2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Vols signed 3 decent transfers from Miami, Clemmers, and Syracuse. I guess they're wanting to become a middle of the pack ACC team
Actually 4
2 guards who are double digit scorers
2 forwards who rebound well and play very good D.
None are a top notch player, BUT having all 4 will give UT enough athletic players to implement Caldwell’s style of play. Not necessarily for 40 minutes, but for long enough periods so that it is their style of play. This will help in recruiting.

Even with the new players they will struggle to reach 8-8 in league. A definite possibility they do not make NCAA TOURNAMENT this upcoming season.

GarnetGhost

Joined Apr 22, 2014
Jan 18, 2022
Vol Nation's response to Bluder's retirement was to speculate if some Iowa players would enter the portal that they could pick up. They've been begging Whitehorn to commit to them for the last month. It is hilarious watching them drool over other school's players. My how the mighty have fallen. 😂😂😂

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Actually 4
2 guards who are double digit scorers
2 forwards who rebound well and play very good D.
None are a top notch player, BUT having all 4 will give UT enough athletic players to implement Caldwell’s style of play. Not necessarily for 40 minutes, but for long enough periods so that it is their style of play. This will help in recruiting.

Even with the new players they will struggle to reach 8-8 in league. A definite possibility they do not make NCAA TOURNAMENT this upcoming season.
Most important for them is that only 1 will be a senior. They had to add players with more than one year of eligibility because it's 2025-26 when the Vols look to bottom out. They had only 3 or 4 scholarship players returning that season without these new additions. They'll still need to hit the portal hard again next season. Of course, it's essential for her long term success that Caldwell brings in high school talent. Something Harper completely failed at.

Reactions: winloseortie

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Most important for them is that only 1 will be a senior. They had to add players with more than one year of eligibility because it's 2025-26 when the Vols look to bottom out. They had only 3 or 4 scholarship players returning that season without these new additions. They'll still need to hit the portal hard again next season. Of course, it's essential for her long term success that Caldwell brings in high school talent. Something Harper completely failed at.
So correct! There roster for 24-25 stands at 12 with 6 of them being seniors with no extra years.
25-26 roster is 6 players and she behind the curve on the upcoming recruiting cycle.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Interest television ratings case study over the next few weeks as Indiana Fever games compete with the NBA Playoffs for eyeballs. I am not as big a fan of Women's basketball as most on this thread. So, I will be watching the NBA Playoffs, but I will be checking in on early season WNBA games for the first time. Both leagues will get an early picture as to what the Caitlin Clark effect means as we move forward.

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
No LSU on the list! I guess Mulkey thinks that the portal is the way to go. She has a good nucleus returning with Johnson, Williams and Morrow but it will be hard to create a dynasty with this philosophy imo....

Not unusual to have a down class after having the #1 class. Throw in the drama and dysfunction of their season and it’s no surprise top talent stayed away in no droves.

Mulkey for all her success is a year away from turning into Brenda Frese and Kellie Harper in becoming a portal dependent recruiter. Whiff again and you are 5 years in row assembling your team through the portal.

The crappy thing she did in recruiting and portal this year I think is going to bite them in the a$$. They are pretty well set at all positions except PG.

They have Poa returning at that position. Why would she stay for a 5th year year if she didn’t think the position was her’s?

They recruited Jada Richards to the PG position. I’m sure the pitch had to include, “You are our future here.”

Then they recruited 3!!! PGs in the portal.

Day-Wilson, her third school in 3 years

Kailyn Gilbert who quit/got kicked off the Arizona team and has publicly stated “I don’t play defense.”

Mjracle Shephard who left Miss St after her Fr year because she was not getting enough PT.

Five players competing for one spot. Going to be 4 really unhappy players. ANDThey will not be stealing minutes from Morrow, Flau’jae or Mikalay Williams. More drama coming

Last edited:

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Not unusual to have a down class after having the #1

Five players competing for one spot. Going to be 4 really unhappy players. ANDThey will not be stealing minutes from Morrow, Flau’jae or Mikalay Williams. More drama coming
I believe each of these players are likely playing 30+ minutes a game. Then I also believe Del Rosario and Smith if healthy will play the majority of the minutes at the 5. That would mean the other 8 players will have to fight for scraps and the PG minutes.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
I believe each of these players are likely playing 30+ minutes a game. Then I also believe Del Rosario and Smith if healthy will play the majority of the minutes at the 5. That would mean the other 8 players will have to fight for scraps and the PG minutes.
I believe she can keep that roster happy in OOC with her regular 💩💩schedule. Enough minutes for everyone in a rout. But big games and SEC….????

Smith, Morrow and Del Rosario will eat up all the minutes at the 4&5. Williams and Johnson deserve and will be needed for 30+ minutes at the 2&3.

And what in the world are they going to do with 6’5” Wolfenbarger who insists she is a perimeter player

Reactions: Goody

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I believe she can keep that roster happy in OOC with her regular 💩💩schedule. Enough minutes for everyone in a rout. But big games and SEC….????

