“Kentucky's Will Levis: Backup QB and unnoticed transfer to top NFL draft prospect”

DTownlion57

Nov 1, 2021
Good for Will, let's not lose sight of the fact this is a near 4.0 student that graduated from Penn State before leaving. He has certainly represented himself and both institutions well. I am not as willing to suggest success in a different system or at a different stage of life is proof positive that your ex-employer, school, whatever, is to blame and "made the wrong choice." Should Levis have been given more of on opportunity as a true QB when Clifford was struggling mightily and we were 0-5? Absolutely....I said it then. He was asked to basically be a Full back in this offense, and mind you, an offense at the time that couldn't catch or run the ball. It was a nightmare for both our QB's, but Clifford will never be able to complain he didn't get a fair shake. From the limited throws I saw from Will, it was all gas all the time. Big strong arm, clearly a tough super athletic kid, but he lacked touch on his ball. Credit to Kentucky for putting him behind a good offensive line, and having a tough established run game to support him. Maybe it's possible the move worked out for everyone, there are no guarantees Will would have performed better than Clifford last year or this year.
Absolutely makes too much sense for the "Blame it on Franklin" crowd.

Reactions: Nitt1300

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
BS. Levis didn’t best Clifford out in the 3 years he was here. He chose to leave rather than stay and compete. We shall see if Levis is truly the NFL talent that some claim. There is more to being an NFL talent than having a big arm. Clifford was gangbusters last year before he got hurt and has been pretty good this year so far.
@Hlstone
Hi Wade, haven't talked to you in a long time. Do you still reside in Lehman? Daughter on tract to enter college? I wish you and your daughter all of the good luck and success in the world.
Yours, Tom

• Love
Reactions: Hlstone

Hlstone

Oct 11, 2021
Great to read from you Tom!
I am well thank you. I mostly stick to the wrestling forums, but do lurk over here from time to time.🙂

Faye is a Sr at LL and will be valedictorian. She committed to the reigning Field Hockey National Champion Northwestern Wildcats!

She just had her helmet repainted..

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1664282822573.jpg
    FB_IMG_1664282822573.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Hlstone

Oct 11, 2021
@Hlstone
Hi Wade, haven't talked to you in a long time. Do you still reside in Lehman? Daughter on tract to enter college? I wish you and your daughter all of the good luck and success in the world.
Yours, Tom
How are you and the family? I miss your gang at the games.

Our fun game against Dr. Frank's crew is Oct 5. I don't expect a LL victory over Sem, but Faye always has a bunch of epic saves against them.

• Love
Reactions: step.eng69

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Great to read from you Tom!
I am well thank you. I mostly stick to the wrestling forums, but do lurk over here from time to time.🙂

Faye is a Sr at LL and will be valedictorian. She committed to the reigning Field Hockey National Champion Northwestern Wildcats!

She just had her helmet repainted..

How are you and the family? I miss your gang at the games.

Our fun game against Dr. Frank's crew is Oct 5. I don't expect a LL victory over Sem, but Faye always has a bunch of epic saves against them.
Sounds wonderful for you and your young Princess....again, all the sucess for you and yours
Tom
Kelly and wife are taking me to Wills Eye Hospital in Philly shortly for a 3pm appointment.

NJPSU4Life

Nov 9, 2021
Ultimately, while it could have been nice for Penn State to produce a QB that succeeds in the NFL (IF that ultimately happens), it was more important for Penn State to have a QB with a better chance to succeed on our team. Levis has had his moments at Kentucky, but it doesn't seem like he definitely would have elevated our team if he was our QB.

OaktonDave

Oct 12, 2021
I don't know if all of that is accurate about Clifford. I think Clifford does a good job feeling the rush and moving in the pocket. He is just pretty inaccurate when throwing on the run.

