2023-24 Flyers Thread

jp3272

Dec 26, 2021
I saw a stat during tonight’s game… the Flyers have allowed 3 goals or less in their last 13 road games. Hart and Ersson are playing solid in goal. This team has a long way to go but they are fun to watch.

Reactions: Whart

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Can someone knowledgeable about the team please explain why they are having success? I’m just a casual fan and looking to jump onto their bandwagon. I don’t recognize the names of about half the roster anymore. All I know is they’re fun to watch again - finally. Thanks

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I bet you were partying in Voorhees and Cherry Hill in the day with the guys of that era, you wildman.
Ha! I was 10 years old or so.....but they definitely captured the local audience.

A number of years later, I did run into a few of them....at a place called Kaminsky's in Cherry Hill on Brace Road. They were all very nice guys (at least to me). Ran into Dave Schultz about 6 or so years ago, and frankly, he was not as big as I expected him to be (of course, he is signficantly older, so perhaps he shrunk). Bill Barber had a boat called Slap Shot that was on the Mullica River. Gary Dornhoefer's daughter was a year behind me in school.

Thanks for bringing up some good memories.

Oct 12, 2021
After 50 years, one would hope the blind squirrel/acorn thing could take effect?! lol
True. As a Flyers fan, it's been a long time. Hell, PSU football has only been 37 years. Anyway, this says it all:

Flyers Cup finals appearances
1974 won vs. Boston
1975 won vs. Buffalo
1976 defeated by Montreal
1980 defeated by NY Islanders
1985 defeated by Edmonton
1987 defeated by Edmonton
1997 defeated by Detroit

Five straight. Granted, they lost to some powerhouse teams. Still. Brutal.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
True. As a Flyers fan, it's been a long time. Hell, PSU football has only been 37 years. Anyway, this says it all:

1974 won vs. Boston
1975 won vs. Buffalo
1997 defeated by Detroit

That 1976 Montreal team was amazing.....still have visions of Guy Lafleur sakting circles around the Flyer's defense. He was really something.

Oct 12, 2021
That 1976 Montreal team was amazing.....still have visions of Guy Lafleur sakting circles around the Flyer's defense. He was really something.
Something like nine players from that Canadiens team are in the Hockey Hall of Fame. They were just better and Bernie was injured with that pinched nerve, missed most of the season, and not in top form against the Canadiens. The Flyers only chance was for Bernie to play like he had in the previous two finals. Even if he had they wouldn't have been favored.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Something like nine players from that Canadiens team are in the Hockey Hall of Fame. They were just better and Bernie was injured with that pinched nerve, missed most of the season, and not in top form against the Canadiens. The Flyers only chance was for Bernie to play like he had in the previous two finals. Even if he had they wouldn't have been favored.
I agree - they were just an amazing team.....in a long line of amazing Montreal teams...

Wayne Stephenson, who was the goalie in 1980 after Bernie got hurt, lived down the street from me. I remember riding my bike past his house after
the loss to the Islanders - he was outside doing some yard work - you could tell he was still physically upset of the "non offsides call" on Bob Nystrom. (Effing Leon Stickle!) He was normally very affable, and always waved to the kids on the street, but when we rode past his house, you could tell he wanted no part of discussions with anyone - least of all kids.

You have really taken me back Stamford....so good to think about some of these child hood moments.

Last edited:

Relayer

Oct 12, 2021

1974 won vs. Boston
1975 won vs. Buffalo
1997 defeated by Detroit

Also lost to Chicago in the 2010 finals.

Of course we all know the outcome in Game 6 against the Islanders might have been different if they had replay reviews back then.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Hockey stuff:

I remember they hung out in Rexy’s Bar in NJ after the games. I think it was on Rt 130 somewhere like Cinaminson.

I just did a 75th birthday bucket list trip to Montreal to see the Canadiens play the Detroit Red wings at the Bell Centre. Game went into OT, 5-4 Reds. The area is amazing - statues of the old timers all along the outside of the 22,000 seat arena, fire pits blazing so you can have a snack and a beer outside even in the cold before going inside, great smoked meat (take note tailgaters) sandwiches and of course poutine at the refreshment stands, and light shows and DJs between periods. Before the game they introduced the Montreal Allouettes who had just won the Grey Cup (Canadian Football League, who knew?), and the highlight for me was hearing some opera singer do both the American and Canadian national anthems, the Canadian one being half French and half in English.

We then took a first class train ride to Quebec City and stay in the Chateau Frontenac for 3 nights. While long defunct, I was able to pick up some souvenirs of the Quebec Nordiques! I always thought they had a great logo, and Gene Hart always loved to go on road trips there because they had the best “pommes frites” in the NHL. I will vouch that they have great food in Quebec. My 3 course prix fixe lunch one day was pea soup, bison baked in puff pastry with blueberry sauce, maple syrup pie, and a glass of red ale. The restaurant was housed in a building dating back to 1675.

oops - sorry to get off way subject

I think there is a minor league hockey team in Quebec City now called the Ramparts.

So again, why are the Flyers winning all of a sudden? Is it the coach, the young guys? The defense?

Last edited:

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Hockey stuff:

I remember they hung out in Rexy’s Bar in NJ after the games. I think it was on Rt 130 somewhere like Cinaminson.

