2023 PA States Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Here is the Gaj-Church match.

In addition to the penalties noted above, Church's front headlocks looked like borderline chokes, and pretty sure he had a fistful of headgear on at least one in the first period.

wow, that was even uglier than I imagined (I didn't see the match on Saturday).

The eye pokes were easy calls. There were a few others that were borderline. The uniform pull was too obvious. Most of the time the wrestler that does it tries to be a little more subtle about it.

The first headlock (not technically a headlock, but I think you know what I mean) was okay. The second one was across the wind pipe, and I would have either been talking to Church (generally you'll say "keep it legal," or you could even say "stay off the wind pipe") or might even have stopped the match (though you generally look for some reaction from the other wrestler to indicate that it's impacting them, and I didn't see that from Gaj).

The hand on the headgear is a tough one. It's not uncommon for wrestlers to have their hands on an ear covering. You can say "keep it legal," but more often you wait to see what they do with that hand. If they try to move or turn the head and the fingers are definitely curved around the edge, then you stop things and give the opponent 1 point. Since Church didn't try to do anything with the hand that was on the ear piece, and wrestling was stopped by a stalemate, I didn't have an issue with how the ref handled the situation.