I have watched a lot of Levis at Kentucky because I am interested in his path. I don't view him as being accurate enough to be an NFL guy.
The quote comparing Levis and Allen reminds me so many other quotes comparing players based on physical attributes. How many guys were built like Dan Marino, had strong arms, and quick releases, but weren't in the same universe when it came to playing the position? A good to very good college RB who weighed 200 lbs and was under 6' tall was like Emmit Smith, except he had nowhere near the talent for the game. I've heard the phrase "he has all the tools" used for too many times when the "tools" in the discussion didn't include the ability to play the sport at the highest level.

I like Will Levis and think he would have done a fine job at PSU. I also think that the issues in his game would have earned him the ire of many PSU fans and those issues will make it difficult for him to live up to the hype in the NFL. On the flip side, if he develops, he'll have a good career. I wish him the best.

Last edited:

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
The quote comparing Levis and Allen reminds me so many other quotes comparing players based on physical attributes. How many guys were built like Dan Marino, had strong arms, and quick releases, but weren't in the same universe when it came to playing the position? A good to very good college RB who weighed 200 lbs and was under 6' tall was like Emmit Smith, except they had nowhere near the talent for the game. I've heard the phrase "he has all the tools" used for too many times when the "tools" in the discussion didn't include the ability to play the sport at the highest level.

I like Will Levis and think he would have done a fine job at PSU. I also think that the issues in his game would have earned him the ire of many PSU fans and those issues will make it difficult for him to live up to the hype in the NFL. On the flip side, if he develops, he'll have a good career. I wish him the best.
The real question is would the PSU offense last year and this year be better with Levis at QB?

Certainly last year would have been better after Clifford got hurt. But the lack of a run game and iffy OL play impacts both guys.

I don’t know about this year. Levis wouldn’t have won anymore games to date.

Reactions: NJPSU4Life

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
See the link below. From the article:

”LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Rich Scangarello was sitting in the San Francisco 49ers' team hotel meeting room last season on the eve of their game against the Arizona Cardinals.

The LSU-Kentucky game was on the big-screen TV in the room, and Scangarello and others from the 49ers' organization, including general manager John Lynch and assistant GM Adam Peters, were watching while waiting for meetings to start. Kentucky quarterback Will Levis was putting on a show, throwing for three touchdowns and running for two more in a 42-21 win.

Scangarello, then the 49ers' quarterbacks coach, turned to Peters and said, "Who is this quarterback? He's pretty good. I need to make sure he's on my radar going into the offseason."

Little did Scangarello know the offseason would lead to his hiring as Levis' offensive coordinator at Kentucky, and it didn't take Scangarello long to figure out what kind of talent he was inheriting in Levis, who has gone from a backup at Penn State to one of the NFL's hottest draft commodities seemingly in a flash.

On his Big Board for the 2023 draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper has the 6-foot-3, 235-pound Levis rated as the No. 4 player overall and the No. 2 quarterback behind Ohio State's C.J. Stroud.

One NFL personnel director, who has scouted Levis extensively and seen him live this season, told ESPN he sees a lot of Josh Allen in Levis in terms of arm strength, athletic ability and physical size.”

F*ck us.
Levis is a bad Wentz. Wish him well but...smh. I get that the NFL drafts on physical stature etc. but don't see starting, productive NFL QB with Levis.

Reactions: marshall23

bbb2021

Nov 14, 2021
Just saw Mel Kiper's early season CF QB rankings for the next NFL draft on another board and - in order - he has......

1.) CJ Stroud
2.) Will Levis
3.) Bryce Young

Keep in mind, things could change bigtime during the course of the season but right now he's high on Levis

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Just saw Mel Kiper's early season CF QB rankings for the next NFL draft on another board and - in order - he has......

1.) CJ Stroud
2.) Will Levis
3.) Bryce Young

Keep in mind, things could change bigtime during the course of the season but right now he's high on Levis

High praise to have Levis ahead of Young, and also highly questionable.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Will made the move he had to make for himself....and he's doing great. It only hurt PSU when Cliff got hurt at Iowa.
I doubt he's a top 10 draft pick.

Reactions: ODShowtime

NCGOLFER

Oct 7, 2021
Yet he couldn’t separate himself from Clifford while here.
That is 100% correct. Levis was given starts and playing time while at Penn State but he never demonstrated he was better than Clifford while he was here. Not in my mind. I wish Will all the best at Kentucky and acknowledge he’s doing very well there but I also think he‘s being over hyped. I do not think he has Josh Allen ability.

