“Kentucky's Will Levis: Backup QB and unnoticed transfer to top NFL draft prospect”

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
See the link below. From the article:

”LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Rich Scangarello was sitting in the San Francisco 49ers' team hotel meeting room last season on the eve of their game against the Arizona Cardinals.

The LSU-Kentucky game was on the big-screen TV in the room, and Scangarello and others from the 49ers' organization, including general manager John Lynch and assistant GM Adam Peters, were watching while waiting for meetings to start. Kentucky quarterback Will Levis was putting on a show, throwing for three touchdowns and running for two more in a 42-21 win.

Scangarello, then the 49ers' quarterbacks coach, turned to Peters and said, "Who is this quarterback? He's pretty good. I need to make sure he's on my radar going into the offseason."

Little did Scangarello know the offseason would lead to his hiring as Levis' offensive coordinator at Kentucky, and it didn't take Scangarello long to figure out what kind of talent he was inheriting in Levis, who has gone from a backup at Penn State to one of the NFL's hottest draft commodities seemingly in a flash.

On his Big Board for the 2023 draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper has the 6-foot-3, 235-pound Levis rated as the No. 4 player overall and the No. 2 quarterback behind Ohio State's C.J. Stroud.

One NFL personnel director, who has scouted Levis extensively and seen him live this season, told ESPN he sees a lot of Josh Allen in Levis in terms of arm strength, athletic ability and physical size.”

F*ck us.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
I was a Levis over Clifford advocate early on. You could tell that Levis had a chance to be special, and that Clifford did not. Clifford can be, and generally is, serviceable, but he doesn't have the arm talent, decision-making or any other dimension to his game to lock him in as a starter on a top team over a kid like Levis, or even Allar.

Reactions: WestSideLion

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
I was a Levis over Clifford advocate early on. You could tell that Levis had a chance to be special, and that Clifford did not. Clifford can be, and generally is, serviceable, but he doesn't have the arm talent, decision-making or any other dimension to his game to lock him in as a starter on a top team over a kid like Levis, or even Allar.
I don't know if all of that is accurate about Clifford. I think Clifford does a good job feeling the rush and moving in the pocket. He is just pretty inaccurate when throwing on the run.

I have watched a lot of Levis at Kentucky because I am interested in his path. I don't view him as being accurate enough to be an NFL guy.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
No matter how you spin this, it's going to be leave a mark on this PSU staff's resume. They lost NFLer Justin Fields, replaced him with NFLer Levis, but couldn't see what they had in Levis. Now the kid is a likely top-10 draft pick at PSU's biggest position of need over the past several seasons. WTF?

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
Here’s a nightmare scenario, Veilleux transfers to Maryland and becomes a first round pick. Allar suddenly starts overthrowing
or bouncing all his passes. Meanwhile Pribula transfers to OSU, and beats out all the current 5* QB’s. And at the next press conference Kory Giger continues to focus only on beer sales.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Yet he couldn’t separate himself from Clifford while here.
And he certainly isn’t looking like a top 10 draft pick this year….they’ve struggled in every game so far and three of those games were against 2 G5 opponents and an FCS opponent. They’re even trying to pad his stats and he’s not setting the college football world on fire.

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
Good for Will, let's not lose sight of the fact this is a near 4.0 student that graduated from Penn State before leaving. He has certainly represented himself and both institutions well. I am not as willing to suggest success in a different system or at a different stage of life is proof positive that your ex-employer, school, whatever, is to blame and "made the wrong choice." Should Levis have been given more of on opportunity as a true QB when Clifford was struggling mightily and we were 0-5? Absolutely....I said it then. He was asked to basically be a Full back in this offense, and mind you, an offense at the time that couldn't catch or run the ball. It was a nightmare for both our QB's, but Clifford will never be able to complain he didn't get a fair shake. From the limited throws I saw from Will, it was all gas all the time. Big strong arm, clearly a tough super athletic kid, but he lacked touch on his ball. Credit to Kentucky for putting him behind a good offensive line, and having a tough established run game to support him. Maybe it's possible the move worked out for everyone, there are no guarantees Will would have performed better than Clifford last year or this year.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I don't know if all of that is accurate about Clifford. I think Clifford does a good job feeling the rush and moving in the pocket. He is just pretty inaccurate when throwing on the run.

I have watched a lot of Levis at Kentucky because I am interested in his path. I don't view him as being accurate enough to be an NFL guy.
I see a fair amount of him playing down here. I just don’t see the NFL stuff with him. Arm is great, athleticism is great, accuracy and decision making is not always that hot.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Here’s a nightmare scenario, Veilleux transfers to Maryland and becomes a first round pick. Allar suddenly starts overthrowing
or bouncing all his passes. Meanwhile Pribula transfers to OSU, and beats out all the current 5* QB’s. And at the next press conference Kory Giger continues to focus only on beer sales.
Why Would You Say That New Girl GIF by hero0fwar

Pennst8

Oct 25, 2021

”LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Rich Scangarello was sitting in the San Francisco 49ers' team hotel meeting room last season on the eve of their game against the Arizona Cardinals.

The LSU-Kentucky game was on the big-screen TV in the room, and Scangarello and others from the 49ers' organization, including general manager John Lynch and assistant GM Adam Peters, were watching while waiting for meetings to start. Kentucky quarterback Will Levis was putting on a show, throwing for three touchdowns and running for two more in a 42-21 win.

