2023-24 PSU Men's Ice Hockey Thread

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Here for senior night, round two vs Bucky after last night’s mauling. Hoping for a better result!

Lugris cleans up a rebound as the Lions strike first!

Bucky started strong, but an early penalty put them on their heels and helped the Lions find their footing. Two PP failed to yield a goal for the blue and white. Sustained pressure helped them keep the Badgers at bay, and Lugris struck. End 1, 1-0.

Lions spent most of second period killing penalties. That limited their chances offensively. Had a few good ones that they failed to convert. Bucky had several and finally broke through late in the period. However, they were hit with a game misconduct for a head hit. Lions have more than four minutes remaining on an AYCE PP to start the third. 1-1.

Lions failed to capitalize and Bucky got a cheap holding PP and cashed in. 2-1 Bucky

Sarlo does some digging with the stick, gets it to Kirwan for the equalizer. 7:33 to go!

Bucky PP, 2:43 to go.

Lions killed the penalty, and the third ends 2-2.
OT coming up.

Bucky wins 3-2 in OT. Good game, and OT was nice back and forth with chances for both squads. Tough way to lose on senior night.

Last edited:

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Doubtful. OSU playing really good hockey right now. I would not be surprised to see us fall to 7 seed.
Based on my reading of the B1G tiebreakers, I think PSU has locked itself into the 6 seed. OSU would have to sweep this weekend without either game heading to a shootout. In that sweep scenario, both teams would have 21 points. Both would be 2-2 head-to-head, so i think tiebreaker (b) would favor PSU since both teams would have 5 regulation wins but PSU would have 15 regulation losses while OSU would have 16 regulation losses. If that is incorrect, and the tiebreaker (c) was necessary, both would have 5 RW. So tiebreaker (d) would be needed, and PSU would win based on one fewer regulation loss. (If I am wrong, please correct me.)

Domers are locked in to 5 seed. UM and Gophers play @ Goldy this weekend. Goldy is currently up three points on Michiganistan. Sparty and Bucky square off for the top seed and the bye as well. On the whole, we've historically played better @ Goldy than @ Yost. That said, unless Souliere channels his inner Patrick Roy, we're looking at an early end to the season. Bucky and PSU essentially average the same Goals For (3.3PSU/3.4 Bucky), but our Goals Against is a hideous 3.7 to Bucky's 1.9. If you're looking for answers, look no further.

Here are the first four tiebreakers I cited above:

In the event of an unbalanced schedule due to the cancellation of games, the conference champion and seeding for the Big Ten Men’s Ice Hockey Tournament shall be determined by regular-season points percentage in all Big Ten games, with ties broken according to the following procedure.

a) Seeding amongst tied teams shall be determined by the team with the best regular-season winning percentage against the other tied team(s);

b) If not determined by (a), seeding amongst tied teams shall be determined by the team with the best regular-season winning percentage in all Big Ten games;

c) If not determined by (a) or (b), seeding amongst tied teams shall be determined by the greater number of Big Ten regular-season regulation wins;

d) If not determined by (a) or (b) or (c), seeding amongst tied teams shall be determined by the team with the fewest number of Big Ten regular season regulation losses;

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Watching as the Gophers hammer Michiganistan and lock up the 3 seed.

PSU @ Goldy, best of 3 next weekend to open B1G tournament.

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021

Latest posts