2023 B1G Tourney Session 4 Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I'm setting this up the night before, so that everyone knows the plans, has the links, etc.

Please use the thread for all pre-session, in-session, and post-session discussion for the 2023 B1G Wrestling Tournament.

When:
March 4, 4:30 pm EST

Where:
Crisler Center, Ann Arbor, MI

TV:
BTN -- they'll be showing the Championship matches. If one finishes early, they may provide some coverage of the 3rd & 5th place matches, but that's hard to predict in advance

Video Streaming:
For subscribers, you can stream it via B1G+. They'll be covering the 3rd & 5th place matches

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. The pre-Session portion of the broadcast will begin at 4:10 pm EST, with the actual PBP of the matches taking place at 4:30 pm EST. You can access the audio stream at:

Team Scoring:
The best place to track the team scoring is the Penn State Wrestling Club web site. The link for the team scoring is:

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/tournament_team_score.php?id=28&type=team

PBP:
I'll be reffing, and if I'm lucky I'll get home for the last couple of matches. As such, I'm out for PBP. @GregPickelis has indicated that he'll be covering the action (from home, not from the Crisler Center). Hopefully, several of you will also step forward and provide some PBP, or some analysis, or some comments on each match. As always, I remind you to please include the score for the match, and the team score for the dual, in your posts, or provide some context (wrestler, school, and weight class) beyond just "that's not a takedown." It also helps to give folks a heads up as to what mat a PSU wrestler will be wrestling on. You can usually get that info from Ironhead's audio PBP, from Penn State Wrestling's twitter account, or from TrackWrestling.

bohucon

Oct 31, 2021
I'm setting this up the night before, so that everyone knows the plans, has the links, etc.

Please use the thread for all pre-session, in-session, and post-session discussion for the 2023 B1G Wrestling Tournament.

When:
March 4, 4:30 pm EST

Where:
Crisler Center, Ann Arbor, MI

TV:
BTN -- they'll be showing the Championship matches. If one finishes early, they may provide some coverage of the 3rd & 5th place matches, but that's hard to predict in advance

Video Streaming:
For subscribers, you can stream it via B1G+. They'll be covering the 3rd & 5th place matches

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. The pre-Session portion of the broadcast will begin at 4:10 pm EST, with the actual PBP of the matches taking place at 4:30 pm EST. You can access the audio stream at:

Team Scoring:
The best place to track the team scoring is the Penn State Wrestling Club web site. The link for the team scoring is:

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/tournament_team_score.php?id=28&type=team

PBP:
I'll be reffing, and if I'm lucky I'll get home for the last couple of matches. As such, I'm out for PBP. @GregPickelis has indicated that he'll be covering the action (from home, not from the Crisler Center). Hopefully, several of you will also step forward and provide some PBP, or some analysis, or some comments on each match. As always, I remind you to please include the score for the match, and the team score for the dual, in your posts, or provide some context (wrestler, school, and weight class) beyond just "that's not a takedown." It also helps to give folks a heads up as to what mat a PSU wrestler will be wrestling on. You can usually get that info from Ironhead's audio PBP, from Penn State Wrestling's twitter account, or from TrackWrestling.
Thank you for all that you did this weekend...

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Anybody else a big Dean Hamiti fan today? I really want to see him hammer Kennedy. Kennedy doesn’t excite me whatsoever.

For what it’s worth, the Iowa board is complaining that their guys and coaches don’t adjust from match to match when facing an opponent multiple times and that their wrestlers don’t get much better throughout their careers in the program. When your own fans notice this, certainly high level recruits notice it too.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Anybody else a big Dean Hamiti fan today? I really want to see him hammer Kennedy. Kennedy doesn’t excite me whatsoever.

For what it’s worth, the Iowa board is complaining that their guys and coaches don’t adjust from match to match when facing an opponent multiple times and that their wrestlers don’t get much better throughout their careers in the program. When your own fans notice this, certainly high level recruits notice it too.