Reactions: PSUFSUBRI36

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
That is 100% correct. Levis was given starts and playing time while at Penn State but he never demonstrated he was better than Clifford while he was here. Not in my mind. I wish Will all the best at Kentucky and acknowledge he’s doing very well there but I also think he‘s being over hyped. I do not think he has Josh Allen ability.
The counter to that is did the PSU staff tailor its offense and play calls to Will's abilities? And that's a fair question to ask seeing him play well in another system. If there's one recurring question with QB play, it's this staff's ability to modify the system and calls to the talent on hand.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
The counter to that is did the PSU staff tailor its offense and play calls to Will's abilities? And that's a fair question to ask seeing him play well in another system. If there's one recurring question with QB play, it's this staff's ability to modify the system and calls to the talent on hand.
to which staff are you referring?

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Allar is a true frosh and Franklin has played him in every game so far and bringing him along nicely. For all his critics, the fact is Penn State doesn’t pull out the Purdue game without Clifford.

Except Clifford's epically bad pick 6 put the team in the position that Clifford had to orchestrate that great comeback drive. That was probably the best and worst of Clifford in half of a quarter.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
What abilities did Josh Allen demonstrate in college that Will Levis has not?

Levis was given minimal reps and not entrusted with PSU's "real" offense while he was here ... he was mostly a runner ... the on-field comparisons aren't particularly fair, in this light. One was deemed the starter, got starter reps, had the offense blended in with his abilities ... and the other was thrust in in an "emergency" situation and not really given the keys to the car. Even then you could see Levis had more natural arm talent, better composure and more athleticism than Clifford, who was already a "seasoned vet" in comparison.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Levis is a bad Wentz. Wish him well but...smh. I get that the NFL drafts on physical stature etc. but don't see starting, productive NFL QB with Levis.

What don't you see in Levis? What did you see in someone like Josh Allen in college that differentiated him from a guy like Levis?

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Good for Will, let's not lose sight of the fact this is a near 4.0 student that graduated from Penn State before leaving. He has certainly represented himself and both institutions well. I am not as willing to suggest success in a different system or at a different stage of life is proof positive that your ex-employer, school, whatever, is to blame and "made the wrong choice." Should Levis have been given more of on opportunity as a true QB when Clifford was struggling mightily and we were 0-5? Absolutely....I said it then. He was asked to basically be a Full back in this offense, and mind you, an offense at the time that couldn't catch or run the ball. It was a nightmare for both our QB's, but Clifford will never be able to complain he didn't get a fair shake. From the limited throws I saw from Will, it was all gas all the time. Big strong arm, clearly a tough super athletic kid, but he lacked touch on his ball. Credit to Kentucky for putting him behind a good offensive line, and having a tough established run game to support him. Maybe it's possible the move worked out for everyone, there are no guarantees Will would have performed better than Clifford last year or this year.

Ah, I saw a beautiful long ball, with "touch." He didn't just launch it ... didn't need to because he had arm strength to spare. That's actually why I'm very high on him ... some guys with big arms just friggin launch the ball and who knows where it's going ... he had shape and direction to his long ball (along with his running ability) that gives me hope that he'll develop the more accurate medium range passing game and decision-making he'll need to succeed in the NFL. With rawer talents, it's always a crapshoot if they'll pop, but the ceiling was definitely WAY up there, and the floor was pretty high.

JakkL

Oct 12, 2021
The Levis I remember at PSU didn't have touch on short throws. Every swing pass, screen etc was a rope. I hope he has learned how to do that and if so he might be pretty good. The biggest "tool" a good QB needs is between the ears.

Reactions: Bison13

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I’m watching the Dolphins-Bengals game tonight. How f*cked up is T™️osu? They had Joe Burrow, an ohio kid. They chose dwayne haskins as their starter and allowed Burrow to transfer to lsu. We know how that turned out.

T™️osu is ridiculous.

