2021-2022 Premier League Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Arsenal - West Ham is a good match. Arsenal was the better team in the 1st half (9-3 lead in shots), but neither team got on the board. Some challenging calls on Arsenal players going down in the box, but from replay it appears that the ref get each of them correct (no PKs awarded).

And then Martinelli with a nice play just after the half to score at the 48 minute mark, and put Arsenal up 1-0 in the London derby. But West Ham is not going quietly, and nearly scores at the 52 minute mark.

Reactions: TheGlovStillRules

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Arsenal - West Ham is a good match. Arsenal was the better team in the 1st half (9-3 lead in shots), but neither team got on the board. Some challenging calls on Arsenal players going down in the box, but from replay it appears that the ref get each of them correct (no PKs awarded).

And then Martinelli with a nice play just after the half to score at the 48 minute mark, and put Arsenal up 1-0 in the London derby. But West Ham is not going quietly, and nearly scores at the 52 minute mark.
Thanks for the heads up. As soon as I turn on the match it looks like a PK for Arsenal. Red card (unsure if it was a straight red). Iffy call. And it’s blocked, good kick, great placement, great save.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Thanks for the heads up. As soon as I turn on the match it looks like a PK for Arsenal. Iffy call. And it’s blocked!

That was a horrible call. And then it wasn't overturned by VAR, which the color analyst thought would happen, and which I thought should happen. The defender got the ball on a slide tackle. His clipping of the attacker on the follow-through was incidental, and unavoidable. If the defender had missed the ball, or had got the attacker before the ball, then the call was good. As neither of those things looked to be the case in real time or on replay, then IMHO, the call was terrible.

And then a West Ham defender got a red card after the call, so while the GK blocked the PK, West Ham will play the rest of the match down a man. smh (I don't care who wins. I just want to see good soccer AND a well officiated match.)

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
That was a horrible call. And then it wasn't overturned by VAR, which the color analyst thought would happen, and which I thought should happen. The defender got the ball on a slide tackle. His clipping of the attacker on the follow-through was incidental, and unavoidable. If the defender had missed the ball, or had got the attacker before the ball, then the call was good. As neither of those things looked to be the case in real time or on replay, then IMHO, the call was terrible.

And then a West Ham defender got a red card after the call, so while the GK blocked the PK, West Ham will play the rest of the match down a man. smh (I don't care who wins. I just want to see good soccer AND a well officiated match.)
Why the red card? Straight red or two yellows? On the defender for the “foul” or on someone else, for bitching?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Why the red card? Straight red or two yellows? On the defender for the “foul” or on someone else, for bitching?

That was not clear. The ref was surrounded by West Ham players. He showed a yellow then a red.

BTW, here's the call that resulted in the PK, which I thought was terrible:

Reactions: LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Two yellows. There was an earlier yellow by the same player, Coufal, a clear yellow from the one replay angle I saw. It seemed to me to be a silly foul, although the location of the foul, just outside the penalty box, might have factored into Coufal’s thinking. Anyway, 2-0 Gunners, that’s what it says on the scoreboard.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
This weekend's TV schedule:

Saturday
Man U. vs. Brighton & Hove Albion -- POSTPONED
10:00 am EST - Aston Villa vs. Burley (NBCSN)
Southampton vs. Brentford -- POSTPONED
Watford vs. Crystal Palace -- POSTPONED
West Ham vs. Norwich City -- POSTPONED
12:30 pm EST - Leeds United vs. Arsenal (NBC)

Sunday
Everton vs. Leicester City -- POSTPONED
9:00 am EST - Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Chelsea (USA Network)
9:15 am EST - Newcastle United vs. Man. C. (NBCSN)
11:30 am EST - Tottenham Hotspur vs. Liverpool (Peacock)

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Everton didn't lose today. Yeah!!!!!!

That's a win for my squad nowadays. Kinda happy that Lecister game got postponed. They need to get guys back from injury. Much rather play that in Feb/March.

Reactions: TheGlovStillRules

Latest posts