2021-22 PSU Hockey Thread

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
Looking forward to the USCHO poll to come out tomorrow. We should be ranked again after beating the NoDak team formerly known as fighting Sue.
Definitely! Interesting to see how the team fares with conference play starting this weekend (@OSU this weekend and host Michigan the following weekend). Michigan looks a bit more mortal now with recent losses... would be great as to go 2 or 3 of 3 that weekend (hockey Thu/Fri and football Sat).
- Formerly NittanyLionFan on the old BWI Rivals Board

MJG-90

Oct 12, 2021
I had been to the Preds game in the afternoon and saw lots of UND Hockey jerseys. Did not see one PSU Hockey Jersey.
Does UND have any other interests? Penn State was playing the Buckeyes in football at the same time. My guess is lots more would have made the trip if it wasn’t on a football Saturday.

Also, I’m trying to figure out how this game works. UND is playing ASU in Vegas next year. And reading the thread on their forum, someone said they (UND) only gave Penn State 500 tickets.

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
Does UND have any other interests? Penn State was playing the Buckeyes in football at the same time. My guess is lots more would have made the trip if it wasn’t on a football Saturday.

Also, I’m trying to figure out how this game works. UND is playing ASU in Vegas next year. And reading the thread on their forum, someone said they (UND) only gave Penn State 500 tickets.
No doubt the football game influenced PSU fan participation.

DavidEckert

Sep 20, 2021
Why is NoDak always in the game.
They buy the rights for it. Occasionally they will have an off year, but lately the game has almost always included them. Turns out, there's another benefit that I didn't know about, too: The NCAA limits college hockey teams to 34 games a season. Lots of college hockey teams try to find ways around that to get more games in. The US Hockey Hall of Fame Game is exempt from that number.

gslachta1

Oct 16, 2021
Soliere can’t be in goal if PSU is to have a chance in BIG. Looked like a pinwheel in 3rd period. Looked like he was lost.

Reactions: pennstater97

DavidEckert

Sep 20, 2021
Soliere can’t be in goal if PSU is to have a chance in BIG. Looked like a pinwheel in 3rd period. Looked like he was lost.
Surprised they went with him. Autio has looked good. Gadowsky likes to give the backup an opportunity or two early in the season but typically he cuts that out once conference play starts.

MJG-90

Oct 12, 2021
Souliere has looked good until tonight. OSU has been better on Saturday than on Friday for some reason. Maybe that’s why Souliere started the first game. Expect Autio tomorrow.

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
Was present last night. We had 1-0 lead and a 20-8 shot advantage, many of them quality ones. Once OSU got their first goal they became the better team, registering 12 of the next 14 shots with 3 of them being goals.

Have not witnessed Guy ripping into team like that when he used his TO in a long time.

Do not mind a loss like that in first conference game if it is a wake up call. Maybe team came in feeling too good about the win over N. Dakota.

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
Souliere has looked good until tonight. OSU has been better on Saturday than on Friday for some reason. Maybe that’s why Souliere started the first game. Expect Autio tomorrow.
One odd-man rush and one PP... so, three (potential) "clean" goals. Damn... was hoping that momentum from last weekend would propel the team to a 2-0 conference start heading into next weekend's series with Michigan. Gotta get the split tonight. As mentioned, perhaps a wakeup call early in conference play!

An acquaintance of mine who played with the Icers (i.e., pre-varsity) had mentioned several years ago that Souliere was supposed to be a three- or four-year starter like Jones. Not so sure about that now (and maybe I misheard... he didn't mention him by name). Will he be able to take the reins once Autio moves on? Autio is listed as a Senior, but I assume that he has one more year (COVID or whatever).

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
This team is very painful to watch. I closely watched the play today, and this team has A LOT of work to do on the basics and fundamentals. They are not good. On paper beating North Dakota is awesome, but that may be a very poor ND team.

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
Dropped Game 1 to No. 2 Michigan 1-5. Cut it to 1-2, then Michgan got a quick 3rd goal that killed any momentum. Gadowski said the team lacked mental toughness. Hopefully they rebound with at least a better performance, even if they drop Game 2 (and an 0-4 start to conference play), so as to get some momentum going. Go State!

