“Cowboys Taking a Major Risk With Dak Prescott's Contract Situation”

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Lucifers Advocate here:

Let's say Jerry goes all in on Dak before the season and gives Dak a new contract which will have a big guarantee, and Dak suffers a Joe Theisman broken leg or something bad. Jerry loses........
There have only been 2 such injuries in NFL history. And in one case (Alex Smith), he made it back. Chances are pretty low of it happening and even lower that it would be career-ending. But if Jerry’s worried about that, pay more money to get an injury guarantee to be nixed from the contract.
Let's say Jerry doesn't sign him before the season and Dak plays final year of his contract and suffers a Joe Theisman broken leg. Dak loses
Not really. Kirk Cousins just signed a pretty damn good deal with the Falcons on the heels (pun intended) of an Achilles injury. Dak would have a ton of suitors in Free Agency, many of whom would certainly roll the dice on him with a deal if all he had was something similar to the ankle injury from 3-4 years ago.
It's a big gamble for both of them either way but I think if I'm Jerry I don't sign him and then try and negotiate after the season.
He’ll be negotiating against a minimum of 20 teams, all of whom would upgrade with Dak at QB. Pretty damn risky move.

If he has another big year like this past year its confirmation for Jerry, if he doesn't have a good year, its negotiating power for Jerry.
You don’t look for negotiating power in unrestricted free agency. There’s none to be had for a QB of Dak’s caliber. He’ll get a better offer than Dallas can make him if he rides all the way through with no deal…..guaranteed. Someone will have more cap room and be willing to use it. The only questions are if he’d take less to stay in Dallas, and, if so, how much less before it becomes untenable?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He’ll be negotiating against a minimum of 20 teams, all of whom would upgrade with Dak at QB. Pretty damn risky move.
again terd tapley ladies and gentleman

20 teams, let see:
atlanta- just signed cousins, no
Baltimore, no
Buffalo, no
Rams with stafford. no
Miami with tua, no
San Fran, no
Houston with stroud, no
KC, no
Philly with hurts no
Bucs just gave mayfield money, no
Jags with Lawrence, no
Cindy with burrow, no
Chargers with herbert, no
Bears just got Williams with 1st pick, no
Arizona has Murray, no
clev, has watson, no
denver, nope, 85 million cap hit due to russel Wilson over the next 2 years so no big money qb going there

so that’s 17 for sure NO…. Over Half the league wont have a spot for him… take the cowboys out, and its almost 60 percrnt So the ol 20 minimum sounds like Hines 4 homers…. Straight. BS

youd be looking at detroit, but I think Goff would have another year
sesttle, New Orleans, Washington, giants, jets saying rodgers quits, , raiders, Minnesota and New England

pitt maybe but unlikely, same with Tennessee, Carolina and Indy as they all have young qbs they seem happy with.

this is also saying none of the above teams draft a qb this draft.. which is unlikely. You can count on at least 1 if not 2 of those teams to draft rookie qbs who they will not want to stunt the growth of.

the suitors for dak arent great situations— but your looking at 8-9 suitors not 20.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You don’t look for negotiating power in unrestricted free agency. There’s none to be had for a QB of Dak’s caliber. He’ll get a better offer than Dallas can make him if he rides all the way through with no deal…..guaranteed. Someone will have more cap room and be willing to use it. The only questions are if he’d take less to stay in Dallas, and, if so, how much less before it becomes untenable?

this is also terd tapley at his finest.

dak is set to be the highest cap hit in the league next season. And the second highest dead money hit ever.

meaning it Would also be impossible for anyone to outbid Dallas for dak next off season bc it’s unlikely any team will have 50 million of dead space of their cap open for 1 playe and be able to fill out a roster , but Dallas will Bc they are already being forced to do so.

so Dallas will be the highest bidder now or next off season if they choose to be, they won’t have to be worried about being out bid or another team having more cap space.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
this is also terd tapley at his finest.

dak is set to be the highest cap hit in the league next season.
Wrong again, clown. Deshaun Watson checking in next year at over $60 million. Many others will be higher in the coming years, with the elevated contract values. FFS, do you even know what and where Google is?

And the second highest dead money hit ever.