Scangarello, then the 49ers' quarterbacks coach, turned to Peters and said, "Who is this quarterback? He's pretty good. I need to make sure he's on my radar going into the offseason."

Little did Scangarello know the offseason would lead to his hiring as Levis' offensive coordinator at Kentucky, and it didn't take Scangarello long to figure out what kind of talent he was inheriting in Levis, who has gone from a backup at Penn State to one of the NFL's hottest draft commodities seemingly in a flash.

On his Big Board for the 2023 draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper has the 6-foot-3, 235-pound Levis rated as the No. 4 player overall and the No. 2 quarterback behind Ohio State's C.J. Stroud.

One NFL personnel director, who has scouted Levis extensively and seen him live this season, told ESPN he sees a lot of Josh Allen in Levis in terms of arm strength, athletic ability and physical size.”

F*ck us.
Can you say anything good about coach Franklin? Anything? One thing? You have to be a miserable fu*k to be around. Jesus.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Good for Will, let's not lose sight of the fact this is a near 4.0 student that graduated from Penn State before leaving. He has certainly represented himself and both institutions well. I am not as willing to suggest success in a different system or at a different stage of life is proof positive that your ex-employer, school, whatever, is to blame and "made the wrong choice." Should Levis have been given more of on opportunity as a true QB when Clifford was struggling mightily and we were 0-5? Absolutely....I said it then. He was asked to basically be a Full back in this offense, and mind you, an offense at the time that couldn't catch or run the ball. It was a nightmare for both our QB's, but Clifford will never be able to complain he didn't get a fair shake. From the limited throws I saw from Will, it was all gas all the time. Big strong arm, clearly a tough super athletic kid, but he lacked touch on his ball. Credit to Kentucky for putting him behind a good offensive line, and having a tough established run game to support him. Maybe it's possible the move worked out for everyone, there are no guarantees Will would have performed better than Clifford last year or this year.
I could have been a near 4.0 student.

I just chose not too.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Two words: Jaxon Smolik

Reactions: Bison13 and Tom_PSU

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
I see a fair amount of him playing down here. I just don’t see the NFL stuff with him. Arm is great, athleticism is great, accuracy and decision making is not always that hot.
That’s been my read too, but there’s a lot of smoke in NFL circles on him. Levis will be drafted, especially if a guy like Kenny Pickett is taken in round 1.

I don’t get paid to make NFL picks, but what I’ve seen of Levis at UK aligns with your take. Big kid. Rocket arm. Good mobility. Poor touch on throws.

Guys like Josh Allen are going to bait other teams into mistakes. Allen’s development is an anomaly.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
No matter how you spin this, it's going to be leave a mark on this PSU staff's resume. They lost NFLer Justin Fields, replaced him with NFLer Levis, but couldn't see what they had in Levis. Now the kid is a likely top-10 draft pick at PSU's biggest position of need over the past several seasons. WTF?
The kid is going to be playing against Tommy Stevens and Clifford in the CFL within 3 years. The mark will be erased if Allar pans out, which looks more and more likely each time he gets snaps.

Reactions: BobPSU92 and Bob78

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
His pocket awareness is still borderline below average to bad. You just sit there holding your breathe, wondering if he's gonna fumble or get crushed and not get up.

He still throws some pretty bad INTs as well. He's more impressive against the weaker teams than Clifford has been, but he's been worse than Clifford against the better teams. 13/24, 202, 1 TD, 1 INT vs Florida. Not Urban Meyer's Gators. The Napier-led crew that will struggle to finish 7-5.

He's built like a pro though. He gets his #1 RB back this week for Ole Miss and that should be huge for him.

psupride1997

Oct 25, 2021

Franklin went with the safe choice, rather than the riskier guy with the higher ceiling. Kind of like he is doing now with Allar….

Reactions: WestSideLion

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021

F*ck us.
WTF BOB,
LOOK at the chain reaction you started now

💣 😲

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Can you say anything good about coach Franklin? Anything? One thing? You have to be a miserable fu*k to be around. Jesus.
I like the clothes ensemble James wears to the stadium..his shoes are coordinated beautifully with his suits.
If you don't wish to call me "such a whiny Fu*k" like Bob92, maybe you could call me a "gay" Fu*k, and very miserable to be around.
1664412617721.png

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
I figure he'll win 20 Super Bowls. Nobody is better than the backup QB except the backup QB who transfers out.

He'll probably win the Kentucky Derby too,

Funny, Will does have a race horse endorsement deal...

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
BS. Levis didn’t best Clifford out in the 3 years he was here. He chose to leave rather than stay and compete. We shall see if Levis is truly the NFL talent that some claim. There is more to being an NFL talent than having a big arm. Clifford was gangbusters last year before he got hurt and has been pretty good this year so far.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Franklin went with the safe choice, rather than the riskier guy with the higher ceiling. Kind of like he is doing now with Allar….
Allar is a true frosh and Franklin has played him in every game so far and bringing him along nicely. For all his critics, the fact is Penn State doesn’t pull out the Purdue game without Clifford.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
And Levis wasn’t playing better than Clifford last year before he got hurt and isn’t playing better this year either.

Latest posts