Smith, Morrow and Del Rosario will eat up all the minutes at the 4&5. Williams and Johnson deserve and will be needed for 30+ minutes at the 2&3.

And what in the world are they going to do with 6’5” Wolfenbarger who insists she is a perimeter player
Wolfenberger for PG problem solved. Lol.

I do feel bad for her though. A late growth spurt and she was forced out of being a guard but doesn't have the same instincts as other players her size who learned the sport strictly as a post.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
SEC WBB Schedule for next season. We
double up with Texas

Away

@Miss St
@Tenn
@ Vandy
@ OM
@uga
@Bama
@MizzOU
@texas

Home
Texas
UK
UF
LSU
Aub
A&M
Okla
Ark
I guaranteed early in this thread we would go to Texas. The SEC one upped by having us play twice! I assume that's one year only. Texas has much more natural rivals in A&M and OU. I guess the home-and-home opponent will change each season.

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
Joyce Edwards and Madisen McDaniel flew out today to Colorado Springs for U18 tryouts. Tryouts start Wednesday 15th through Sunday 19th. Team should be announced Sunday, although in the past it has not always been the full 12 player roster.
So I just saw on Facebook that Joyce was at the Camden high academic banquet last night. Wonder if she flew out after?

debordieu cock

Joined Jun 2, 2000
Jan 20, 2022
It looks like somebody at T-Mobile Arena messed up and posted the matchup before it was announced. Per that website it will be a November 4 double-header with the USC/Michigan women and Texas/Ohio State men. There is a link to buy tickets.
I wonder why we would not be playing Southern Cal? What a matchup that would be to start the season off. Who knows? Maybe they are scared of playing the National Champs!!

Last edited:
Reactions: CockyGirl

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
So…….
Reigning finals MVP and DPOY and runner up MVP race, A’ja had 30 pts 13 rebs 5 assists 3 blocks 1 to
In Aces opening night victory

Alyssa Thomas has triple double in 21 point victory over Indiana Fever 13 pts 10 reb 13 assists

Caitlin Clark sets WNBA record for most turnovers 10 in your first game. 20 pts on 5-15 shooting 0 rebs 3 assists and 4 fouls in 21 point LOSS

Lead story on WNBA EVERYWHERE

CAITLIN CLARK SCORES 20 IN OPENER

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
How does Aliyah only score 4 points? Yowza. The Fever have some work to do.
I watched most of the game. The Fever did not appear to be very well coached imo. Clark is a talent, but watching the game, you could see the difference in the workmanlike seasoned pros playing against her. She is going to have to find the right balance between her wide-open ‘College’ style and playing in a more professionally controlled manner or the next record she breaks will be for Turnovers in a season.

Also, the constant whining has got to stop.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Starting to drink the Kool aid in Knoxville.. I enjoy this podcast and it generally very good, but the latest episode was laughable. In the first minute they declare that with the addition of Ruby Whitehorn, TENNESSEE has far and away the most athletic roster in the SEC🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Two things Aliyah isn't being aggressive I believe she's being too selfless at times in attempt to be a team player. Secondly they aren't making her a priority, I will give Clark credit for attempting to look her way but they aren't in synched yet so her passes to her often let to turnovers. But overall when she's open or have a favorable matchup no one is looking her way unless it's a last resort.

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
UT lost the two players on their roster that were thorns for the Gamecocks - Rickea and Key. RJ for scoring and her ability to create her own shot and TK for her size in the paint whenever the game with Vols was in the halfcourt . After RJ's departure (and all due respect to Jewel Spear) they don't have one player on that team that would start for SC next season including Kitts or Feagin at the 4 ... though I have a sorta feeling that JE might start next year at that spot, and still, even then.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
I watched a portion of the game. Alternating between that and the NBA Playoff game. Boston was trying to be unselfish to a fault. Clark would pass Boston the ball off the pick and roll and Boston would pass it right back. Boston is a pleaser. She knows the crowd wants Clark to play well. However, Boston needs to be more aggressive for that team to win. Only 6 shots from your post player is not going to cut it.

Last edited:

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Two things Aliyah isn't being aggressive I believe she's being too selfless at times in attempt to be a team player. Secondly they aren't making her a priority, I will give Clark credit for attempting to look her way but they aren't in synched yet so her passes to her often let to turnovers. But overall when she's open or have a favorable matchup no one is looking her way unless it's a last resort.
LOL. I hadn't read your post yet before I responded. We got virtually the same vibe out of this game.

