Yet again at PSU: Interim to permanent (Dean, College of IST)

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
At PSU, does the interim person ever not get the job permanently?

See the link below. From the article:

“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Andrea Tapia has been named the permanent dean of the Penn State College of Information Sciences and Technology (IST), effective May 1. Tapia has held the role in an interim capacity since August 2023.

As dean, Tapia will oversee all aspects of Penn State’s second-youngest academic college, including its pursuit of excellence and innovation in information technology education and research; initiatives to attract students, faculty and staff and support their development; an ongoing commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging; and stewardship of the college’s financial resources.

Tapia was selected following a national search led by an 18-member committee and chaired by Clarence Lang, Susan Welch Dean and professor of African American Studies in the College of the Liberal Arts.“

Of course, the interim was named permanent after a NATIONAL. SEARCH. o_O . Maybe no one from the outside wants to come to PSU. 😞

Last edited:

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
She has been with IST for a long time and has been part of the reason why the College of IST has been so successful. The College of IST sets kids up for success and a majority of the students have jobs lined up before they graduate. Depending on the program the students also graduate with some NSA certifications.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
She has been with IST for a long time and has been part of the reason why the College of IST has been so successful. The College of IST sets kids up for success and a majority of the students have jobs lined up before they graduate. Depending on the program the students also graduate with some NSA certifications.

Fair, but what about new blood? There must be qualified people on the outside. The pattern at PSU is clear. Be named interim, wait through a NATIONAL. SEARCH. o_O , be named permanent. Is this common in academia?

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
I think she is a perfect up front person for the Penn State College of Information Sciences and Technology.

Reactions: BobPSU92

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Fair, but what about new blood? There must be qualified people on the outside. The pattern at PSU is clear. Be named interim, wait through a NATIONAL. SEARCH. o_O , be named permanent. Is this common in academia?
I am going to hypothesize about this one as I have no insight into the search, but since the school has been successful and kids come from around the world to IST(first hand knowledge of this) I am thinking that the new blood being interviewed with things that would maybe negatively disrupt that success? I think that she had the upper hand in the search since she has been there since 2002, and has been part of the success of growing the college since IST only started in 1999. The College of IST to me seems to be a unique program because it is not your standard Comp Sci program which falls under Engineering, and I am not sure if there is another college like it at other universities and new blood they interviewed may not be of the same mindset and wanted to turn it into a regular Comp Sci program. I don't know but I think the College of IST is in good hands. Only time will tell....

Latest posts