2024 NCAA Championship Session I Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I've got a hectic schedule today, so I'm setting this up now so that everyone knows the plans, has the links, etc.

Please use the thread for all pre-session, in-session, and post-session discussion for the Session I of the 2024 NCAA Championships.

When:
March 21, 12:00 pm EDT

Where:
T-Mobile Center, Kansas City, MO

TV:
ESPNU

Video Streaming:
ESPN+. Please note that this is the only way to get access to multiple mats. In past years, this was offered on ESPN3 (free to those that were ESPN subscribers), but last year ESPN switched MatCast to ESPN+, which is a subscription service.

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. The pre-Session portion of the broadcast will begin at 11:40 am EDT, with the actual PBP of the matches taking place at 12:00 pm EDT. You can access the audio stream at:

Team Scoring:
The best place to track the team scoring is the Penn State Wrestling Club web site. The link for the team scoring is:

PBP:
I'll be available for PBP for the entire session. @GregPickel will also be in the thread helping with PBP. Hopefully, several of you will also step forward and provide some analysis, or some comments on each match. As always, I remind you to please include the score for the match, or provide some context (wrestler, school, and weight class) beyond just "that's not a takedown." It also helps to give folks a heads up as to what mat a PSU wrestler will be wrestling on. You can usually get that info from Ironhead's audio PBP, from Penn State Wrestling's twitter account, or from TrackWrestling.

Let's have some fun in Session I, and also over the coming days.

Last edited:

gimb14

May 3, 2022
When will Davis actually wrestle? I know they do the 32v33 pigtails first and those guys get a short break. I feel like it's usually during 149 or 157.

ClarkstonMark

Oct 12, 2021
When will Davis actually wrestle? I know they do the 32v33 pigtails first and those guys get a short break. I feel like it's usually during 149 or 157.
30-60 minutes after the 125 32v33 match is over (I can't remember the exact rest time required)

Reactions: gimb14

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021

train deal with it GIF

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Funny gronky- I never binge ate in my life except after cutting weight in high school wrestling. I would obsess on food while cutting weight and gain several pounds in the 24 hours after matches. I hope wrestlers now lose weight much more scientifically than I did in the 1960s. Fortunately, after wrestling season was over I could go back to regular eating.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Knowing how much wrestlers sacrifice, especially from a dietary perspective, it is wrong that I'm planning on eating pizza & nachos, along with a few adult beverages, while watching the tournament??

I don't think I am gonna make weight today, either.

• Haha
Reactions: Gronky and SRATH

scocha409

Nov 1, 2021
There is an excellent site that shows the team scoring almost live, it may be associated with the NLWC, could someone direct me to the link. Thanks in advance! WEARE

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Track has the 1st 3 matches on the 8 mats. Davis isn't listed, as he has to wait for winner of the piglet match to have the required break time. And Nagao isn't listed, as the piglets and 125 take up all of the 3-deep assignments on the 8 mats.

Reactions: bohucon

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Good old LionVision with the:

"This video is not available on your platform." message for Byers. smh

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Bracket change: They are now running a 32-man bracket at 141 due to guys not weighing in. So, Beau Bartlett now faces No. 31 seed Kal Miller of Maryland in Round 1.