With Individual Coaches/Players meetings this week

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
I am most curious about the status of Smith Vilbert (DE). Hoping he stays @ PSU.

Anyone have speculation on who you think might portal out?

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
I always worry about the highly ranked guys coming out of high school that didn't get any run. I hope we don't see surprises in the WR group, we can't afford them.

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
I always worry about the highly ranked guys coming out of high school that didn't get any run. I hope we don't see surprises in the WR group, we can't afford them.
Another concern for me would be losing QB Christian Veilleux. I think it will be a hard sell on Franklin's part to convince him to stay. If he goes I hope it isn't within the B1G.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I agree, but from his playing perspective, there is little reason to stay.

Not worth being a #2 in the B1G? I mean, where do you go that will guarantee a starting job? He doesn't have a big body of work. Kerry Collins was the #2 at one point....

Reactions: Got GSPs

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Just my 2 cents, and I hate to project a kid's future. They are all PSU kids and we all appreciate what they have done for the program. To the best of my knowledge, they have all stayed out of trouble and they have all worked towards their degrees.

But, for the most part, they only have a short amount of time in this life to play this game. There are exceptions, but the rule is still just a short window of opportunity.

I think the following are ripe to transfer out

Keyvone Lee
Christian Velliuex
Smith Vilbert
Jimmy Christ
Golden Israel Achumba
Ibrahim Traore
Malick Meiga
Jaden Dottin

There may be others, but I just looked at the positions, and how much I have seen these guys play and their class. level.

Last edited:

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Not worth being a #2 in the B1G? I mean, where do you go that will guarantee a starting job? He doesn't have a big body of work. Kerry Collins was the #2 at one point....
Superior athletes don't strive to be insurance policies. They aren't wired to think that way. Starting is better than wishing and hoping....even if it means in the MAC. It's not like guys don't make NFL rosters every year from MAC teams.
In the past, a transfer was costly...not any more.
We as fans want to keep everyone "we" have, recruit 25 blue chips and add difference makers from the portal. That's not the real world.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Just my 2 cents, and I hate to project a kid's future. They are all PSU kids and we all apprecieate what they have done for the program. To the best of my knowledge, they have all stayed out of trouble and they have all worked towards their degrees.

But, for the most part, they only have a short amount of time in this life to play this game. There are exceptions, but the rule is still just a short window of opportunity.

Keyvone Lee
Christian Velliuex
Smith Vilbert
Jimmy Christ
Golden Israel Achumba
Ibrahim Traore
Malick Meiga
Jaden Dottin

There may be others, but I just looked at the positions, and how much I have seen these guys play and their class. level.
about right

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Superior athletes don't strive to be insurance policies. They aren't wired to think that way. Starting is better than wishing and hoping....even if it means in the MAC. It's not like guys don't make NFL rosters every year from MAC teams.
We as fans want to keep everyone "we" have, recruit 25 blue chips and add difference makers from the portal. That's not the real world.

I don't care either way, but football isn't guaranteed either. Transfer to Stanford.

lemonears

Oct 31, 2021
Just my 2 cents, and I hate to project a kid's future. They are all PSU kids and we all apprecieate what they have done for the program. To the best of my knowledge, they have all stayed out of trouble and they have all worked towards their degrees.

Keyvone Lee
Christian Velliuex
Smith Vilbert
Jimmy Christ
Golden Israel Achumba
Ibrahim Traore
Malick Meiga
Jaden Dottin

Good list. The bottom line is simply that PSU has too many talented players coming back next year and all want tons of playing time. They all can't get tons of playing time so many will transfer out. Also, our 2023 recruits are also good so they will factor into decisions of current players. Velliuex could well be another Levis.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Good list. The bottom line is simply that PSU has too many talented players coming back next year and all want tons of playing time. They all can't get tons of playing time so many will transfer out. Also, our 2023 recruits are also good so they will factor into decisions of current players. Velliuex could well be another Levis.
There is little doubt that if CV transfers and grabs a starting job.....with the first subpar Allar game.....CV never got a chance here will be the cry.

Ceasar

Oct 7, 2021
Good question by the OP about Vilbert. I hope he stays, to provide more quality depth. A DE room of Isaac, Chop, DDS, Vanover, Vilbert, Fisher and Townley would be deep, experienced and talented. If Vilbert does not return I wonder if the staff lobbies Tarburton to use his 6th year?
Another post mentioned WRs. The only backup WRs I hope we keep are Saunders, Driver and Johnson. I think it is inevitable that most of the others will leave at some point prior to the end of their eligibility.