IMG_6079.gif
This statement doesn’t even make any sense or have any relevance. Its the last year of the deal. There is no dead money to assume unless they were just going to cut him before the start of the season, which would not ever happen. I’m not sure you even know what “dead money” is. Actually, I’m 100% certain that you don’t.

meaning it Would also be impossible for anyone to outbid Dallas for dak next off season bc it’s unlikely any team will have 50 million of dead space of their cap open for 1 playe and be able to fill out a roster , but Dallas will Bc they are already being forced to do so.
The dead money is for THIS year, you 17ing mongoloid. Jesus. If Dallas cuts or trades him THIS year (and they can’t trade him without him waiving No-Trade clause), as in before the 2024 season starts, that is their cap hit. Next offseason he is a free 17ing agent. Zero cap hit, zero dead cap hit, unless he extends before this season begins.

so Dallas will be the highest bidder now or next off season if they choose to be, they won’t have to be worried about being out bid or another team having more cap space.

All this is based on a bogus premise so its not really worth responding to. But the cost to sign him next year is going to be guaranteed to be higher than to extend this year, and they lose any flexibility with this year’s cap hit. Those are a bunch of big words like “cap” and “hit” that you’ve already proven that you don’t understand, but that is the reality.

It takes a lot of effort to be as ignorant as you are on this topic, and at the same time adamant that you’re the smartest guy in the room. I commend you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chesusdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Wrong again, clown. Deshaun Watson checking in next year at over $60 million. Many others will be higher in the coming years, with the elevated contract values. FFS, do you even know what and where Google is?

View attachment 548178
This statement doesn’t even make any sense or have any relevance. Its the last year of the deal. There is no dead money to assume unless they were just going to cut him before the start of the season, which would not ever happen. I’m not sure you even know what “dead money” is. Actually, I’m 100% certain that you don’t.

The dead money is for THIS year, you 17ing mongoloid. Jesus. If Dallas cuts or trades him THIS year (and they can’t trade him without him waiving No-Trade clause), as in before the 2024 season starts, that is their cap hit. Next offseason he is a free 17ing agent. Zero cap hit, zero dead cap hit, unless he extends before this season begins.

All this is based on a bogus premise so its not really worth responding to. But the cost to sign him next year is going to be guaranteed to be higher than to extend this year, and they lose any flexibility with this year’s cap hit. Those are a bunch of big words like “cap” and “hit” that you’ve already proven that you don’t understand, but that is the reality.

It takes a lot of effort to be as ignorant as you are on this topic, and at the same time adamant that you’re the smartest guy in the room. I commend you.
God you are fckjnt stupid. Yes people make more money but Dak is the biggest hit to the actual cap. Due to the way his contract is structured

Yes the dead money is the highest in the league. Meaning they’d have that much money to spend on him next season.., meaning Dallas will be able to pay more than anyone else

nice call on the 20 teams minimum that would be interesting in him

you clearly no nothing about salary caps and what teams can and can’t do… on top of no being able to evaluate or looking up basic information

TERD TAPLEY EVERYONE

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Nice article written 3 days ago on Dak's contract situation.

From the article "Prescott signed a four-year, $160 million contract in 2021, which included no-trade and no-tag clauses. With no extension forthcoming, Prescott is on his way toward free agency in 2025. If Dallas doesn't eventually sign the QB to an extension, he'd still count $40.46 million against the 2025 salary cap."

I think a deal with the Cowboys eventually gets done. If they don't extend him or resign him, not much in free agency that would be an upgrade.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
God you are fckjnt stupid. Yes people make more money but Dak is the biggest hit to the actual cap. Due to the way his contract is structured
Again, your Google machine is broken. Quit acting like you know something. Note those two big words I already told you that you don’t know the meaning - “Cap Hit”, below. You don’t even have to know what they mean, just know that this is a “Cap Hit” ranking for the 2024 season, and Deshaun Watson is #1. End of 17ing discussion.

