2024 NCAA Championship Session V Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Please use the thread for all pre-session, in-session, and post-session discussion for the Session V of the 2024 NCAA Championships.

When:
March 23, 11:00 pm EDT

Where:
T-Mobile Center, Kansas City, MO

TV:
ESPNU

Video Streaming:
ESPN+. Please note that this is the only way to get access to multiple mats. In past years, this was offered on ESPN3 (free to those that were ESPN subscribers), but last year ESPN switched MatCast to ESPN+, which is a subscription service.

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. The pre-Session portion of the broadcast will begin at 10:40 am EDT, with the actual PBP of the matches taking place at 11:00 am EDT. (I should note that GoPSUsports.com shows things as starting at 11:40 am, but that appears to be an error on their part.) You can access the audio stream at:

Team Scoring:
The best place to track the team scoring is the Penn State Wrestling Club web site or TrackWrestling. PSU has wrapped up the Team Title, but they are still fighting to top the NCAA record of 170 points. The link for the PSWC site is:

Penn State Wrestling Club – wrestling lives here

pennstatewrestlingclub.org

pennstatewrestlingclub.org

PBP:
I'll be available for PBP for the entire session. @GregPickel will also be in the thread helping with PBP. Hopefully, several of you will also step forward and provide some analysis, or some comments on each match. As always, I remind you to please include the score for the match, or provide some context (wrestler, school, and weight class) beyond just "that's not a takedown." It also helps to give folks a heads up as to what mat a PSU wrestler will be wrestling on. You can usually get that info from Ironhead's audio PBP, from Penn State Wrestling's twitter account, or from TrackWrestling.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
PSU matches in Session V:

All Consolation matches are in Session V, Saturday afternoon. They'll wrestle the below matches. If they win, they advance to the 3rd place match. If they lose, they'll advance to the 5th place match. All placement matches will be completed in Session V.

149 Consolation Semifinal: #7 seed Tyler Kasak vs. #1 seed Ridge Lovett (Nebraska)

184 Consolation Semifinal: #6 seed Bernie Truax vs. #4 seed Trey Munoz (Oregon State)

Reactions: Bob78

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
What time are the finals ? Yes wrestling starts at 11am. Just wondered about the finals

psulion44

Oct 7, 2021
PSU matches in Session V:

All Consolation matches are in Session V, Saturday afternoon. They'll wrestle the below matches. If they win, they advance to the 3rd place match. If they lose, they'll advance to the 5th place match. All placement matches will be completed in Session V.

149 Consolation Semifinal: #7 seed Tyler Kasak vs. #1 seed Ridge Lovett (Nebraska)

184 Consolation Semifinal: #6 seed Bernie Truax vs. #4 seed Trey Munoz (Oregon State)
Just wanted to thank you for these Session threads with the audio link, times, TV / Matt coverage, Who is wrestling vs opponents, Matt assignments etc. etc. So much appreciated.

BlueAndWhite86

Dec 5, 2023
The wrestle backs today for Tyler and Bernie are a nice test. Kasak is 0-2 against Lovett this season. He lost to Lovett 4-0 at B1G Tens and 7-3 in the dual meet against Nebraska. Both were close matches. The difference in the latter was one take down and a riding time point.

Truax lost to Munoz in 4-2 decision way back on January 5th. There’s nearly an entire season of experience since then for Truax and Munoz.

This is a setup for some really great wrestling. Hopefully Cael has them fired up and aggressive from the first whistle.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Starts at 11

Yes. 10am CST and 11am EST

Conflicting info on that. LionVision on GoPSUsports.com shows the radio PBP starting at noon, with the presession starting at 11:40. The Match Notes show it as starting at noon. However, the write-up on Session IV by Pat (who handles wrestling for PSU) on GoPSUsports.com shows it as starting at 11 am. NCAA.com shows it starting at 11 am. I just checked ESPNU's broadcast schedule, and it shows it starting at 11 am. So, I'll change my info in the original post to indicate 11 am.

Edit: I wrote this last night, and changed it to 11 am last night, but was surprised to see this morning that I had never posted it.

Last edited:

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
The wrestle backs today for Tyler and Bernie are a nice test. Kasak is 0-2 against Lovett this season. He lost to Lovett 4-0 at B1G Tens and 7-3 in the dual meet against Nebraska. Both were close matches. The difference in the latter was one take down and a riding time point.

Truax lost to Munoz in 4-2 decision way back on January 5th. There’s nearly an entire season of experience since then for Truax and Munoz.

This is a setup for some really great wrestling. Hopefully Cael has them fired up and aggressive from the first whistle.
Bernie can beat him IF he stays on his offense. Love to see more attitude from him.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
I don't know what TK was doing in that first match but man if he had wrestled that first match like he has the others he might be a finalist. Currently up 6-1 on Lovett.

Reactions: LifeLongLion

Latest posts