2022 PSU WSOC Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
appears PSU will be losing an assistant coach at the conclusion of the NCAA tournament:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I've got something to attend, so I'll leave it to others to track this match and update folks on the results.

Go PSU!

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
PSU scores 1st, @ 14:49 left in the 1st half, to go up 1-0.

Around the 23 minute mark, PSU had hit the post.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Crap. UVA as been dominating the 2nd half, but PSU was successfully keeping them out of the net. Their luck ran out with @ 16 and a half left in the match. UVA centered a ball in front of the net. A UVA player headed it on to the goal, and Katerine Asman made the initial save. Alas, all she could do is block the ball, and the girl that headed it was able to step to the rebound and kick it into the goal.

PSU is going to have to get their offense going in the 2nd half (or in OT), or they're going to lose the match.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
PSU's offense wakes up, and they score a goal with 8 minutes left. Schlegal set up Linnehan, who took a shot that hit the post, and PSU freshman, Amelia White, knocked in the rebound.

2-1, PSU

Last edited:
Reactions: BVSt.Paul

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Crap, UVA scores an equalizer with 2:07 left. UVA got away with a foul (not called) that enabled them to win the ball just outside the box and center the ball in front of the net, which a UVA player headed in to the net.

2-2

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
2-2, at the end of regulation.

OT is 2 10-minute periods, with no golden goal. If tied at the end of OT, then they'll go to PKs

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
UVA scores 4 minutes into the 1st OT. A fluky play. The centering pass by UVA got deflected. PSU's GK came out to make the save, but the deflection must have fooled her, as she only got a hand on the ball, and another UVA attacker near the far post knocked in the loose ball. UVA with their 1st lead of the match, 3-2 in the 1st OT.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
End of the 1st OT period, it's 3-2, UVA.

PSU is going to need to turn up the intensity on their offense or their season will come to an end.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
PSU with several shots on the net in the 2nd period of OT, but not scored.

Final, 3-2, UVA

Damn, damn, damn

PSUDC

Oct 12, 2021
Crap, UVA scores an equalizer with 2:07 left. UVA got away with a foul (not called) that enabled them to win the ball just outside the box and center the ball in front of the net, which a UVA player headed in to the net.

2-2
The foul by UVA was so obvious our players may have relaxed. The non-call led directly to the tying goal, with only minutes left to kill. Feel awful for our women.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
The foul by UVA was so obvious our players may have relaxed. The non-call led directly to the tying goal, with only minutes left to kill. Feel awful for our women.

I'm going from memory, but I think I have the details correct.

The ball was off a UVA player, and the PSU player was trying to shield it as it went out of bounds, so that PSU would have a goal kick. A UVA player attempted to run around the PSU player that was shielding, and got aside her, closer to the goal line than the PSU player was. At that point, there was some banging (so to speak), which would just be a legitimate shoulder challenge, and thus no foul. To protect the ball from the UVA player, the PSU player turned a bit so that she was between the ball and the UVA player. (At that point, it was questionable to me if the ball was even going to go out of bounds.) The UVA player continued her shoulder challenge, but since the PSU player had turned, it now became the UVA player's shoulder into the back of the PSU player. The PSU player fell down as a result of the contact, and since it was a foul from behind and not from a shoulder challenge, the call should have been a foul against the UVA player the spot, resulting in a free kick for PSU.

In situations where one player is shielding a ball, and the other player is trying to get to it, it's not uncommon for there to be some jostling. The refs expect that, and allow it to play out until one player exceeds acceptable actions, and creates an advance for them/disadvantage the other player. Plays where two players are involved in a shoulder challenge, and one player turns, are a challenge for refs, but most of the time they see that the dynamics have changed, and one player has committed a foul, and whistle it. On the play in question, the center ref was in a challenging situation, as the play took place right along the goal line, and it went from a legitimate shoulder challenge to a foul in the back quickly, and when it did the player that was fouled was between the ref and the player that committed the foul. In such situations, it usually becomes the responsibility of the AR (1 of the 2 refs on the side, who in this case was the closest ref to the action) to either signal the foul with their flag, or to verbally communicate over the comm system to the center ref that a foul took place. I don't recall if the AR was in the TV frame when the foul took place so I can't comment on whether or not they signaled a foul (which the center ref does not have to accept and call if they feel differently), and we'll never know what was communicated between the AR and the center ref over the comm system.

As you noted, the non-call did lead directly to the tying goal with just over 2 minutes in regulation.

The final result, and the non-call of the foul, do suck for PSU. UVA does deserve some credit, as they pretty much dominated the 2nd half, and a chunk of the two overtime periods.