IMG_6081.jpeg

Yes the dead money is the highest in the league. Meaning they’d have that much money to spend on him next season.., meaning Dallas will be able to pay more than anyone else
Its the highest in the league, for THIS season. That is what dead money means. Its what you owe towards the cap if you cut a player before the end of his deal. If they don’t cut him this year, that $66 million does not roll over to 2025. That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. The 2024 dead cap number is therefore totally irrelevant to the discussion.

nice call on the 20 teams minimum that would be interesting in him
There are 20 teams that would damn sure kick the tires is some shape or form. That doesn’t mean they’d all be able to do it, but they’d try….and that trumps anything Jerry can do from a negotiating standpoint. He’s that big of an upgrade for at least 20 teams, they’d consider dealing their starter in order to make room, if thats what it took.

you clearly no nothing about salary caps and what teams can and can’t do… on top of no being able to evaluate or looking up basic information
Wow.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Again, your Google machine is broken. Quit acting like you know something. Note those two big words I already told you that you don’t know the meaning - “Cap Hit”, below. You don’t even have to know what they mean, just know that this is a “Cap Hit” ranking for the 2024 season, and Deshaun Watson is #1. End of 17ing discussion.

View attachment 548237

Its the highest in the league, for THIS season. That is what dead money means. Its what you owe towards the cap if you cut a player before the end of his deal. If they don’t cut him this year, that $66 million does not roll over to 2025. That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. The 2024 dead cap number is therefore totally irrelevant to the discussion.

There are 20 teams that would damn sure kick the tires is some shape or form. That doesn’t mean they’d all be able to do it, but they’d try….and that trumps anything Jerry can do from a negotiating standpoint. He’s that big of an upgrade for at least 20 teams, they’d consider dealing their starter in order to make room, if thats what it took.

Wow.
There would be less than 10 that kick the tires on him. 15 at most. The list I posted above shows this. Lots of teams are happy with their qb situation. Over half the league that is..

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Nice article written 3 days ago on Dak's contract situation.

From the article "Prescott signed a four-year, $160 million contract in 2021, which included no-trade and no-tag clauses. With no extension forthcoming, Prescott is on his way toward free agency in 2025. If Dallas doesn't eventually sign the QB to an extension, he'd still count $40.46 million against the 2025 salary cap."

I think a deal with the Cowboys eventually gets done. If they don't extend him or resign him, not much in free agency that would be an upgrade.
That $40.46 figure for 2025 is from the auto-void years of the deal, which can generally be tweaked on the fly. But ultimately that only makes it even more stupid that they haven’t done the extension deal yet (they’ve already added 2 more auto-void years as well). It means Dallas really has to get the extension done, or trade him, without putting themselves into a massive rebuild starting in 2025.

It could be that Dak has agreed in principle to a deal that Dallas cannot afford until the cap goes up again next year. If so, that might explain why it looks like there is tension, but there really isn’t. But that is sure as hell putting a whole lot of faith in Dak to actually sign it, when he could get many better opportunities and burn his current franchise to the ground at the same time. So, we will see.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
There would be less than 10 that kick the tires on him. 15 at most. The list I posted above shows this. Lots of teams are happy with their qb situation. Over half the league that is..
Sure. Based on your other “research” on this, I’m certain that your sources are top notch. Maybe you even asked if you could speak directly with Gayle Benson, Amy Strunk, or Stan Kroenke while in the Wendy’s drive thru.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Sure. Based on your other “research” on this, I’m certain that your sources are top notch. Maybe you even asked if you could speak directly with Gayle Benson, Amy Strunk, or Stan Kroenke while in the Wendy’s drive thru.
Nope I just listed all the teams that are in qb situations they are happy with… since you throw out 20 teams that would kick the tires. I’d be interested to whom you’ve talked to to confirm this… seeing you are part of the mlb scouting community sure you know someone in the nfl community

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
That $40.46 figure for 2025 is from the auto-void years of the deal, which can generally be tweaked on the fly. But ultimately that only makes it even more stupid that they haven’t done the extension deal yet (they’ve already added 2 more auto-void years as well). It means Dallas really has to get the extension done, or trade him, without putting themselves into a massive rebuild starting in 2025.

It could be that Dak has agreed in principle to a deal that Dallas cannot afford until the cap goes up again next year. If so, that might explain why it looks like there is tension, but there really isn’t. But that is sure as hell putting a whole lot of faith in Dak to actually sign it, when he could get many better opportunities and burn his current franchise to the ground at the same time. So, we will see.
Dak certainly holds all the cards. I can’t imagine him loving Dallas so much that he’d risk staying in a sinking ship when he could go light it up for a competent franchise.