I just did a 75th birthday bucket list trip to Montreal to see the Canadiens play the Detroit Red wings at the Bell Centre. Game went into OT, 5-4 Reds. The area is amazing - statues of the old timers all along the outside of the 22,000 seat arena, fire pits blazing so you can have a snack and a beer outside even in the cold before going inside, great smoked meat (take note tailgaters) sandwiches and of course poutine at the refreshment stands, and light shows and DJs between periods. Before the game they introduced the Montreal Allouettes who had just won the Grey Cup (Canadian Football League, who knew?), and the highlight for me was hearing some opera singer do both the American and Canadian national anthems, the Canadian one being half French and half in English.

We then took a first class train ride to Quebec City and stay in the Chateau Frontenac for 3 nights. While long defunct, I was able to pick up some souvenirs of the Quebec Nordiques! I always thought they had a great logo, and Gene Hart always love to go on road trips there because they had the best “pommes frites” in the NHL. I will vouch that they have great food in Quebec. My 3 course prix fixe lunch one day was pea soup, bison baked in puff pastry with blueberry sauce, maple syrup pie, and a glass of red ale. The restaurant was housed in a building dating back to 1675.

I think there is a minor league hocky team in Quebec City now called the Ramparts.

So again, why are the Flyers winning all of a sudden? Is it the coach, the young guys? The defense?
They did hang out at Rexy's Bar. Black Horse Pike just off Route 130 in West Collingswood. Cinnaminson is about 10 miles up the road....but good memory on your part...

Reactions: Nitwit
Oct 12, 2021
It's been a fun ride so far.

I would imagine you are kind of young . I watched the flyers for years and they would be great the whole regular season then the playoffs would start and they would get knocked out in the first round or they would make it through to the Stanley Cup finals and lose some weird way always would be something to ruin the year for all the flyers fans. I hope that changes for them this year.

Colt2169

Dec 13, 2021
Can someone knowledgeable about the team please explain why they are having success? I’m just a casual fan and looking to jump onto their bandwagon. I don’t recognize the names of about half the roster anymore. All I know is they’re fun to watch again - finally. Thanks
They got “Balls” !

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Hockey stuff:

We then took a first class train ride to Quebec City and stay in the Chateau Frontenac for 3 nights. While long defunct, I was able to pick up some souvenirs of the Quebec Nordiques! I always thought they had a great logo, and Gene Hart always love to go on road trips there because they had the best “pommes frites” in the NHL. I will vouch that they have great food in Quebec. My 3 course prix fixe lunch one day was pea soup, bison baked in puff pastry with blueberry sauce, maple syrup pie, and a glass of red ale. The restaurant was housed in a building dating back to 1675.

I think there is a minor league hocky team in Quebec City now called the Ramparts.

Montreal - especially Old Montreal is fabulous….spent a lot of time working there over my career m.

Quebec City is a bucket list trip for me!

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Montreal - especially Old Montreal is fabulous….spent a lot of time working there over my career m.

Quebec City is a bucket list trip for me!
I might do it next summer on the M/C. The eastern portion of the province (north of Vermont, NH and western Maine) is supposed to be very bucolic.

Relayer

Oct 12, 2021
I would imagine you are kind of young . I watched the flyers for years and they would be great the whole regular season then the playoffs would start and they would get knocked out in the first round or they would make it through to the Stanley Cup finals and lose some weird way always would be something to ruin the year for all the flyers fans. I hope that changes for them this year.
I'm young enough to remember attending game 6 on May 19, 1974, five rows from the ice next to the Flyers bench. Only being 11 at the time, that day is still one of the greatest moments in my life. The old Spectrum was insanity on that spring afternoon, I'll never forget it.

Let's go Flyers, let's go Gene Hart....

Reactions: psuro and A2nit

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Hockey stuff:

We then took a first class train ride to Quebec City and stay in the Chateau Frontenac for 3 nights. While long defunct, I was able to pick up some souvenirs of the Quebec Nordiques! I always thought they had a great logo, and Gene Hart always loved to go on road trips there because they had the best “pommes frites” in the NHL. I will vouch that they have great food in Quebec. My 3 course prix fixe lunch one day was pea soup, bison baked in puff pastry with blueberry sauce, maple syrup pie, and a glass of red ale. The restaurant was housed in a building dating back to 1675.

I think there is a minor league hockey team in Quebec City now called the Ramparts.

@Bkmtnittany1 says hold my beer, we're going on a road trip to Montreal. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

On second thought, he's probably holding onto his beer, and looking to get a few cases to bring on his road trip.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Have to admit living in FL its more difficult following the Flyers and for the last decade its been a chore rooting for this team. But this they have me re-energized and following them. The Glove is not happy about the Flyers success :ROFLMAO: We used to get into some good Penguins/Flyers discussions.

Oct 12, 2021
I'm young enough to remember attending game 6 on May 19, 1974, five rows from the ice next to the Flyers bench. Only being 11 at the time, that day is still one of the greatest moments in my life. The old Spectrum was insanity on that spring afternoon, I'll never forget it.

Let's go Flyers, let's go Gene Hart....
When I was young my parents didn’t have prism so I used to listen to the flyers games on the radio. Gene Hart and Bobby Taylor were great. I will always remember that. Good times

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
after giving up 5 in the first, Hart has stood on his head through OT. GREAT saves in the extra. Great to see Torts keep him in to fight through.

Latest posts