2024 Pan American Olympic Games Qualifier, 2/28-3/1

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
GR takes place on 2/28

WFS takes place on 2/29

MFS takes place on 3/1

Competition each day is at 11 am EST (preliminaries and quarterfinals) and 6 pm EST (semifinals)

There are no finals in the competition.

In MFS, the big stories for the USA are Nick Lee and Zane Richards are trying to qualify their respective weight classes for the USA for the Olympics. Richards is trying to qualify for 57 Kg, and Lee is trying to qualify 65 Kg.

A number of guys we know from college wrestling are competing for other countries. RBY is competing for Mexico, at 57 Kg.

Please use this thread for all discussion of this competition.

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Am i reading it right that RBY is at 57 kg which is about 125 pounds? If so curious what it has been like for him cutting weight? He obviously wrestled at PSU at 133. Anyone read anything about RBY-who was so fun to watch wrestle at PSU-clearly one of my all time favorites?

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
RBY looks bigger yet is lighter. Senior is a different deal the college. Make weight a few times a year vs every weekend

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
RBY will be a great freestyle wrestler. He’s now a member of NLWC. Wrestle’s for his country. Great to have in our room. Helps the light weights. Attracting great recruiting as well.

BeerLion

Oct 12, 2021
RBY will be a great freestyle wrestler. He’s now a member of NLWC. Wrestle’s for his country. Great to have in our room. Helps the light weights. Attracting great recruiting as well.
I believe he is representing Mexico

Reactions: Spice67

Psuproud

Nov 1, 2021
It is way too early to tell how good he will be, how the weight cut will affect him, and how long he actually wrestles. It took Zain a few years to adjust his style and he had to go up a weight class to find international success and I would not be surprised if it took RBY a little while to get there if he does.

The Pan Ams are terrible these days so he should not have a huge problem qualifying the weight but 57kg is loaded internationally.

Reactions: Spice67

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Schultz is could be an interesting one when it comes to seeding for nationals. He only has eight matches heading into the Pac 12 tournament, so he has no chance of hitting fifteen matches.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
It is way too early to tell how good he will be, how the weight cut will affect him, and how long he actually wrestles. It took Zain a few years to adjust his style and he had to go up a weight class to find international success and I would not be surprised if it took RBY a little while to get there if he does.

The Pan Ams are terrible these days so he should not have a huge problem qualifying the weight but 57kg is loaded internationally.
Yea of course. The adjustmen period applies to everyone coming out of college. RBY is just so athletic and quick. Think his adjustment will be rather fast. I’m just happy he’s signed with the NLWC through the 2028 Olympics. Help’s the light weights in our room and is great for recruiting.