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
End of 1st, PSU trails Michigan 0-1. PSU even had a 5-min PP and couldn't muster much more than a few SOG (and almost giving up a shortie or two). I hate to say it, but Michigan is scary good. Having said that, Soliere has made a few nice saves. Maybe PSU can steal a goal in the 2nd and get a little Mo going. Go State!

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
And just like that, the Lions light the lamp!!! 1-1.

And just like that, Michigan scores right after to make it 1-2. PSU on the PP 13:30 in 2nd.

I think Michigan had more SOG on that PSU PP than did PSU. Soliere had to come way out of net on a Michigan breakaway.

Michigan just scored on a Michigan PP. 1-3.

Roughing on both squads. 4x4 hockey. 2:35 left in 2nd. Still 1-3.

1-4 end of 2nd. Michigan just playing at another level. I guess that's why they're No. 2.

So... 2-6. PSU couldn't score on a 5-on-3 PP (about 30 sec worth), but got one before the 2nd penalty expired. Then, Michigan scored moments later (a pattern to be sure). Calling it... need some ice cream and the Creamery closes at 10 lol. Go State!

Last edited:
Reactions: nittanymoops

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
PSU up 5-3 at No. 7 Minnesota with about 5 min left in 3rd. Couple of great PP kills, including a 5-on-3 for about 30 or 40 seconds midway in 3rd. (was actually around 7 min left)

90 seconds left. Empty net. Still 5-3.

Autio with 31 saves so far, including a big one with 70 seconds left. Still 5-3.

PSU closes it out 5-3. First conference win of the season. Autio with a big night!

In other conference action, ND took down Michigan (who had just retaken the No. 1 ranking this week lol).

Last edited:
Reactions: BVSt.Paul and A2nit

BVSt.Paul

Oct 12, 2021
PSU staying in town to play St. Thomas University Tuesday and Wednesday at a small 1,000 seat arena. St. Thomas just jumped from Div 3 to Div 1 this year. Their beautiful campus is a 20 minute walk from my home. Heading to the game on Tuesday. Unfortunately, their rink is not on campus but is close by. Should be fun.

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
The Lions drop Game 2 at Minnesota 2-4. Played well in stretches, but got undone by the PP in the 3rd. Took a 1-0 lead in the 2nd, Minnesota then tied it 1-1. The Gophers scored next on a PP but PSU countered to knot it at 2-2 in the 3rd. Minnesota then scored as a 5-on-3 ended (first penalty too many men on the ice and second a seeming ticky-tack call) and then got an empty netter. As BVSt.Paul noted, PSU plays St. Thomas in a few days before heading home.

In other conference play, ND swept Michigan with another OT win tonight in Ann Arbor (back-to-back).

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
As expected, the Lions sweep St. Thomas. Scores were 5-1 & 4-1. Seemed like hard-fought wins in a way (some streaky/ quick scoring), but nice to get back in the win column! A break this weekend before hosting MSU the next.

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
Its been a tough season. Won't make the NCAAs unless they get hot and win the B1G Tourney (which is pretty unlikely given performaces against the top teir of the B1G this season). Not quite mathematically eliminated from home ice for the B1G Quarterfinals (trail 4th place ND - this weekend's opponent - by 9 points), but pretty likely eliminated barring sweeps in their three remaining series (@ ND, v Minnesota, @ MSU) and collapses by ND and Minnesota against Wisconsin and MSU (unlikely).

TheGlovStillRules

Oct 14, 2021
Its been a tough season. Won't make the NCAAs unless they get hot and win the B1G Tourney (which is pretty unlikely given performaces against the top teir of the B1G this season). Not quite mathematically eliminated from home ice for the B1G Quarterfinals (trail 4th place ND - this weekend's opponent - by 9 points), but pretty likely eliminated barring sweeps in their three remaining series (@ ND, v Minnesota, @ MSU) and collapses by ND and Minnesota against Wisconsin and MSU (unlikely).

Well, if the Big Ten powers-that-be would NOT have let ND into our conference, we would NOT be 9 points behind them! LOL!! JK