2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Sam Purcell blew it. He struck out on HVL and lost a promising young guard, Mjracle Sheppard, in the process. If you're going to recruit over players, you better land the recruit. And, honestly, even if he had landed HVL, I'm not sure she was worth losing a young player when HVL would only play one season.

I guess there are still players our there, so maybe Purcell can salvage this offseason. This whole NIL/portal thing is so new and unprecedented that many coaches really have no idea what they are doing.

cockyclt

Sep 22, 2022
Sam Purcell blew it. He struck out on HVL and lost a promising young guard, Mjracle Sheppard, in the process. If you're going to recruit over players, you better land the recruit. And, honestly, even if he had landed HVL, I'm not sure she was worth losing a young player when HVL would only play one season.

I guess there are still players our there, so maybe Purcell can salvage this offseason. This whole NIL/portal thing is so new and unprecedented that many coaches really have no idea what they are doing.
I honestly can't figure out what's going on at Mississippi State. They looked so good when they beat LSU and then had such an awful collapse to end the season. I think they had some injuries but it seemed bigger than that. I haven't heard anything about any specific internal issues, but you have to wonder (players giving up on the coach? A player who is a locker room cancer? An inability to handle success? I don't know), But I'll be very curious to see how they do this year.

The Coast is Clear

Joined Nov 27, 2019 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 25, 2022
I absolutely agree! Compared to the soap operas going at some other places, our lives seem to be almost boring!

Then again, to me it almost feels a bit too earlier to be giddy about the future potential of our players for the next 2, 3 and even 4 years to come. This tweeter is 100% correct:

This season seems so unbelievable, so unreal, it will take a while to really sink in what this team has accomplished!

Boyer's T-shirt is great! -- "Gucci I Love You" Ha!

PFUNK Cock

Joined Mar 28, 2004 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
7 freshman is insane, 6 of which is ranked top 100. They literally only have a spot for only 1 player next season
See Portal activity before your last comment 🤷‍♂️. They are going to be very good .

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
Rumors are Kiki Irifian to USC. That will be 8 newcomers to the roster. That’s a lot!
Other rumors I’ve seen:

Talia Von Oelhoffen - Louisville (just announced in her final 4)
Tamia Gardiner - Notre Dame

Besides fanboy speculation haven’t seen any real news or gossip on Beers

Last edited:

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Talent around the league: Bad news? Good News?

Recruiting
The 23-24 Hoopgurlz 💯 saw the league bring in 25 players including 7 five *****

The 24-25 hoopgurlz 100 saw the league bring in just 15 including 5 five stars

The 25-26 top 60 has 20 recruits within the SEC footprint BUT 11 of those are from TX and OK.
The league may not be able to pull out of region.

We have signed 5 of the 12 five ***** recruits
LSU 2 and UF 2, Bama, Vandy, Ark one apiece. We are competitive nationally for 5 stars, it’s the next tier where the league falters.

Portal

Last season The league brought in gobs more talent than talent that left the league.

Still early for this year but it appears the league will probably have a net loss on talent.

X Factors

TX and Okla come into the league. Texas will be the second most talented roster in the league. OK won the Big 12 last season

New coaches at UK and Tennessee. Brooks looks like he is going to make it happen at UK. The buzz and results are there but he literally is starting from ground zero. Tennessee is a grand experiment 🤷‍♂️

What does it all mean for us?

Best roster in the league! Only Texas maybe LSU is close. We repeat but maybe not undefeated. Cardoso was such a unicorn with her size

Last edited:

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Talent around the league: Bad news? Good News?

Recruiting
The 23-24 Hoopgurlz 💯 saw the league bring in 25 players including 7 five *****

The 24-25 hoopgurlz 100 saw the league bring in just 15 including 5 five stars

The 25-26 top 60 has 20 recruits within the SEC footprint BUT 11 of those are from TX and OK.
The league may not be able to pull out of region.

We have signed 5 of the 12 five ***** recruits
LSU 2 and UF 2, Bama, Vandy, Ark one apiece. We are competitive nationally for 5 stars, it’s the next tier where the league falters.

Portal

Last season The league brought in gobs more talent than talent that left the league.

Still early for this year but it appears the league will probably have a net loss on talent.

X Factors

TX and Okla come into the league. Texas will be the second most talented roster in the league. OK won the Big 12 last season

New coaches at UK and Tennessee. Brooks looks like he is going to make it happen at UK. The buzz and results are there but he literally is starting from ground zero. Tennessee is a grand experiment 🤷‍♂️

What does it all mean for us?

Best roster in the league! Only Texas maybe LSU is close. We repeat but maybe not undefeated. Cardoso was such a unicorn with her size
My guess is every SEC school will play each other once this coming season.

