2021-22 Phillies offseason thread

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
IMO that’s the main difference between the Phil’s and the Braves; the minor league system. Albies, Acuna, Freeman, Soroka, Riley and Anderson are all products of the Braves’ minor league system. While Fried and Swanson were originally drafted by other teams, the Braves acquired them when they were still in the minors and developed them.
It goes back well beyond those guys. The Braves rolled out a big piece nearly every year whether it was the Jones boys, Klesko, Justice, Javy, etc. Glavine, Avery, Mercker, Wohlers. Heck, you might as well put Smoltz on the list since he came over as a farm player in the Alexander trade. Even complimentary players like Blauser.

The Braves have drafted well for a long time.

Here is a strange side bar. The memorabilia business has been pretty active again with private signings being very common. It’s really interesting when you hear of a guy who is an impossible guy to get anything signed from. The great ex Dodgers relief pitcher Mike Marshall (now gone) was impossible. He could not understand why anyone would want his autograph and he refused to sign anything. One step below but nearly as tough to get is Jeff Blauser. You would think a role player like him would like being remembered or to be able to make some money beyond his pension.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
The Braves are definitely the bar in the NL East. The Phillies spent $33M more on roster this year. That’s telling.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Just saw Quinn was DFA. Shame he kept getting bitten by the injury bug. I've been waiting for what seems like five years to see what he could do when healthy for an extended period.

Aquapong

Oct 14, 2021
I think we’re going to largely be sitting out this offseason unless they decide to go over the cap. We have $39 million to spend before the cap and we need 2 relievers, a LF, a CF, and assorted depth players. I just don’t see many real fits on the FA market and no impact trades that won’t cost us our top prospects…which we have very few of.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
I think we’re going to largely be sitting out this offseason unless they decide to go over the cap. We have $39 million to spend before the cap and we need 2 relievers, a LF, a CF, and assorted depth players. I just don’t see many real fits on the FA market and no impact trades that won’t cost us our top prospects…which we have very few of.
It’s a pretty dire situation. The club seems to be beached for some time. That’s why I wonder whether they’ll try to move an established star to get some additional pieces.

It’s a 78-83 win club as constructed. Why shell out top 6-7 payroll for that? I also think a star or two may realize they’re wasting prime years on a non-contending team (Harper?) and be willing to be moved to a better situation.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021

Fascinating and depressing is the info that they designated Medina. Once a guy along with Spencer Howard deemed to be a big part of future plans. You really have to question this organization’s core capabilities of scouting and player development.

delcoLion

Nov 14, 2021
Fascinating and depressing is the info that they designated Medina. Once a guy along with Spencer Howard deemed to be a big part of future plans. You really have to question this organization’s core capabilities of scouting and player development.
No question about that. The GM cleaned house in the scouting/development/minors in August, I think it was, and it will take 5 years to see if the new guys can turnaround that part of the organization.

I’m not getting any younger. That will be a painful wait.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Good Riddance!!!!!
Well, I understand the sentiment towards Neris but it’s not his fault that they mismanaged their pen for years now. Hector always took the ball and the bad decisions were more the fact that they screwed the pooch on Robertson and had Seranthony get hurt. They never really envisioned Neris as the closer and their decisions on Robertson and Seranthony left Neris as the closer. The spring of Robertson’s initial signing, you could see that something was wrong. He couldn’t break glass. We got the usual dead arm excuse. Seranthony was the same, he looked terrible. Rather than surgery, they tried to have Seranthony rest with the result that his arm eventually blew up and necessitated the surgery that most thought was coming. I still maintain that if Hector is your 7th inning guy, you’re in decent shape.

Now they have the Dodgers guy and Seranthony as their back of the bullpen guys.

They have to be crazy that something doesn’t happen to either.

Hector wasn’t the worst of their problems.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Reactions: WestSideLion

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
IMO that’s the main difference between the Phil’s and the Braves; the minor league system. Albies, Acuna, Freeman, Soroka, Riley and Anderson are all products of the Braves’ minor league system. While Fried and Swanson were originally drafted by other teams, the Braves acquired them when they were still in the minors and developed them.
Yep--and when we had the good teams ca. 2006-2011, many of the players were home grown. Rollins, Howard, Hamels, Utley, and Chooch to name a few. That was a pretty good core.

Reactions: Shadow99

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Yep--and when we had the good teams ca. 2006-2011, many of the players were home grown. Rollins, Howard, Hamels, Utley, and Chooch to name a few. That was a pretty good core.
History has proven that a solid core of homegrown players is the best way to win a title and contend over a longer timeline.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
History has proven that a solid core of homegrown players is the best way to win a title and contend over a longer timeline.
The Pirates do the opposite. They develop a solid core of homegrown players and trade them. Many of those players become all-stars elsewhere. Meanwhile, the Pirates are fighting to stay out of last place most seasons. Some owners just suck.

Reactions: WestSideLion

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
For sure. It's almost as if using a dart board to make picks, and having the players teach instruct themselves, would be more productive. (An exaggeration, but their lack of top line prospects for several years has really hamstrung their efforts to rebuild.)
Interesting that ESPN.com released one view of the top 100 prospects in MLB today. The Phillies had 2 or 3, I think. None of their prospects is above #70 or so, but two of the younger guys have elite skills if they can develop.

That underlines the problems facing this team. They need several years of good drafts and prospect development to get back to above average.

Reactions: Shadow99