2024 NCAA Wrestling Championships Preview and Prediction thread

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Nationals are almost here! Starting today, BWI's continuing coverage of the Penn State push for another NCAA title begins with an early outlook for the Nittany Lions entered in the 125-157 pound weight classes. We'll look at 165-285 Tuesday, offer our prediction for each Penn State competitor on Wednesday, and then the action begins on Thursday. T Frank and I are recorded a new wrestling show that will be out before the action begins, as well.

Feel free to use this thread to link previews and predictions or share your own.

Last edited:

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Greg,
Is Cael speaking with the media tomorrow ?
No. He spoke last Monday, and will speak again (presumably) in Kansas City on Wednesday. But, no guarantee on that. I've yet to see the podium schedule at T-Mobile Arena that day. May just be a PSU wrestler representative.

Reactions: Spice67

NavyBlue

Nov 5, 2021
I watched this one on Flo, which took the approach of looking at possible wrestlebacks for those PSU wrestlers with tough early draws. Davis and Beau could have really difficult 2nd round matches against past opponents.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
I watched this one on Flo, which took the approach of looking at possible wrestlebacks for those PSU wrestlers with tough early draws. Davis and Beau could have really difficult 2nd round matches against past opponents.
Davis has Peterson from Rutgers the 16 seed but yeah, a tough out.
Beau has Cole Matthews (Pitt) who got a ridiculous 18 seed and he has really been wrestling tough.

Penn State shines when they turn on the bright lights.

Reactions: DC89

BriantheLion

Nov 27, 2023
What is our record for finalists in a year… I remember the 5/5 winners (and unfortunately only 2/5 last year)… how many other years did we have five finalists? …and have we ever had six or more?

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
What is our record for finalists in a year… I remember the 5/5 winners (and unfortunately only 2/5 last year)… how many other years did we have five finalists? …and have we ever had six or more?
Penn State is one of two teams to crown five champions in one year twice. It did so in 2016-2017 and 2021-2022. In both years, it had five finalists and won all five. So five is the most in any one year. Going back through the years I cannot find nor remember a time they ever had six in a single year's finals.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadChill

Oct 9, 2021
Penn State is one of two teams to crown five champions in one year twice. It did so in 2016-2017 and 2021-2022. In both years, it had five finalists and one all five. So five is the most in any one year. Going back through the years I cannot find nor remember a time they ever had six in a single year's finals.
PSU has never advanced six wrestlers to the finals. For the 5 winners in the 2016-2017 season, the odd thing is those five were the only AAs for PSU that year. In other words, nobody from PSU finished third through eighth. That's definitely never happened before, where a team's only AAs were national champions, and there were five of them.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Nationals are almost here! Starting today, BWI's continuing coverage of the Penn State push for another NCAA title begins with an early outlook for the Nittany Lions entered in the 125-157 pound weight classes. We'll look at 165-285 Tuesday, offer our prediction for each Penn State competitor on Wednesday, and then the action begins on Thursday. T Frank and I are recorded a new wrestling show that will be out before the action begins, as well.

Feel free to use this thread to link previews and predictions or share your own.

We need a March Madness bracket challenge for wrestling like hoops ....

Reactions: WV lion

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
There used to be a site that ran one but I think it gave up a few years back. I do believe there are some pick a wrestler at each weight class things or top three finishers at each floating around out there. Wrestle Stat used to do something like that I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bwifan

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
There used to be a site that ran run but I think it gave up a few years back. I do believe there are some pick a wrestler at each weight class things or top three finishers at each floating around out there. Wrestle Stat used to do something like that I believe.
You have plenty of time Greg to whip that right up for us... ;)

gimb14

May 3, 2022
I've spent parts of 6 days filling out these brackets (still not done yet) and it's for nothing. I don't think I have enough time if it actually meant something.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

InterMat use to run one where you picked the champs in each weight class, and ranked them 1 thru 10 on confidence. I enjoyed that competition, but I can't find it on their web site this year.