Taco Charlton and Zeek’s ungodly contract are all you need to know about Dallas. They’ve been winning too much to do anything in the draft, and then they make awful choices with their picks. Not to mention their trades. They’re in a hole even a great owner/GM couldn’t get out of right now.

I’d sure miss Dak being in town, but he’d be crazy to sign anything with Dallas at this point. It’s a sinking ship. Their only chance to save themselves is to somehow trade rape a lot of teams, and there’s 0% chance of that.

Despite popular (literally one man’s) opinion, he’ll be the most coveted free agent we’ve seen in a long time. He’s still in his prime and had and MVP season without being surrounded by much on offense.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Nope I just listed all the teams that are in qb situations they are happy with… since you throw out 20 teams that would kick the tires. I’d be interested to whom you’ve talked to to confirm this… seeing you are part of the mlb scouting community sure you know someone in the nfl community
Sure. Let me hit up a few of my boys on LinkedIn real quick….

Chiefs
Bills
Ravens
Eagles
Bengals
Chargers
Falcons
49ers
Texans

Those are the 9 teams that do NOT potentially get a substantial QB cost / benefit upgrade from replacing their current starter with Dak. Every other team in the league has no QB and is hoping on the draft saving them, has a bad or very average QB, has an unproven QB for one reason or another that may or may not pan out, or has an aging QB that is very near retirement. In many cases they could fall in more than one of those categories.

9 teams there, Dallas is 10. There are 22 teams left. As things sit currently, all 22 of those remaining teams get a major upgrade with Dak. That list could shrink between now and 2025. Maybe Tua plays an unprecedented 2 straight seasons without any major injury issues, and you can add the Dolphins to the list. Maybe Jordan Love takes another step forward, and you can add the Packers. Maybe Deshaun Watson finally gets it going again and stays healthy, and you can add the Browns. Maybe Caleb Williams is actually for real, and you can add the Bears or whoever drafts him.

If all 4 of those things happen (not likely), there are still 18 more teams out there that would see how they could possibly move the chess pieces to get it done. Some won’t be able to do it, but enough would be able to figure it out to make it very difficult for Dallas….and force the decision for Dak to stay there to be not about money.

Just one more thing, both the MLB scouting connections AND my NFL sources have confirmed that $63 million is a higher number than $55 million, in case you were still wondering. Just throwing that out there.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Also, as Ben Wyatt established, it's Turd Crapley.
Mother17er….great observation. And that one is certainly even better.

Poor @HuntDawg finally adds something of substance here, and you have to go and one-up him like this. I mean he’s pretty ridiculous, but I don’t want to just have his soul laid completely bare for all to see in this barren messageboard hellscape. Let the guy have his nickname.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Sure. Let me hit up a few of my boys on LinkedIn real quick….

Chiefs
Bills
Ravens
Eagles
Bengals
Chargers
Falcons
49ers
Texans

Those are the 9 teams that do NOT potentially get a substantial QB cost / benefit upgrade from replacing their current starter with Dak. Every other team in the league has no QB and is hoping on the draft saving them, has a bad or very average QB, has an unproven QB for one reason or another that may or may not pan out, or has an aging QB that is very near retirement. In many cases they could fall in more than one of those categories.

9 teams there, Dallas is 10. There are 22 teams left. As things sit currently, all 22 of those remaining teams get a major upgrade with Dak. That list could shrink between now and 2025. Maybe Tua plays an unprecedented 2 straight seasons without any major injury issues, and you can add the Dolphins to the list. Maybe Jordan Love takes another step forward, and you can add the Packers. Maybe Deshaun Watson finally gets it going again and stays healthy, and you can add the Browns. Maybe Caleb Williams is actually for real, and you can add the Bears or whoever drafts him.

If all 4 of those things happen (not likely), there are still 18 more teams out there that would see how they could possibly move the chess pieces to get it done. Some won’t be able to do it, but enough would be able to figure it out to make it very difficult for Dallas….and force the decision for Dak to stay there to be not about money.

