2024 NCAA Championship Session V Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
149 Consolation Semifinal:
#7 seed Tyler Kasak vs. #1 seed Ridge Lovett (Nebraska) -- I'll use RL

Tough match for Kasak. Win, and he wrestles for 3rd. Lose, and he'll wrestle for 5th

Per 1
Kasak in on a single and gets an early TD, 3-0. RL trying to get a reversal, crazy scramble, and they go OOB with the esc awarded, 3-1. 1:49 left. And a challenge brick is thrown by Nebraska. They think he got the reversal. Call is confirmed. Kasak shoots, nothing. Kasak in on a single, elevates the leg, and trips RL to the mat, 6-1. They go OOB. Caution on Kasak on the restart. RL works up, back down. RL up to his feet again, nearly out, but they go OOB with 1:24 left. RT over 1 min. RL works up, Kaska returns him. End. RT @ 1:39 for Kasak

Per 2
Kasak takes neutral. RL with an eye poke, so there's a stoppage. RL tries to shoot, Kasak counters, they scramble, then Kasak in on a single to a double for the TD, 9-1. Wow. OOB. On the restart, RT goes over 2 min for Kasak. RL to a 3-pt stance, returned. End. RT @ 2:39 for Kasak

Per 3
RL takes neutral. They both are active, but no scores. OOB with 1:14 left. RT is locked. 30 sec left. Stall warning on Kasak with @ 15 sec left. RL reaches, nothing. End. With 2:39 in RT, it's a 10-1 MAJ for Kasak over #1 seed Ridge Lovett

Wow

He'll wrestle for 3rd place

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I don't know what TK was doing in that first match but man if he had wrestled that first match like he has the others he might be a finalist. Currently up 6-1 on Lovett.
He was a 19 yo true freshman wrestling on the big stage for the first time. His seeding, quite honestly stunk. His first opponent was a redshirt senior with a massive pedigree and boatloads of experience on this stage including All-American status. On top of that, he thought he was winning his side of the bracket and avenging his losses to Lovett in the finals. The first match was a wake up call. He is on point now and avenged that loss. Finishing top 4 as a true freshman is nothing to sneeze at. People forget that Zain got fifth his true freshman year. He then redshirted and came back a completely different animal. Tyler will be just fine.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
This kind of stuff is what drives fans of other teams absolutely bonkers. Our stud 149lber who took 3rd last year tears his knee at the beginning of the season and a TRFR backup has to step in only to generate tons of team points and will finish no lower than 4th with a great shot at 3rd. Kasak can match I think what SVN scored last year and if he finishes third with his bonus may even outscore the 2023 SVN.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
184 Consolation Semifinal:
#6 seed Bernie Truax vs. #4 seed Trey Munoz (Oregon State) -- I'll use TM

Per 1
Caution TM on the opening whistle (I hate when guys do that when I'm the ref). Nothing thru 1st minute. TM tries a duck, nothing. TM working an underhook. TM gets behind for the TD, and has Truax on his back. Munoz with the pin @ 2:29. smh

Truax will wrestle for 5th place

KJB32812

Oct 31, 2021
So five Champs does it or some combo of four, Tyler win, and some bonus wins?

I know there are several moving parts.

Reactions: Locopsu