2023-24 PSU MBB Thread

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Great win. I don’t even like basketball, but I tuned in to see them play at Rec Hall. All the games should be at Rec Hall ( as long as they don’t interfere with the wrestling matches). It’s a great home court advantage. As most of you know, I’m not a fan of BJC.

Reactions: LionJim

Bosco2

Oct 25, 2021
Great win. I don’t even like basketball, but I tuned in to see them play at Rec Hall. All the games should be at Rec Hall ( as long as they don’t interfere with the wrestling matches). It’s a great home court advantage. As most of you know, I’m not a fan of BJC.
If all games were played at Rec Hall there would eventually be a hailstorm of complaints from people that couldn't get tickets. Tickets for last night's game were only available to students and season ticket holders. Any empty seats would have been filled if they were available to those that wanted to get in.

Reactions: Achowalogan

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I’m
If all games were played at Rec Hall there would eventually be a hailstorm of complaints from people that couldn't get tickets. Tickets for last night's game were only available to students and season ticket holders. Any empty seats would have been filled if they were available to those that wanted to get in.
I’m guessing if it wasn’t a one time event, the tickets would have been available for purchase to more than those two groups. When’s the last time bball sold out the BJC?

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I’m

I’m guessing if it wasn’t a one time event, the tickets would have been available for purchase to more than those two groups. When’s the last time bball sold out the BJC?
Once in 2020, and before that once in 2011.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Do I like the BJC? No. Do I wish we could have done a Gallagher-Iba renovation of Rec Hall? Yes, even though it was physically impossible. Having a game each year there is a good idea, but calling to move all games there or to Pegula is one of the most short sighted ideas ever.

According to Penn State, the current capacity for Rec Hall is 6,502. Pegula is even less. Average home attendance through 15 games this year (which includes the games at the Palestra and Rec Hall) is 8,053. To turn away fans that are willing to make the trek for weekend games is idiotic. I remember many loud and lively games in RecHall. I also remember a lot of pin drop games there as well. The BJC can be loud, it's a matter of getting a program that is consistently good enough to get it to 10-12,000 in attendance for every game. Going back to a capacity of 6,500 makes no sense.

Reactions: BobPSU92 and Bosco2

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
Do I like the BJC? No. Do I wish we could have done a Gallagher-Iba renovation of Rec Hall? Yes, even though it was physically impossible. Having a game each year there is a good idea, but calling to move all games there or to Pegula is one of the most short sighted ideas ever.

According to Penn State, the current capacity for Rec Hall is 6,502. Pegula is even less. Average home attendance through 15 games this year (which includes the games at the Palestra and Rec Hall) is 8,053. To turn away fans that are willing to make the trek for weekend games is idiotic. I remember many loud and lively games in RecHall. I also remember a lot of pin drop games there as well. The BJC can be loud, it's a matter of getting a program that is consistently good enough to get it to 10-12,000 in attendance for every game. Going back to a capacity of 6,500 makes no sense.
But what is the average home attendance for midweek games at BJC? Moving those to Rec Hall may be prudent.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
But what is the average home attendance for midweek games at BJC? Moving those to Rec Hall may be prudent.
Analysis I posted elsewhere...

Looking at our last two NCAA caliber teams, here are the numbers down the stretch...

Saturday 1/11/20 - ranked 20th hosting Wisconsin - 10,139
Saturday 1/18/20 - Ohio St (Thon Game) - 14,785
Wednesday 1/29/20 - ranked 24th hosting Indiana - 7,656
Saturday 2/8/20 - ranked 22 hosting Minnesota - 15,261 (bravo)
Saturday 2/15/20 - ranked 13th hosting Northwestern - 14,402
Tuesday 2/18/20 - ranked 9th hosting Illinois - 9,506 (really disappointing)
Wednesday 2/26/20 - ranked 16th hosting Rutgers - 8,345
Tuesday 3/3/20 - ranked 20th hosting 16th Michigan St - 13,437
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday 1/11/23 - Indiana - 8,502
Saturday 1/21/23 - Nebraska - 11,297
Sunday 1/29/23 (Thon Game) - Michigan - 12,047
Wednesday 2/8/23 - Wisconsin - 7,213
Tuesday 2/14/23 - Illinois - 7,297
Sunday 2/26/23 - Rutgers - 12,082
Sunday 3/5/23 - hosting 21st Maryland - 10,672 (really disappointing)

There isn't another team in the conference outside of Northwestern that has this many empty seats in their building as they're pushing for an NCAA bid. There are many factors here (BJC too big, fanbase too spread out for weeknight games, lack of fans that make attending basketball games a priority, etc)...but they are factors that no one other than Northwestern faces (and it's that much tougher to recruit bringing high school kids into a morgue when our peers have packed houses night in and night out, most even in their down years).

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Without even looking at the attendance numbers, moving all weeknight games would be a logistical disaster.

Reactions: Bosco2

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Kids had basketball and gymnastics this afternoon so I finally got to finish watching the game. Team is really starting to understand their roles offensively. Still look like a sieve on interior defense though.

I do not see them winning the Big Ten tournament but I could definitely see them getting a couple wins now. It’s a shame that they have three or four ugly losses from December on their résumé.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

Is that tickets sold or actual attendance? Sometimes they are much different. The BJC can seat 16,000. Even if that number is attendance, there are still 8,000 empty seats on average. Not much of a home court advantage.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Is that tickets sold or actual attendance? Sometimes they are much different. The BJC can seat 16,000. Even if that number is attendance, there are still 8,000 empty seats on average. Not much of a home court advantage.

Tickets sold. Do you know what tickets sold also means? Revenue. Want to know a sure fire way weaken any sports program? Reduce revenue and possibly increase costs by moving every other home game to rec hall.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Tickets sold. Do you know what tickets sold also means? Revenue. Want to know a sure fire way weaken any sports program? Reduce revenue and possibly increase costs by moving every other home game to rec hall.
I get it. It’s just not a good look and adds to the perception that PSU basketball is irrelevant and nobody shows up, even if they are doing well. That makes retaining a coach and recruiting even harder than it already is. Which environment do you think the coach and players (and recruits) would prefer? A smaller, full, louder environment or a dungeonous, 1/2 full, echoing environment?

cac@PSU

Oct 15, 2021
Yeas ago I attened the last game that Knight coached at PSU. There was a red sea of IU fans dressed in red sweathers.IU has not recoved since the dismissal of Knight.

Reactions: LB99

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
I get it. It’s just not a good look and adds to the perception that PSU basketball is irrelevant and nobody shows up, even if they are doing well. That makes retaining a coach and recruiting even harder than it already is. Which environment do you think the coach and players (and recruits) would prefer? A smaller, full, louder environment or a dungeonous, 1/2 full, echoing environment?
I think Rec Hall on weekdays and BJC on weekends is a great solution.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Yeas ago I attened the last game that Knight coached at PSU. There was a red sea of IU fans dressed in red sweathers.IU has not recoved since the dismissal of Knight.
At the time, I thought PSU should have hired Knight. He was supposedly friends with Paterno and I thought it was PSU’s best shot at being relevant in basketball. The hire would have probably been controversial though as it turned out Knight wasn’t that nice of a guy.

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
The BJC is obviously a tremendous home advantage for the Lions. None of the visiting teams ever play in any other half-full echoing arenas HAHA! 🤣