2027 Recruiting

Manfredi

All-Conference
Jan 5, 2023
1,616
2,833
113
Interesting!
According Kyle Huesmann, Destiny Manyawu had a visit scheduled for Oct 10 as well.

Hartwell and Manyawu both have PF as a possible position. Just speculating here, but I wonder if IA told Manyawu they have no NIL remaining for that position coz something is in the works with someone else? Wishful thinking I know. Although, I find it odd she's not making the IA visit (think that would be cancelled now) while her brother is on the men's team.
Makes sense to me. I'd be fine and probably prefer the ones that are still possibilities. Hard to take too many high school recruits unless you think they will get enough playing time to keep them happy.
 

KurtWarner

All-Conference
Nov 30, 2025
1,081
2,759
113
Even with all the success and exposure the hawks have had the last several years high ranked recruits seem really reluctant on pulling the trigger on the hawks. Thank goodness for McKenna W

Edit..and Iowa is considered the most popular college women's basketball team
 
Last edited:

Jonesy5960

Heisman
Feb 1, 2023
6,527
13,492
113
When you are recruiting elite players your percentages get smaller. The roster has more better players today than ever before and JJ got them all here- without exception.
Agree. There are few if any designated bench warmers on this roster and there is no one except Medina losing their eligibility over the next 2 years and Seubert (now listed as the number 4 CG in the country) is taking that spot. If the roster stays intact, and that's a big if in today's world, minutes are going to be very hard to come by over the next 2 years unless you are coming in as a freshman ready to play at a high level, and even then... That's probably about 5-10 players tops each year, and they all want a bag and early playing time.
 

o_AMAYS

All-Conference
Jan 4, 2023
812
1,496
93
Agree. There are few if any designated bench warmers on this roster and there is no one except Medina losing their eligibility over the next 2 years and Seubert (now listed as the number 4 CG in the country) is taking that spot.

Not sure I would call Seubert “now listed as # 4 CG.” That ranking by 24/7 is a pre-summer ranking, and 24/7 has yet to rank more than 58 players. Will be interesting to see where Seubert ranks when 24/7 updates and expands their rankings.

ESPN has repeatedly updated their rankings to reflect 2026 USA Basketball experience and the 2026 AAU summer season. ESPN now ranks Seubert # 72, which is #23 of the players they list as G, and also lower than 14 players they rank as PG.
 

Jonesy5960

Heisman
Feb 1, 2023
6,527
13,492
113
Not sure I would call Seubert “now listed as # 4 CG.” That ranking by 24/7 is a pre-summer ranking, and 24/7 has yet to rank more than 58 players. Will be interesting to see where Seubert ranks when 24/7 updates and expands their rankings.

ESPN has repeatedly updated their rankings to reflect 2026 USA Basketball experience and the 2026 AAU summer season. ESPN now ranks Seubert # 72, which is #23 of the players they list as G, and also lower than 14 players they rank as PG.
I was just going by the 247 composite.
4373.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Torgeroni

o_FrankBurns

Senior
May 18, 2010
185
483
63
I'm not as excited as I should be about Hartwell. I'm just not sure I love the idea of having 3 players who can only play 1 position on the roster for 2 seasons together (assuming that Ava H stays through her 5th year). Especially since you are hoping that Ava H plays 30 minutes a game.
 

CleteyColgate

All-Conference
Oct 1, 2020
641
1,348
93
I'm not as excited as I should be about Hartwell. I'm just not sure I love the idea of having 3 players who can only play 1 position on the roster for 2 seasons together (assuming that Ava H stays through her 5th year). Especially since you are hoping that Ava H plays 30 minutes a game.

