2026 Recruiting Thread

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Finishing up his freshman year at 6'4" 280 lbs? Plenty of time to grow
No. He hasn't even started his freshman year if he's a 2026. Granted, it's very common for kids to flunk themselves (at the request of the school) in order to get ahead, so he could be the age of a kid finishing his frosh year ... but still ...

Reactions: LB99

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
This is nuts. These kids haven’t even started their freshman year yet.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
No. He hasn't even started his freshman year if he's a 2026. Granted, it's very common for kids to flunk themselves (at the request of the school) in order to get ahead, so he could be the age of a kid finishing his frosh year ... but still ...
It appears he is going to a private school. He probably “reclassified” as a 2026. Many private school athletes do it. It’s out of control. If everybody does it, what are you gaining?

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
It appears he is going to a private school. He probably “reclassified” as a 2026. Many private school athletes do it. It’s out of control. If everybody does it, what are you gaining?

Yup. It's basically a requirement around these parts. Most better athletes go to private schools, and each private school flunks them (I refuse to whitewash the practice by calling it "reclassing") so they can gain a competitive advantage.

Just saw a kid who had a June birthday, and already started school late, "proudly announce" on twitter that he was transferring to a private school and "reclassing." So, in June of this year, he was already 16, and he's going to be a freshman (again) this fall. Depending how long their school year is, he could be 17 before he finishes his freshman year.

We've gotten decently far in the process of looking into the private schools, but I refuse to let my kid be flunked, so I've held off broaching the subject with the coaches, and we've kind of pulled back on it. Straight A's, all Honors courses, and I'm going to flunk him? Crazy. And, on the other hand, if he goes and doesn't get flunked, he'll be competing for spots against kids up to 2 years older than him, but in the same "class."

Last edited:

Anon1656341848

Jun 27, 2022
Yup. It's basically a requirement around these parts. Most better athletes go to private schools, and each private school flunks them (I refuse to whitewash the practice by calling it "reclassing") so they can gain a competitive advantage.

Just saw a kid who had a June birthday, and already started school late, "proudly announce" on twitter that he was transferring to a private school and "reclassing." So, in June of this year, he was already 16, and he's going to be a freshman (again) this fall. Depending how long their school year is, he could be 17 before he finishes his freshman year.

We've gotten decently far in the process of looking into the private schools, but I refuse to let my kid be flunked, so I've held off broaching the subject with the coaches, and we've kind of pulled back on it. Straight A's, all Honors courses, and I'm going to flunk him? Crazy. And, on the other hand, if he goes and doesn't get flunked, he'll be competing for spots against kids up to 2 years older than him, but in the same "class.".
Darius is actually a true rising freshman and is 14 years old. He’s always been a big kid but he hit a major spurt over the last two years.

Reactions: Kevin310

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
Yeah, I can’t even get excited about the 25 class let alone 26. Outside of Franklin we don’t know who will even be on staff with him.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021

More and more, football is following the lead of other sports, and high school is increasingly less relevant. Kids are going on the "showcase circuit," which in football consists of these 7v7 squads (local, then regional, then national) and then combine type showcases while working with instructors in independent football-service companies (that provide spring tackle football, 7v7, etc.). Colleges are aware of these kids at a young age irrespective of their HS participation. HS is just a vehicle for manipulating when they're going to enter college (flunking themselves or reclassing toward an earlier graduation).