Wrestlers vs Terrence Cody (Wed. Morning Crooms Say)

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td valign="top"> <font size="4" face="Tahoma">Croom shuffles line to deal with Bama nose tackle</font>

<font size="2" face="Tahoma">11/12/2008 5:13:14 AM
Daily Journal</font></p> </td> <td valign="top"> <div align="center">
<table border="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>​
</div>
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

<font size="2" face="Tahoma">BY BRAD LOCKE
Daily Journal

STARKVILLE - He was being coy about his exact plans, but Mississippi State coach Sylvester Croom will likely use two centers against No. 1 Alabama on Saturday.

It just so happens that both of them, starter J.C. Brignone and backup D.J. Looney, were all-star wrestlers in high school. They'll be in a heavyweight battle against the Crimson Tide's defensive line, which is led by 6-foot-5, 365-pound nose guard Terrence Cody.

"<span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;">We're just trying to get better, try different things and see how things will work," Croom said</span>, and that's about all he cared to say about it at Tuesday's press conference.

Brignone, a sophomore, is listed on this week's depth chart as first-team left guard, his original position. Looney is listed as first-team center.

Cody has 16 tackles, including 3.5 tackles for loss, but what he does best is take up space and occupy multiple blockers.

And that's what makes the experience of Brignone and Looney in the wrestling ring so important. Brignone (6-1, 290) was a three-time Mississippi state champ, while Looney was Alabama's top-rated high school wrestler.

Croom said that experience can translate well to playing center.

<span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;">"They've usually gone up against guys ... bigger than them consistently, particularly when you're wrestling heavyweight," Croom said. "Their mindset is going into a one-on-one battle against a guy who's probably more physical; they've been used to doing that."</span>

While Croom hopes the lineup shuffle pays off against Alabama, it's not just a one-game strategy. <span style="text-decoration: underline; color: rgb(51, 204, 102);">Guard play has been a trouble spot all season for State.</span>

Brignone will be replacing senior Anthony Strauder.

Craig Jenkins will make his third straight start at right guard as Michael Gates continues to recover from a toe injury.

Looney, a 6-1, 290-pound redshirt freshman, hasn't played since Week 2, and this will be his first SEC action.

"He's taking everything pretty well, and I know with Craig and me next to him, I think he'll be fine," Brignone said.

The key against Cody, Croom said, will be leverage. Brignone and Looney are both much smaller than Cody, but the hope is that they can exploit their lower center of gravity.

'My bag of tricks'
And Brignone will use lessons learned from high school.

"When I went to nationals my junior year, I faced the biggest 14-year-old I'd ever seen in my life. That was the first loss I'd had in two years," Brignone said.

"The bigger they are, the harder it is to go against them. ... I'm going to have to bring something out of my bag of tricks."</font>
</p>

tat2ed

Nov 1, 2007
So are they going to do the double dropkick like the Rock and Roll Express?

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004

Question: if this was such a great idea for this game, why haven't we used them like this the whole year?

rebelrouseri

Jan 24, 2007
Seems like center-qb consistency is pretty important. Plus, Cody hasn't been that dominate since his injury in the OM game.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
<font size="2">Looney, a 6-1, 290-pound redshirt freshman, hasn't played since Week 2, and this will be his first SEC action.

I think I am betting some major $$$ on Bama....</font>

Gene Swindoll

Jul 28, 2008
i read that several times that cody wanted to come to state.....reminds me of when croom told an assistant coach that brandon james (florida) was too small and thus didn't offer.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
The Terrance Codys and Brandon Jameses of the college football recruiting world were declared off-limits to Croom by LT because of fear over the meddling of the NCAA following probation. You see, in Backer's world, Croom's recruiting has sucked for 5 years because LT hamstrung him. It has nothing to do with the fact that Croom has no F'n clue what he's doing and, even if he did, he's too damn lazy to actually do it.

I swear, the excuses the sheep make for this blundering, incompetent dolt defy sanity.

graddawg

Jun 4, 2007
You sure about that? Isn't Cody originally from Alabama even though he played at GCCC? I thought his recruitment was over the minute Bama offered.

rebelrouseri

Jan 24, 2007
said he was overlooked by UM and MSU and AU and a bunch of others (probably due to being a big fat tub of goo).