2024 Preakness Race thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
track looks to be muddy

1st time the Preakness has been run on a muddy track in 85 years. Seems they've been pretty lucky, weather-wise

Reactions: psu31trap

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
“You want to know who Secretariat is in human terms? Just imagine the greatest athlete in the world, the greatest. Now, make him six-foot-three, the perfect height. Make him real intelligent and kind. And on top of that, make him the best looking guy ever to come down the pike. He was all those things as a horse.”

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
1. Seize the Grey
2. Mystik Dan
3. Catching Freedom

Mystik Dan closed at the top of the stretch, but Seize The Grey couldn't be overtaken

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
I hope it pays at least $50. We shall see.

Attachments

• 7F059C2E-BEE0-4FE5-B0DC-182EBAF848A5.jpeg
    7F059C2E-BEE0-4FE5-B0DC-182EBAF848A5.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
Here’s the other ticket. Not bad, not great. I like to bet with my head but not over it.

Attachments

• E1F1F71C-B373-41AD-89A9-CAE622138B5E.jpeg
    E1F1F71C-B373-41AD-89A9-CAE622138B5E.jpeg
    982.1 KB · Views: 1

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
I’m going to Saratoga for the Belmont. I love Saratoga but I can’t wait for the renovations to be completed at Belmont (2026)!!

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Very annoying result. First off, congrats to 88-yr old D. Wayne Lukas for saddling another Triple Crown race winner. He seemed to be down and out 4 years ago but he's revitalized his barn and he's threatening to be back to the trainer he was in the 80s and 90s before Baffert came along. Anytime there's a muddy/sloppy track, speed always rules. Seize the Grey got out there on the lead and no one challenged and he just kept it going. I had 5 & 3 in an exacta box but I picked 9 overall to win because I fell for the Baffert mystique again (his horse that scratched, Muth, was the best one on the board but alas, he was running a fever...probably from the drugs Bob gave him). It's pretty impressive that Seize the Grey also came back 2 weeks after the Derby to win (he ran in the Pat Day Mile at Churchill Downs on Derby Day, one of the main race undercards). We'll see who goes to Saratoga for the Belmont but I'd imagine that Sierra Leone will be the horse to beat there.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I never tire of watching his triple crown races. Belmont still gives me goosebumps. Truly incredible animal

Ditto.

In the Preakness, Secretariat was last in the 1st turn, and then Turcotte made a move, and Secretariat was in 1st at some point in the backstretch. Most horses would suffer at the end of the race from that type of move, but Secretariat was pulling away from Sham at the end of the race.

I've watched the Belmont race dozens/hundreds of times, and I still get goosebumps or emotional when I do so.

Secretariat won the Triple Crown in 1973. Based on his times, his strength, his heart, and everything else he brought to the track, he would win the Triple Crown this year (or any year since 1973). Rarely doesn't any athlete, or any horse, exhibit that type of dominance.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
I’ve been to several Preakness’. Never seen a horse race though. All infield. Many days ago. My current ex wife , we wheel into some guys front yard to park, pay $20 and I said come on. She is pissed, doesn’t want to park there. To which I say fine and go walking in. She sat n stewed for a while and finally resigned to having a good time, which we did

Piketownman

Oct 8, 2021
Ditto.

In the Preakness, Secretariat was last in the 1st turn, and then Turcotte made a move, and Secretariat was in 1st at some point in the backstretch. Most horses would suffer at the end of the race from that type of move, but Secretariat was pulling away from Sham at the end of the race.

I've watched the Belmont race dozens/hundreds of times, and I still get goosebumps or emotional when I do so.

Secretariat won the Triple Crown in 1973. Based on his times, his strength, his heart, and everything else he brought to the track, he would win the Triple Crown this year (or any year since 1973). Rarely doesn't any athlete, or any horse, exhibit that type of dominance.
“Secretariat is moving like a machine!”

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I’ve been to several Preakness’. Never seen a horse race though. All infield. Many days ago. My current ex wife , we wheel into some guys front yard to park, pay $20 and I said come on. She is pissed, doesn’t want to park there. To which I say fine and go walking in. She sat n stewed for a while and finally resigned to having a good time, which we did

It use to be an epic party in the infield at the Preakness. I've never been, but have had several family members and friends that did. All of them indicated that the race was way down the list in terms of priorities while they were in attendance.

Alas, some folks took it too far, and cell phones captured the excess. The below videos were a contributor to Pimlico totally changing the dynamics for the infield in 2009.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
It use to be an epic party in the infield at the Preakness. I've never been, but have had several family members and friends that did. All of them indicated that the race was way down the list in terms of priorities while they were in attendance.

Alas, some folks took it too far, and cell phones captured the excess. The below videos were a contributor to Pimlico totally changing the dynamics for the infield in 2009.

I don’t recall porta potty’s. Guys use to bring in refrigerator shipping boxes and make improntue porta potty’s. Charge like $1. For #1 no 2 allowed.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
I attended a pair of Preakness Saturdays in the infield in the late 90s. Since I went to college in that area, the timing was perfect because it was right before Finals week started. The first year I went, the weather was perfect and the infield was like Bourbon Street on a Saturday night. I had a ziploc bags holding 4-5 beers with ice in my backpack (ya know, you could take those into everywhere back then) so roughly about 20 beers. It made for good socializing cuz I could share with others. But I actually cared about the races too since I'm a degenerate gambler. So I'd get into a cycle of bet the race, go drink, watch the race, hopefully collect, find a port-a-potty, and repeat. Well, when you start drinking at 8am, lightweights like me are in rough shape when it's time for the big race. So I was passed out in a lawn chair for about an hour before the race and then was held up by 2 friends in front of the jumbotron in order to watch the race. How I found the right bus after it was all over was a freakin miracle.

Seeing the shots of the infield today was a bit depressing because that certainly isn't how I remembered it. But at least the mud made things a bit more interesting for the youngsters.

Reactions: s1uggo72

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
1. Seize the Grey
2. Mystik Dan
3. Catching Freedom

Mystik Dan closed at the top of the stretch, but Seize The Grey couldn't be overtaken
Tom,
The so called professional betters, wise guys and the TVG talking heads thought Seize The Grey didn’t have the distance to go a mile and three sixteenths, boy were they wrong. His dad is Arrogate and his mom side you have Smart Strike, not exactly speed horses.

Georgia Peach

Oct 28, 2021
Ditto.

Rarely? Correction Tom. With horses he was a "one and only". There are too many amazing stats on his 3 year old campaign through the major stakes races to allow for a comparison to any other horse. There were horses with more success over a longer period of time but we won't see a more finely tuned animal than Secretariat during the spring and summer of 1973.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
I’m going to Saratoga for the Belmont. I love Saratoga but I can’t wait for the renovations to be completed at Belmont (2026)!!
I thought you were going to say you can't wait for renovations at Saratoga. NEVER! Only maintenence.

Reactions: psu31trap

Latest posts