2021-22 Phillies offseason thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
One of the nicest people you could ever meet. Carol Ann married Hank King to become Carol Ann King. Hank was a baseball lifer who was a coach for the big club for some time. Hank & Carol were very good friends with Pete Rose and his wife.

reports were that Hank excelled in his many roles with the team. I believe he had a messy departure from the team, which seemed wrong to me. I know he was doing some coaching and some instruction after he left/retired, but I haven't heard anything about him in a few years. Any guy that married Carol Ann was definitely a winner.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Goal #1 - Improve the bullpen
Goal #2 - See Goal #1
Goal #3 - See Goal #2

Even given the offensive inconsistencies, the bullpen lost more games than the frustrating offense. There's some money on the table assuming the option isn't picked up on McCutchen. I'd be happy with two consistent, average relievers. A healthy Hoskins will help the offense but 2/3 of the outfield is a huge question mark. I'm hoping for the DH to be instituted in all of MLB. They'll need to find another bat but having the opportunity to move Bohm from third base base would certainly be a step toward improving the defense.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Goal #1 - Improve the bullpen
Goal #2 - See Goal #1
Goal #3 - See Goal #2

Even given the offensive inconsistencies, the bullpen lost more games than the frustrating offense. There's some money on the table assuming the option isn't picked up on McCutchen. I'd be happy with two consistent, average relievers. A healthy Hoskins will help the offense but 2/3 of the outfield is a huge question mark. I'm hoping for the DH to be instituted in all of MLB. They'll need to find another bat but having the opportunity to move Bohm from third base base would certainly be a step toward improving the defense.
What do they do with Hoskins if they move Bohm to first? Will the NL finally adopt the DL?

They need at least one “plus” outfielder this season. Moving Segura and then pushing Didi to 2nd also opens up SS to a defensive improvement.

I think this team is likely more than one offseason away from contention given the breadth and depth of holes.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
reports were that Hank excelled in his many roles with the team. I believe he had a messy departure from the team, which seemed wrong to me. I know he was doing some coaching and some instruction after he left/retired, but I haven't heard anything about him in a few years. Any guy that married Carol Ann was definitely a winner.
Yes, for sure, it was messy. A shame since Hank was a Phillies baseball lifer and it ended poorly.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Pitching is an obvious issue that needs to be addressed, but that outfield needs work, too...

harjeff

Oct 27, 2021
Need to go hard after Castellanos then add a couple solid bullpen pieces. Maybe trade Segura move Didi to 2nd and bring up Stott for SS

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021

If anyone is interested, feel free to write a letter to the Hall supporting Allen’s candidacy again this year. You can address to

The National Baseball Hall Of Fame
ATTN: Golden Days Committee
25 Main Street
Cooperstown, NY 13326

The newly elected Josh Rawitch has commented that Allen has been receiving a lot of support in advance of the December vote. I’m hopeful that the family gets the call, bittersweet as it might be for them.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Time will tell whether Ani can port some of Tampa Bay's success over to The Phillies, but I appreciate Dombrowski making this pivot. He has to try some new approaches to try and rebuild this minors system.

For sure. It's almost as if using a dart board to make picks, and having the players teach instruct themselves, would be more productive. (An exaggeration, but their lack of top line prospects for several years has really hamstrung their efforts to rebuild.)

Reactions: WestSideLion

LundyPSU

Oct 14, 2021
Time will tell whether Ani can port some of Tampa Bay's success over to The Phillies, but I appreciate Dombrowski making this pivot. He has to try some new approaches to try and rebuild this minors system.
Not only draft better and rebuild minors system, they must improve how they view/participate in the international market. This has been as much of a huge miss as the other things.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
IMO that’s the main difference between the Phil’s and the Braves; the minor league system. Albies, Acuna, Freeman, Soroka, Riley and Anderson are all products of the Braves’ minor league system. While Fried and Swanson were originally drafted by other teams, the Braves acquired them when they were still in the minors and developed them.

Latest posts