2024 B1G Tourney Session III Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I'm setting this up two days before the Session, so that everyone knows the plans, has the links, etc.

Please use the thread for all pre-session, in-session, and post-session discussion for the 2024 B1G Wrestling Tournament.

When:
March 10, 12:00 pm EDT

Where:
Xfinity Center, College Park, MD

Action:
This will be the Consolation Semis, and the 7th place matches

TV:
None

Video Streaming:
For subscribers, you can stream it via B1G+.

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. The pre-Session portion of the broadcast will begin at 11:40 pm EDT, with the actual PBP of the matches taking place at 12:00 pm EDT. You can access the audio stream at:

Team Scoring:
The best place to track the team scoring is the Penn State Wrestling Club web site. The link for the team scoring is:

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org

PBP:
I plan to be available for PBP. If there are multiple matches involving PSUers, I'll ask folks to cover the one I'm not doing. Hopefully, several of you will also step forward and provide some PBP, or some analysis, or some comments on each match. As always, I remind you to please include the score for the match in your posts, or provide some context (wrestler, school, and weight class) beyond just "that's not a takedown." It also helps to give folks a heads up as to what mat a PSU wrestler will be wrestling on. You can usually get that info from Ironhead's audio PBP, from Penn State Wrestling's twitter account, or from TrackWrestling.

Last edited:

bohucon

Oct 31, 2021
I'm setting this up two days before the Session, so that everyone knows the plans, has the links, etc.

Please use the thread for all pre-session, in-session, and post-session discussion for the 2024 B1G Wrestling Tournament.

When:
March 5, 12:00 pm EDT

Where:
Xfinity Center, College Park, MD

Action:
This will be the Consolation Semis, and the 7th place matches

TV:
None

Video Streaming:
For subscribers, you can stream it via B1G+.

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. The pre-Session portion of the broadcast will begin at 11:40 pm EDT, with the actual PBP of the matches taking place at 12:00 pm EDT. You can access the audio stream at:

Team Scoring:
The best place to track the team scoring is the Penn State Wrestling Club web site. The link for the team scoring is:

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org

PBP:
I plan to be available for PBP. If there are multiple matches involving PSUers, I'll ask folks to cover the one I'm not doing. Hopefully, several of you will also step forward and provide some PBP, or some analysis, or some comments on each match. As always, I remind you to please include the score for the match in your posts, or provide some context (wrestler, school, and weight class) beyond just "that's not a takedown." It also helps to give folks a heads up as to what mat a PSU wrestler will be wrestling on. You can usually get that info from Ironhead's audio PBP, from Penn State Wrestling's twitter account, or from TrackWrestling.
Tom,

Check your date ...time is correct. Thanks

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Team scores after Session II:

PSU - 136.0
Michigan - 105.5
Nebraska - 89.0
Iowa - 88.5
Ohio State - 78.5
Rutgers - 71.5
Minnesota - 66.0
Wisconsin - 43.0
Purdue - 36.0
Maryland - 31.0
Indiana - 29.0
Illinois - 28.0
MSU - 19.5
Northwestern - 14.5

Reactions: BobPSU92 and Garw

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Did anyone happen to catch Kerkvliet’s weight yesterday? I was tied up during both of his matches.

BigBankFrank

May 24, 2022
Byers with some interesting comments about Carter. Cael stating Carter was not happy about not being able to wrestle yesterday and the tweet from Carter stating he’s done with his career. Hoping he’s at nationals.

• Wow
Reactions: DC89 and JBott

Jason1743

Oct 20, 2021
Byers with some interesting comments about Carter. Cael stating Carter was not happy about not being able to wrestle yesterday and the tweet from Carter stating he’s done with his career. Hoping he’s at nationals.
I have absolutely no information, but it makes zero sense to me that Starocci would show up for his injury default if he thought his career was over. The only reason to take an injury default is to wrestle at Nationals.

Reactions: JBott and bohucon

Chris92

Oct 14, 2021
His cryptic tweet never said "he's done." Plenty of time to get things calmed down and back to "seek and destroy" mode.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Consolation Semis

133: #5 Aaron Nagao vs. #7 Braxton Brown (Mary.) -- I'll use BB

Per 1.
Nagao in early, but stoppage for PD. Brown in on a single, they scramble, Nagao in good position but Brown has an ankle, and stoppage for a stalemate with 1:54 left. Nagao shoots, blocked. Nagao in and gets behind for the late TD, 3-0. End.

Per 2
BB takes bottom. Nagao tilts him and is getting swipes. 4 NF makes it 7-0. Technical violation on Nagao makes it 7-1 with 1:27 left. Caution on Nagao. Brown working up, brought back down. RT goes over 1 min. BB working for a rev, as they go OOB -- esc awarded, 7-2. End. RT @ 1:41 for Nagao

Per 3
Nagao takes neutral. Nagao working the head a bit. BB in with a double and gets the TD, 7-5. Nagao with a quick esc, 8-5. Nagao snaps down and tries to get behind, but they go OOB, with 37 sec left. Nagao working a front headlock. They scramble, and go OOB with 2 sec left. Caution on BB. End. With 1:37 in RT, it's a 9-5 DEC for Nagao.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Teske with some wild matches this tournament.

Oh man Iowa fans gonna be big mad.

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Any poster have a favorite at 149- Nebraska's number 1 seed Lovett vs. Michigan's Gomez? Had our injured wrestler Van Ness wrestled them in prior years?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Consolation Semis

149: #4 Tyler Kasak vs. #3 Caleb Rathjen (Iowa) -- I'll use CR

Interesting note: they both have 15-4 records on the season.

Per 1
Not much thru first minute. Kasak shoots but can't finish. Kasak in on a double, and gets the TD, 3-0. He quickly flattens CR, and has a nice ride going. RT goes over 1 min. Stall warning on CR. Stall warning on Kasak in the last 10 sec. CR to his feet, and returned. End. RT @ 1:47 for Kasak

Per 2
CR takes bottom. RT goes over 2 min. CR to his feet and he's out, 3-1. CR shoots, Kasak counters, nothing. CR shoots, but Kasak skips out of it. End. RT @ 2:14 for Kasak

Per 3
Kasak takes bottom. He works up and is out in 7 sec, 4-1. Kasak working the head for a bit. Ear-to-ear, then not. Kasak with a throw-by, nothing. Kasak shoots, nothing. OOB with 46 sec left. RT is locked. CR shoots, Kasak counters and gets the TD, 7-1. End. With 2:31 in RT, it's an 8-1 DEC for Kasak!

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Did Teske lose!

Yeah but it’s how. Nebraska had to challenge to get a call overturned to force SV. Then they awarded Teske a TD that Nebraska challenged in SV that was reversed and a TD given to Van Dee.

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Jason1743 has a great point! Why would Carter take an injury default if his career was over-he could have chose not to go to MD.. Carter maybe upset-but who on this website doubts that Cael was right. 5, 10 years from now we may not remember who did, did not win the Big 10s but we WILL remember who were national champs and if Aaron and Carter were first teammates to win 4 championships the same year-that will be a top item in NCAA wrestling history books.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Guys, he was already there and thought he was wrestling. He was pissed, but did the team thing. There's no reason to be there any more in his mind so he went home and is still mad. Cael will talk to him when they get back. No one knows how it will go though

Latest posts