100% guarantee we'll have go to Texas. But LSU should come here.

Road games:
Bama
Georgia
MS State
Vandy
Ole Miss
Tenn
Texas or OU

Kentucky TBD

What OCC games do we know besides UCONN at home and Clemson on the road?

Do you think Dawn will take the team to SoCal for Paopao?

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
My guess is every SEC school will play each other once this coming season.

100% guarantee we'll have go to Texas. But LSU should come here.

Road games:
Bama
Georgia
MS State
Vandy
Ole Miss
Tenn
Texas or OU

Kentucky TBD

What OCC games do we know besides UCONN at home and Clemson on the road?

Do you think Dawn will take the team to SoCal for Paopao?
We are already scheduled to play at UCLA and I imagine Dawn will want to pick up a second game.

We will play every team once with our permanent X2 opponent being UK.

WBB NEXT YEAR
@ UCLA
@Maryland
@Clemson
Duke
UConn
Bowling Green
East Carolina
ACC Challenge
NCSU @ Charlotte

Possibles??
Stanford or other west coast team when we play UCLA
S. Dakota St
HBCU

Reactions: DarkCock

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
We are already scheduled to play at UCLA and I imagine Dawn will want to pick up a second game.

We will play every team once with our permanent X2 opponent being UK.

WBB NEXT YEAR
@ UCLA
@Maryland
@Clemson
Duke
UConn
Bowling Green
East Carolina
ACC Challenge
NCSU @ Charlotte

Possibles??
Stanford or other west coast team when we play UCLA
S. Dakota St
HBCU
Don't we usually play Duke every other year?

Notre Dame is looking like a possibility for the ACC challenge. You know ESPN would love that matchup.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Just how complete a team were we this past season?

#1 Defensive FG shooting% 32.3
#1 Blocks per game 7.8
#23 Points allowed per game 56.6 BUT #2 among P6 Schools ALSO top 3 in points allowed per 100 possessions. This gets rid of a lot of bias that rewards teams that play at a slow pace
#4 FG Shooting % 49.22
#3 Three Pt shooting % 39.53
#3 Scoring per game 85.4
#3 Rebounding Margin 12.6
#10 Assists to turnover ratio
#13 assists per game 18.5
#1 Scoring Margin 28.9

The only thing we really stunk at was free throw % #258 at 68%

Excellence on Offense, Defense and the Boards. Team over individual every step of the way

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022

#1 Blocks per game 7.8
#23 Points allowed per game 56.6 BUT #2 among P6 Schools
#4 FG Shooting % 49.22
#3 Scoring per game 85.4
#1 Scoring Margin 28.9

Excellence on Offense, Defense and the Boards. Team over individual every step of the way
The way things are going in college sports, I wonder how much longer we'll be able to sell the one for all approach, even in the face of its clear supremacy.

Reactions: germangamecock

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022

#1 Blocks per game 7.8
#4 FG Shooting % 49.22
#3 Scoring per game 85.4
#1 Scoring Margin 28.9

#1 Blocks per game 7.8
#4 FG Shooting % 49.22
#3 Scoring per game 85.4
#1 Scoring Margin 28.9

It was obvious to me before the season started that this team was special....even better than last year's squad. After I watched the scrimmage vs Rutgers I predicted another title. We will be in the Final Four again next year along with Southern Cal and UConn. Hard to speculate on the fourth team until after all the rosters are set....

Apr 5, 2022
The way things are going in college sports, I wonder how much longer we'll be able to sell the one for all approach, even in the face of its clear supremacy.

That is a fair question. It is something I would have asked myself already 20 years ago when I was in college. With NIL and the transfer portal this question looms even larger.

The fact, that this this season happened is proof that it can still be done. I think it really goes back many years. The Dawn Staley way of doing this showed when A'ja and Alaina came off the bench the entire 14-15 season. You don't need to be a starter and still can become the biggest star in the entire game.

One thing where the narrative would need to shift though is productivity per 40 minutes or per x posessions. We clearly have a few all-americans on our roster when looking at productivity rather than just total stats. That's also the same issue brought up by Becky Hammon when A'ja didn't win MVP last season. In her mind, A'ja got punished because she didn't play her more minutes. It's a worthy conversation to keep having. Not sure how fruitful it will be though....

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022

That is a fair question. It is something I would have asked myself already 20 years ago when I was in college. With NIL and the transfer portal this question looms even larger.

The fact, that this this season happened is proof that it can still be done. I think it really goes back many years. The Dawn Staley way of doing this showed when A'ja and Alaina came off the bench the entire 14-15 season. You don't need to be a starter and still can become the biggest star in the entire game.