Reactions: ODShowtime

wolve1972

Oct 7, 2021
I’m watching the Dolphins-Bengals game tonight. How f*cked up is T™️osu? They had Joe Burrow, an ohio kid. They chose dwayne haskins as their starter and allowed Burrow to transfer to lsu. We know how that turned out.

T™️osu is ridiculous.
In all fairness to OSU, Burrow broke his hand when battling with Haskins which set him back. It was discussed during the OSU-ND game when the cameras showed Burrow in the stands with 2023 OSU QB commitment - he was recruiting for OSU and still loves the school

bbb2021

Nov 14, 2021
In all fairness to OSU, Burrow broke his hand when battling with Haskins which set him back. It was discussed during the OSU-ND game when the cameras showed Burrow in the stands with 2023 OSU QB commitment - he was recruiting for OSU and still loves the school
Yea, I've also read that Burrow visits a few of the OSU practices - he loves that place for some reason. But you are correct about the broken hand setting him back - maybe that's why he holds no ill will against OSU. Besides, Haskins went on to shatter a ton of B1G records in his one year of starting.

PSUwolf

Oct 29, 2021
Yea, I've also read that Burrow visits a few of the OSU practices - he loves that place for some reason. But you are correct about the broken hand setting him back - maybe that's why he holds no ill will against OSU. Besides, Haskins went on to shatter a ton of B1G records in his one year of starting.
My brother is friends with Burrow's father - Jim - from their Nebraska days and the Burrows are all in on OSU. Joe actually graduated from OSU in just 3 years - he's a very smart kid. Well, I guess he's not a kid any more

PSUFSUBRI36

Dec 25, 2021
Is he not getting national draft attention? What am I missing?
I hope he does well. I'm having some fun because this place can't go a week without a Will Levis thread. It's predictably used as a club by the "Franklin Always Sucks" crowd. It shouldn't be, because it's possible for both parties to have made the right call, but here we are.

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021
I hope he does well. I'm having some fun because this place can't go a week without a Will Levis thread. It's predictably used as a club by the "Franklin Always Sucks" crowd. It shouldn't be, because it's possible for both parties to have made the right call, but here we are.
Absolutely! When WL left, it was pretty apparent to most that SC was the better QB. In hindsight, WL appears to have the higher ceiling (injuries haven’t helped SC), but that doesn’t mean that Franklin’s choice was wrong at the time.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
The Levis I remember at PSU didn't have touch on short throws. Every swing pass, screen etc was a rope. I hope he has learned how to do that and if so he might be pretty good. The biggest "tool" a good QB needs is between the ears.
He still has the same issues.

Reactions: Bison13

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
I'm pro Will Levis and pro James Franklin. Franklin just made a mistake here. We don't always get everything right, and that's OK. It's possible to support someone, generally, and still disagree with specific stances/decisions. I think with the JoePa worship, this fan base lost sight of that. Heck, nowadays the country as a whole has lost sight of that.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
The most impressive thing about Will Levis' development this year is that he's taken a big jump even while: 1. he has a horrendous OL that leaves him running for his life, and 2. he's making a concerted effort to be more of a drop back passer. We all know he can run, but this year he's staying in the pocket (or at least behind the line of scrimmage, once the pocket breaks down) and taking his lumps as his sieve of an OL allows defenders through. And he's still improving in Comp% and YPA.

Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
The most impressive thing about Will Levis' development this year is that he's taken a big jump even while: 1. he has a horrendous OL that leaves him running for his life, and 2. he's making a concerted effort to be more of a drop back passer. We all know he can run, but this year he's staying in the pocket (or at least behind the line of scrimmage, once the pocket breaks down) and taking his lumps as his sieve of an OL allows defenders through. And he's still improving in Comp% and YPA.
And he’s played two G5 teams and an FCS team…not exactly murderer’s row. And he’s stayed in the entire game for all of these and throwing TD passes from the one yard line when up by three TD’s. If he was our QB, he’d be getting killed on this board for doing what he’s doing (and he would have gotten killed last year as well).

Latest posts