PFUNK Cock

Joined Mar 28, 2004 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Smith is one of the problems with the team. She is the veteran and takes far too many shots without sharing the ball. Boston grew up in a team oriented environment where sharing the ball to get the best scorings opportunities is at the forefront but not all college players that come into the league understand that concept. They need a better head coach.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Smith is one of the problems with the team. She is the veteran and takes far too many shots without sharing the ball. Boston grew up in a team oriented environment where sharing the ball to get the best scorings opportunities is at the forefront but not all college players that come into the league understand that concept. They need a better head coach.
I think it is a little quick to question the coach after 1 game. Smith is the veteran, but has been only in the league for two years. That team and coach needs to be given some grace to learn and get beat around a little bit. As Boston found out, Clark will find out that you don't just step on an WNBA floor and dominate just because you did that in college. Everyone called Diana Taurasi a hater, but I thought she gave the best advice of anyone regarding Clark coming into the league. Connecticut is a very experienced team with an experienced coach. Thomas is an MVP candidate and 10 Year Veteran. Bonner has been in the league 15 years, still in shape and still a very good player. Ty Harris appears to have become a knock down shooter. They are probably going to be a Top 4 team in the league. Hopefully, the Clark fans won't get too impatient because they are probably going to take another beatdown in New York tomorrow. It's a process.

PFUNK Cock

Joined Mar 28, 2004 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
I think it is a little quick to question the coach after 1 game. Smith is the veteran, but has been only in the league for two years. That team and coach needs to be given some grace to learn and get beat around a little bit. As Boston found out, Clark will find out that you don't just step on an WNBA floor and dominate just because you did that in college. Everyone called Diana Taurasi a hater, but I thought she gave the best advice of anyone regarding Clark coming into the league. Connecticut is a very experienced team with an experienced coach. Thomas is an MVP candidate and 10 Year Veteran. Bonner has been in the league 15 years, still in shape and still a very good player. Ty Harris appears to have become a knock down shooter. They are probably going to be a Top 4 team in the league. Hopefully, the Clark fans won't get too impatient because they are probably going to take another beatdown in New York tomorrow. It's a process.
Same coach and same problems. She would be better served to allow Clark to blend in instead of running the offense through her. Wheeler is a good PG with experience. Every team will put the best wing defender on Clark just like Connecticut did last night. She was totally frustrated most of the night. It was worse when they had Smith and Egbo who both played for Mulkey at Baylor. No semblance of team basketball has been displayed

Gamecock Lincoln

Joined Nov 10, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022
Janiah Barker updates? Rumors? @CockyGirl you know anything?
Curious as well. What about Maryam Dauda. Apparently we were one of the schools that reached out when she entered the portal. I saw where Dawn tweeted that she couldn't attend the SB tournament this weekend because of recruiting duties. Do you think we might be hosting anyone?

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Same coach and same problems. She would be better served to allow Clark to blend in instead of running the offense through her. Wheeler is a good PG with experience. Every team will put the best wing defender on Clark just like Connecticut did last night. She was totally frustrated most of the night. It was worse when they had Smith and Egbo who both played for Mulkey at Baylor. No semblance of team basketball has been displayed
You are right, but Sides is getting raked over the coals on social media by Clark fans for not catering the offense to her enough. Many of them expect this to be Iowa all over again. I don't think they care if the Fever wins. They just want to see Clark get a 30 point Triple-Double and make a couple logo threes. I am starting to hope that Boston gets traded. I don't know if this is a good situation for her moving forward.

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
Janiah Barker updates? Rumors? @CockyGirl you know anything?
She is a mystery! All I have gathered is she is not interested in LSU and they say they are done in the portal.

Speculations had her headed to an LA school as she dates a major influencer that lives there but I would think there is no more room at both UCLA and USC.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Curious as well. What about Maryam Dauda. Apparently we were one of the schools that reached out when she entered the portal. I saw where Dawn tweeted that she couldn't attend the SB tournament this weekend because of recruiting duties. Do you think we might be hosting anyone?
Totally clueless. What and where is the SB Tournament? Last year she made several trips to the West Coast during May. Generally once June rolls around You have HS underclass players doing unofficials here in Columbia.

2025 is going to be a heavy traveling year for the staff recruiting wise, of the 30 or so 5* uncommitted players 1 from Florida, Prawl and she has an offer. 1 from Kentucky,Johnson and she has an offer. 1 from Virginia decommitted from UT. 1 from Tennessee who I do not think we have offered. No real in the neighborhood or just up the road talent this cycle.

Reactions: Cockburn

Gamecock Lincoln

Joined Nov 10, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022
Totally clueless. What and where is the SB Tournament? Last year she made several trips to the West Coast during May. Generally once June rolls around You have HS underclass players doing unofficials here in Columbia.

2025 is going to be a heavy traveling year for the staff recruiting wise, of the 30 or so 5* uncommitted players 1 from Florida, Prawl and she has an offer. 1 from Kentucky,Johnson and she has an offer. 1 from Virginia decommitted from UT. 1 from Tennessee who I do not think we have offered. No real in the neighborhood or just up the road talent this cycle.
Gamecocks Softball NCAA Tournament. We're in the Durham Region and start play tomorrow at noon..