Just one more thing, both the MLB scouting connections AND my NFL sources have confirmed that $63 million is a higher number than $55 million, in case you were still wondering. Just throwing that out there.

clevelans is going to be Able to pay two qbs. Same with the rams.
Bucs are going to pay 2
Eagles don’t want hurts
Jags don’t want Lawrence anymore
Bears who draft 1 aren’t gonna want Williams right?
Arizona gonna pay Murray and dak?
Denver’s cap situation isn’t goijg to be able to pay 2

Tennesse, Carolina, and Indy who all took qbs with high draft picks are going to change course?

your a 17 idiot if you think 22 teams will be interested in dak. Lots of teams are very happy with their qb situation

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Mother17er….great observation. And that one is certainly even better.

Poor @HuntDawg finally adds something of substance here, and you have to go and one-up him like this. I mean he’s pretty ridiculous, but I don’t want to just have his soul laid completely bare for all to see in this barren messageboard hellscape. Let the guy have his nickname.
Nah it’s terd tapley. Biggest moron the boards

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
clevelans is going to be Able to pay two qbs.
Who said they would be paying 2 QB’s? Trades are a thing. You might be surprised to know that they acquired their current QB via trade, it hasn’t gone great for them, and they might want a fresh start.

Same with the rams.
Stafford is both near retirement and nowhere close to Dak’s level at this phase of his career. Plenty of reasons for the Rams to move him and look elsewhere.

Bucs are going to pay 2
See above.

Eagles don’t want hurts
The Eagles are on the list I posted. Fantastic reading comprehension here.

Jags don’t want Lawrence anymore
You think they want to pay him $55 million in 2 years? What’s he ever done? Lawrence’s trade value now is as high as it ever will be.

Bears who draft 1 aren’t gonna want Williams right?
Of course they will. Again, read the post. If he’s for real, add the Bears to the list. If he’s another Bryce Young, then they might wanna look elsewhere in 2025. The answer to that will be more clear in 2025.

Arizona gonna pay Murray and dak?
IMG_6082.gif
Tennesse, Carolina, and Indy who all took qbs with high draft picks are going to change course?
Well, Bryce Young was a disaster, Levis was average, and Richardson got knocked out for the year and had other injuries before that…so he’s a total unknown. Its hard to see any of those 3 not viewing the 8 year track record of Dak as being far more reliable than what they have currently.

your a 17 idiot
Thank you. That’s really all I need to hear to know that I’ve spoken with logic and reason. I’d have been really worried if you actually agreed.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Who said they would be paying 2 QB’s? Trades are a thing. You might be surprised to know that they acquired their current QB via trade, it hasn’t gone great for them, and they might want a fresh start.

Stafford is both near retirement and nowhere close to Dak’s level at this phase of his career. Plenty of reasons for the Rams to move him and look elsewhere.

See above.

The Eagles are on the list I posted. Fantastic reading comprehension here.

You think they want to pay him $55 million in 2 years? What’s he ever done? Lawrence’s trade value now is as high as it ever will be.

Of course they will. Again, read the post. If he’s for real, add the Bears to the list. If he’s another Bryce Young, then they might wanna look elsewhere in 2025. The answer to that will be more clear in 2025.

View attachment 548295

Well, Bryce Young was a disaster, Levis was average, and Richardson got knocked out for the year and had other injuries before that…so he’s a total unknown. Its hard to see any of those 3 not viewing the 8 year track record of Dak as being far more reliable than what they have currently.

Thank you. That’s really all I need to hear to know that I’ve spoken with logic and reason. I’d have been really worried if you actually agreed.
Ice Cube had a lyric about letting a ho be a ho. I’d recommend just not engaging.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Ice Cube had a lyric about letting a ho be a ho. I’d recommend just not engaging.
Just trying to help a fellow Bulldog out at the end of the day, if I can. If he actually is one. I’d hate for him to devalue all of our diplomas by having this argument in public with an Ole Miss fan. I shall fall on this sword for our fanbase.

• Haha
Reactions: eckie1

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
17ing A….. This Dak & Dallas thread has more emotion than most MSU football threads

Thought for a moment I was on the Dallas Cowboys message board******

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The only risk for Jerry is if Dak gets mad about the negotiation process dragging out again and decides to walk. If Dak is wanting top dollar, Jerry would have to pay it now or next year, and there really isn’t much practical difference between the rates 12 months apart.