup when he could go somewhere else and be an immediate impact guy. NFL or no (that's a ways off), the kid can go somewhere decent and be at the very least in the mix for meaningful snaps right away ... or he can go to a lower school and be their immediate starter. If Allar wasn't around? Yeah, he'd probably be dumb for portalling out, if he otherwise liked it at PSU ... but Allar is around.

Good post - we’ll see.

Srg111

Nov 25, 2021
Okay, I had to check. HOLY SHIAT.
The worst part is the need to recruit the current team. How do we stop someone like Adbul Carter from leaving if another school comes and offers him a huge sum of money? NIL dollars can change things in a hurry. Similarly, if we had a huge fund, we could go and buy players at positions of need.

Latest posts