Don’t worry they’ll walk this back. This happens every year. They get smacked with a reality check and the cesspool all of a sudden starts making sense. They come back to reality this time every year. In a week they’ll be right back to their delusions. They’ll be talking about winning the team title and they’ll be back on board the Warner and Cass hype train. When it doesn’t happen in Tulsa and we win again with multiple champs the reality will hit again on day two of the NCAA tournament. It’ll last a week and they’ll be right back to Iowa winning it all next year, Cael can’t coach or develop guys etc until this time next year.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Don’t worry they’ll walk this back. This happens every year. They get smacked with a reality check and the cesspool all of a sudden starts making sense. They come back to reality this time every year. In a week they’ll be right back to their delusions. They’ll be talking about winning the team title and they’ll be back on board the Warner and Cass hype train. When it doesn’t happen in Tulsa and we win again with multiple champs the reality will hit again on day two of the NCAA tournament. It’ll last a week and they’ll be right back to Iowa winning it all next year, Cael can’t coach or develop guys etc until this time next year.

Oh, I know. It’s pretty entertaining. The things/people they cling onto the most as their style and tradition are the very things holding them back. They are too close to the fire to see it or they still won’t admit it. The sport has grown and evolved and they are still stuck in the ‘80’s.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021

Outside of Lee do any of the Iowa wrestlers excite? They rarely shoot and typically look for one take down a match hoping to then ride their way to a victory. They are very good at defending and riding but man what a snooze fest. Kennedy got his takedown at the end.

Gronky

Nov 10, 2021
Oh, I know. It’s pretty entertaining. The things/people they cling onto the most as their style and tradition are the very things holding them back. They are too close to the fire to see it or they still won’t admit it. The sport has grown and evolved and they are still stuck in the ‘80’s.
From what I saw yesterday, Iowa is not alone in being stuck in past, when it comes to style. Most of the Big Ten is still there!! Cael/PSU is trying to drag the sport forward kicking & screaming...

Reactions: Got GSPs and LB99

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Mat 3 will have the championship bouts. Looks like mat 1 will have 3rd and mat 2 will have 5th. IIRC you'll have to watch on BTN+ if you want to watch 3rd and 5th. Very minimal coverage on TV for those matches.

LifeLongLion

Oct 6, 2021
Outside of Lee do any of the Iowa wrestlers excite? They rarely shoot and typically look for one take down a match hoping to then ride their way to a victory. They are very good at defending and riding but man what a snooze fest. Kennedy got his takedown at the end.
Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

Reactions: cb1994

RS17

May 3, 2022
Beau wrestled well. Aggressive and the OSU kid started early a few times underneath.

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021
Excellent match between Woods of Iowa and Hardy of Nebraska.Hardy just missed a takedown late in the Third Period to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: s1uggo72

RS17

May 3, 2022
Calling my shot Woods gets upset before the finals at Nationals. He is losing steam.

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
Murin just better through 1.
SVN stays looking defensive and lost against him.

RS17

May 3, 2022
Murin just couter shooting the whole time as SVN presses forward

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
SVN was the better wrestler in the 2nd and 3rd and looked better than in all 7 prior periods.
Just didn’t know what to do out of the gate and got caught early.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
SVN was the better wrestler in the 2nd and 3rd and looked better than in all 7 prior periods.
Just didn’t know what to do out of the gate and got caught early.

Overtime if they meet at Nationals.

Reactions: cb1994

RS17

May 3, 2022
Murin played the edge like a seasoned pro. SVN presses forward the whole match and Murin fires off counter shots the whole match. Wonder what happens if SVN just hangs back and lets Murin come forward.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Murin played the edge like a seasoned pro. SVN presses forward the whole match and Murin fires off counter shots the whole match. Wonder what happens if SVN just hangs back and lets Murin come forward.
I'm sure they'll have a plan in place just in case for Tulsa