Reactions: Nittany

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
You’re making a comparison to 1993? Some things have changed since then. Playing is the goal for these kids. 4 star QBs don’t pick a school to be a career backup.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
You’re making a comparison to 1993? Some things have changed since then. Playing is the goal for these kids. 4 star QBs don’t pick a school to be a career backup.

So was Trevor Lawrence then I guess....

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Just my 2 cents, and I hate to project a kid's future. They are all PSU kids and we all appreciate what they have done for the program. To the best of my knowledge, they have all stayed out of trouble and they have all worked towards their degrees.

Keyvone Lee
Christian Velliuex
Smith Vilbert
Jimmy Christ
Golden Israel Achumba
Ibrahim Traore
Malick Meiga
Jaden Dottin

I am not sure what happened to Jaden Dottin as the season went on but I believe he started a game early this season and had playing time and some targets early on. The last half of the season though I don't think he had any snaps.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Ok Fine Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Shadow99

Oct 25, 2021

Keyvone Lee
Christian Velliuex
Smith Vilbert
Jimmy Christ
Golden Israel Achumba
Ibrahim Traore
Malick Meiga
Jaden Dottin

Obviously Keyvone Lee has been a prime point of discussion regarding the portal due to the emergence of the 2 true freshmen...that said, unless he is accepting nothing less than being a starter, there are PLENTY of carries for a #3 RB option during a long season...there are no other remaining scholarship RB's on the roster besides the 2 freshmen and the lone committed RB recruit will likely have a rehab year in 2023... 🤷‍♂️

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021

Keyvone Lee
Christian Velliuex
Smith Vilbert
Jimmy Christ
Golden Israel Achumba
Ibrahim Traore
Malick Meiga
Jaden Dottin

I think that is a good list but hoping Smith Vilbert decides to stay ala Hakeem Beamon.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
So was Trevor Lawrence then I guess....
Ok?? I’m sorry but I don’t get your point. Lawrence was the #1 overall QB recruit in his class, a consensus 5 star recruit, and played as a true freshman leading Clemson to a National Championship. I’m not sure what that has to do with CV?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Ok?? I’m sorry but I don’t get your point. Lawrence was the #1 overall QB recruit in his class, a consensus 5 star recruit, and played as a true freshman leading Clemson to a National Championship. I’m not sure what that has to do with CV?

Lawrence was second string until the QB in front of him was pulled. Stroud waited until Fields left. Could happen anywhere. Look - I don’t care that much, but being #2 at a big time school beats starting at a lower tiered school. You’re one snap away from starting. Just my opinion.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Lawrence was second string until the QB in front of him was pulled. Stroud waited until Fields left. Could happen anywhere. Look - I don’t care that much, but being #2 at a big time school beats starting at a lower tiered school. You’re one snap away from starting. Just my opinion.
Fields actually transfered after he basically rode the bench his freshman year too.

Reactions: Midnighter

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
Big time school or small time school who cares? I’d rather start at the school where your poll participants attend. 😳

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021

Plus if he stays, he’s behind Allar AT LEAST, which means maybe what, 60 snaps of game film over the next few years? OR he transfers, wins the gig somewhere in the MAC/SWAC/AAC….. etc and gets 2-3 seasons of production

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Lawrence was starter by game 4 of true freshman season and Bryant then transferred. Being #2 at a “big time” school doesn’t get you drafted if you never get that chance. But being a starter at a “lower tiered school” gets you exposure. The NFL has had quite a few successful QBs who played at “lower tiered” schools. Big Ben and Favre come to mind. With that being said, personally, I think Villeaux has the ability to play somewhere pretty reputable.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Lawrence was starter by game 4 of true freshman season and Bryant then transferred. Being #2 at a “big time” school doesn’t get you drafted if you never get that chance. But being a starter at a “lower tiered school” gets you exposure. The NFL has had quite a few successful QBs who played at “lower tiered” schools. Big Ben and Favre come to mind. With that being said, personally, I think Villeaux has the ability to play somewhere pretty reputable.

I guess. Ben and Favre never transferred though - they were underrated coming out of high school. Would love to see the list of NFL QBs who were transfers. The list of never-were’s is a mile long (Mitch Mustain maybe the best example). Good luck to him.