WrestleStat has one. You have to register with WrestleStat to participate. To join, follow these steps:

1. go to WrestleStat at:

2. In the menu bar on the left, select Fantasy

3. In the drop-down menu that appears, select Tourney Pool

4. From that point, you follow the prompts. If you don't have a WrestleStat account, you'll have to create one. If you have an account, then you'll need to sign in.

5. Then, select Join A Group

6. At this point, follow the prompts to join the Official WrestleStat Group for the NCAA Championships.

7. I should note, if somebody has the interest, in step 5 you could create a group for BWI. It would be a private group, and you could invite others to join in the pool. (Seems like a good idea, but I don't have the time, so I'll leave it to others if they are so inclined.)

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Current picks, subject to change:

125: Ayala over Davis
133: Fix over Crookham (Nagao 6th)
141: Mendez over Bartlett
149: Lovett over Parco (Kasak 5th)
157: Haines over Franek
165: O'Toole over Mesenbrink
174: Starocci over Ruth
184: Keckeisen over Salazar (Truax 4th)
197: Brooks over Hidlay
HWT: Kerkvliet over Bastida

Reactions: Got GSPs

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
Current picks, subject to change:

125: Ayala over Davis
133: Fix over Crookham (Nagao 6th)
141: Mendez over Bartlett
149: Lovett over Parco (Kasak 5th)
157: Haines over Franek
165: O'Toole over Mesenbrink
174: Starocci over Ruth
184: Keckeisen over Salazar (Truax 4th)
197: Brooks over Hidlay
HWT: Kerkvliet over Bastida
So that is four champions and all 10 making all American. I would tend to agree, although maybe we get another champion somewhere. I think the over/under is 4.5 champions for sure. It’s not a stretch at all to think we could get 10 all Americans. Maybe the over/under there is 9.5.

Reactions: DC89

gimb14

May 3, 2022
So that is four champions and all 10 making all American. I would tend to agree, although maybe we get another champion somewhere. I think the over/under is 4.5 champions for sure. It’s not a stretch at all to think we could get 10 all Americans. Maybe the over/under there is 9.5.
Yeah, I saw 5.5 somewhere for total champs. May have just been a fan though. 1 month ago I pick Bartlett too. Could absolutely see any of Davis, Bartlett, and Mesenbrink winning.

Reactions: Got GSPs

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
Yeah, I saw 5.5 somewhere for total champs. May have just been a fan though. 1 month ago I pick Bartlett too. Could absolutely see any of Davis, Bartlett, and Mesenbrink winning.
I’m not a gambler so m over/under is just from the perspective of who is ranked number one or is a returning champ. Those three are totally capable of winning their weight class, and if not for O’Toole I’d predict Messenbrink as a winner.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Ok. I think I'm done overanalyzing. The change at 141 really helped Nebraska and Missouri and hurt Michigan. Here's what I got:

1Drake AyalaDaton FixJesse MendezRidge LovettLevi Haines
2Braedan DavisRyan CrookhamBeau BartlettKyle ParcoJared Franek
3Luke StanichKai OrineReal WoodsCaleb HensonEd Scott
4Anthony NotoDylan RagusinRyan JackAustin GomezPeyton Robb
5Jakob CarmachoNasir BaileyAnthony EchemendiaTyler KasakJacori Teemer
6Nico ProvoAaron NagaoCael HappelCasey SwiderskiDaniel Cardenas
7Noah SurtinNic BouzakisBrock HardyJackson ArringtonMeyer Shapiro
8Richard FigueroaEvan FrostJosh EdmondTy WattersBryce Andonian
1Keegan O'TooleCarter StarocciPerker KeckeisenAaron BrooksGreg Kerkvliet
2Mitchell MesenbrinkEd RuthIsaiah SalazarTrent HidlayYonger Bastida
3David CarrMekhi LewisDustin PlottMichael BeardWyatt Hendrickson
4Dean HamitiShane GriffithBernie TruaxTanner SloanCohlton Schultz