One thing where the narrative would need to shift though is productivity per 40 minutes or per x posessions. We clearly have a few all-americans on our roster when looking at productivity rather than just total stats. That's also the same issue brought up by Becky Hammon when A'ja didn't win MVP last season. In her mind, A'ja got punished because she didn't play her more minutes. It's a worthy conversation to keep having. Not sure how fruitful it will be though....
I think y’all worry a little too much about “teams” and team play disappearing. UK and Cal are the quintessential example that individuals and individual excellence alone do not win titles.

Of the elite 8 this year in WBB, 6 were teams that had cohesive styles and teamwork. Of the other two, LSU actually was a solid team style of play, they just did not have a PG or true center and were emotionally dysfunctional. That is on Mulkey not the players. USCw was individually oriented simply because they had the least talent. I expect to see a lot more sharing next season.

I can’t emphasize enough how I feel Dawn’s Olympic Experience as player and coach influences her style. She started and came off the bench. She saw Tara VanDever daily humiliate Rebecca Lobo for almost a year and she NEVER does that to players. She saw great players sit one night and Star the next night. Hell she did not start A’ja and Breanna Stewart every game in the Olympics. The two best players in the world!

At some point Rings equate with greatness. This is true in college not just pros.

B.Cocky

Feb 1, 2022
I’ve followed Milaysia and Joyce thru their high school careers the last few year now that they are gamecocks, who’s the next great from the state? I’ve seen Hannah Riles ‘29 get a lot of attention lately most recently a big shout out from Ja Morant, y’all help me out what other names should I be keeping an eye on?

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I think y’all worry a little too much about “teams” and team play disappearing...
I sense that venality is ever-increasing in college sports. To me, that works against the team concept. But I certainly hope your vision proves clearer than mine. I don't mind being incorrect if the program flourishes.

Reactions: germangamecock

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
I sense that venality is ever-increasing in college sports. To me, that works against the team concept. But I certainly hope your vision proves clearer than mine. I don't mind being incorrect if the program flourishes.
I would argue venality is on the decrease in college sports. Venality is about corruption behind closed doors.

What we have happening is capitalism at its worst. But it is right out there in the open. No regulation or boundaries. It still has negative consequences but it reveals the harsh truth that college athletics at least for the last 60 years has been a transactional quid pro quo. Now the athletes get to be openly at the table negotiating their value

• Love
Reactions: PFUNK Cock

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022

#1 Blocks per game 7.8
#23 Points allowed per game 56.6 BUT #2 among P6 Schools ALSO top 3 in points allowed per 100 possessions. This gets rid of a lot of bias that rewards teams that play at a slow pace
#4 FG Shooting % 49.22
#3 Scoring per game 85.4
#1 Scoring Margin 28.9

I posted earlier that Ashlyn Watkins finished 1st in defensive rating among players who played the entire season. We had another player finish top 10 in defensive rating, Milaysia Fulwiley. She developed into a terrific on-ball defender by the end of the season. Just ridiculous that neither made the SEC All-Defensive team.

A lot of the discussion around all the media attention Caitlin Clark receives is because of her race, while that plays a part, I think the bigger factor is "offense sells tickets" (and jersies). Defense never gets the recognition it deserves. It's always been that way.

Oh well. 38-0 and a national championship is the recognition that matters.

PFUNK Cock

Joined Mar 28, 2004 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
I posted earlier that Ashlyn Watkins finished 1st in defensive rating among players who played the entire season. We had another player finish top 10 in defensive rating, Milaysia Fulwiley. She developed into a terrific on-ball defender by the end of the season. Just ridiculous that neither made the SEC All-Defensive team.

A lot of the discussion around all the media attention Caitlin Clark receives is because of her race, while that plays a part, I think the bigger factor is "offense sells tickets" (and jersies). Defense never gets the recognition it deserves. It's always been that way.

Race plays a large part of it but that’s okay. As long as it brings attention, fans and endorsements to women’s basketball as a whole, I am loving it. I am definitely not knocking her talent but playing Iowa and knocking off the Gamecocks in the final 4 elevated her status and got people watching who otherwise wouldn’t give wbb the time of day.

Whiterockcock69

Joined Sep 12, 2010
Jan 31, 2022

Just looking at your post and think of other various offensive and defensive ratings, it makes me think that there needs to be a change to more sophisticated or less simple metrics used to evaluate players for awards. This should especially be true for coaches awards but also for press organizations who vote on these awards.

As the calculations of these more nuanced and informative real measures should be made public and shared. This would take away the rewards for volume shooting and playing 37 minutes a game, and reward quality rather than quantity.