WTF was with the fair catches on the kickoffs?!?

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
Why surrender 10-20 yards, or maybe more, right off the bat? Just about the dumbest thing I have ever seen in almost 50 years of watching football.

Reactions: TheGlovStillRules

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
You do know that you get the ball at the 25 when you fair catch and you are NOT surrendering 10-20 yards every time. Congrats, you the win the dumbest post award.

Lol, you're right on all accounts. I actually feel better knowing that now. Looks like the change was made in 2018. While I would still like seeing it returned, especially when catching it around the 11, it's now only mildly egregious.

Reactions: TheGlovStillRules

Nittany.Lion

Oct 6, 2021
Lol, you're right on all accounts. I actually feel better knowing that now. Looks like the change was made in 2018. While I would still like seeing it returned, especially when catching it around the 11, it's now only mildly egregious.
LOL, apparently you haven't been too observant during the last few years of watching football. You will not live this down, I will not forget, LOL. Glove liked your post, he should share in your shame.

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
Don't feel bad, I had no clue on the OT rule changes until last week myself..

Reactions: s1uggo72

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
LOL, apparently you haven't been too observant during the last few years of watching football. You will not live this down, I will not forget, LOL. Glove liked your post, he should share in your shame.
If the "smart" play in college football now is to call a fair catch and take the ball at the 25, is it no longer an advantage to have a kicker that kicks the ball out of the end zone for a touchback every time?

Apparently there are better odds taking a touchback than actually returning a kick right? Shouldn't the strategy be to try and kick the ball higher and to the 5/10 yard line? At least there's a chance the return man muffs the fair catch.

Or does every other team still return kickoffs?

NittanyChris

Oct 12, 2021
So what is the benefit of this rule to the game of football? All it does is essentially eliminate the kickoff return as a play. If you really wanted to do that just start the team at the 25 and be done with it. Dumb rule. Boring.

86PSUPaul

Oct 11, 2021
So what is the benefit of this rule to the game of football? All it does is essentially eliminate the kickoff return as a play. If you really wanted to do that just start the team at the 25 and be done with it. Dumb rule. Boring.
The benefit was to reduce injuries on kickoff returns, but still allow someone to return if they want,or if they muff the catch, which almost happened to us last night.
though I do not agree with the rule, it is, and should be, football!

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021

You think there is something to live down? Ha, I've got a million other much better transgressions if you were a little more observant.

Reactions: TiogaLion

NittanyChris

Oct 12, 2021
The benefit was to reduce injuries on kickoff returns, but still allow someone to return if they want,or if they muff the catch, which almost happened to us last night.
though I do not agree with the rule, it is, and should be, football!
So, less injuries and less football. Flag football is right around the corner!

Reactions: 86PSUPaul

Waaaaaaaany

Oct 13, 2021
If the "smart" play in college football now is to call a fair catch and take the ball at the 25, is it no longer an advantage to have a kicker that kicks the ball out of the end zone for a touchback every time?

Apparently there are better odds taking a touchback than actually returning a kick right? Shouldn't the strategy be to try and kick the ball higher and to the 5/10 yard line? At least there's a chance the return man muffs the fair catch.

Or does every other team still return kickoffs?
I'm surprised no one has started to squib kick every kickoff. Get that ball hitting the ground around the 35 and still heading toward the end zone with it bouncing around. Harder to catch and a live ball if they don't.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul

Nittany.Lion

Oct 6, 2021
You think there is something to live down? Ha, I've got a million other much better transgressions if you were a little more observant.

LOL, that's your response/defense, that you're more of a dufus than I thought or noticed??

Fayette_LION

Oct 31, 2021
Why surrender 10-20 yards, or maybe more, right off the bat? Just about the dumbest thing I have ever seen in almost 50 years of watching football.
Most caught balls kicked from the 35 result in teams not making the 20 yard line. It's a sucker try to kick short and tackle you before the 20. Good call by Franklin and/or Lorig

Reactions: Hotshoe

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
Most caught balls kicked from the 35 result in teams not making the 20 yard line. It's a sucker try to kick short and tackle you before the 20. Good call by Franklin and/or Lorig
Yep, especially against a team with as many great athletes on their KO coverage teams as oh-high-ya does.

And it sure beats last season where Ford would try and return the KO's and PSU ended up starting drives at the 15-18 yard line.

;)

gogolion

Oct 12, 2021
Shouldn't the strategy be to try and kick the ball higher and to the 5/10 yard line? At least there's a chance the return man muffs the fair catch.
I feel like this is what OSU was trying to do. Almost every kick was around the 10, then they kicked one much shorter and an "up man" had to field it. After that the next kicks were into the end zone.