I'm thinking Heiden is going to continue to expand her game since she hopes to play in the WNBA
 

VegasChris

Senior
Oct 5, 2001
92
456
38
I'm not as excited as I should be about Hartwell. I'm just not sure I love the idea of having 3 players who can only play 1 position on the roster for 2 seasons together (assuming that Ava H stays through her 5th year). Especially since you are hoping that Ava H plays 30 minutes a game.
I'm good with it, most bigs take time to develop and she won't be expecting big minutes coming in.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Torgeroni

the24fan

All-Conference
Jul 30, 2007
851
1,684
93
Manyawu not picking Iowa
jim carrey disbelief GIF
 

o_AMAYS

All-Conference
Jan 4, 2023
812
1,496
93
I am very pleased! Let the coaching staff do a "Monica" on her!
Hartwell will be a good test of Iowa's evaluation and development skills. Jan has been right before about undervalued post prospects. And Hartwell has great size and defensive potential, per scouting reports. Still, Hartwell is an interesting recruit for Iowa to be interested in at this time.

If you believe South Carolina message board chatter, S. Carolina never had much interest (never an offer), and Clemson lost interest after an early offer. The ESPN rankers have soured on Hartwell more than any other earlier high-ranked prospect in the '27 class. She started at # 17 in their rankings, peaked at # 15, dropped to # 71 after USA Basketball tryouts this summer (she didn't make the first cut), and dropped again to # 95 at the end of the AAU season this summer. She didn't stand out in the AAU season. Looks like she didn't start for her team, and averaged less than 6 points.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nu2u

o_FrankBurns

Senior
May 18, 2010
185
483
63
As Al McGuire ( how old are you?)would say, "you can't teach 6'5'", there is a proven history of development of centers and she is not needed immediately. I like the odds she will contribute to a contending team!
5 years ago I totally would agree, but in the NIL era I'm not sure it makes sense roster wise to spend that much money on one position (and a position that will have a all-american type player).

We already are in a world where teams are choosing to not fill empty roster spots so the money is divided between fewer players.

If Hartwell ends up at Iowa, I certainly hope I'm wrong and things work out well
 

Hawkangler

All-Conference
Mar 16, 2014
2,147
4,686
113
Hartwell will be a good test of Iowa's evaluation and development skills. Jan has been right before about undervalued post prospects. And Hartwell has great size and defensive potential, per scouting reports. Still, Hartwell is an interesting recruit for Iowa to be interested in at this time.

If you believe South Carolina message board chatter, S. Carolina never had much interest (never an offer), and Clemson lost interest after an early offer. The ESPN rankers have soured on Hartwell more than any other earlier high-ranked prospect in the '27 class. She started at # 17 in their rankings, peaked at # 15, dropped to # 71 after USA Basketball tryouts this summer (she didn't make the first cut), and dropped again to # 95 at the end of the AAU season this summer. She didn't stand out in the AAU season. Looks like she didn't start for her team, and averaged less than 6 points.

Prep Girl Hoops still has her at #21

247 at #16

ESecPN is the only drop that I see
 
  • Like
Reactions: Torgeroni

Hawkangler

All-Conference
Mar 16, 2014
2,147
4,686
113
5 years ago I totally would agree, but in the NIL era I'm not sure it makes sense roster wise to spend that much money on one position (and a position that will have a all-american type player).

We already are in a world where teams are choosing to not fill empty roster spots so the money is divided between fewer players.

If Hartwell ends up at Iowa, I certainly hope I'm wrong and things work out well
Do you have a clue what Iowa might be offering? Bringing in 4* talent and developing them is a solid strategy. In a year or two Khalia will be a three year starter.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Torgeroni

Hawkeye_Miguel

All-Conference
Apr 7, 2025
327
1,059
93
Do you have a clue what Iowa might be offering? Bringing in 4* talent and developing them is a solid strategy. In a year or two Khalia will be a three year starter.
Exactly. Having a freshman as a 3rd post allows you to develop them without feeling forced to play them before they're ready. Plus you have some insurance just in case injury happens to one of your 2 regulars.
 

napali

All-Conference
Nov 1, 2002
516
1,628
93
Skim Milkey started the Hartwell fever when he posted the GIF of Caitlin on X. How reliable are his pop up gifs? What percentage of the time is he correct in his predictions?
 
Last edited:

Jonesy5960

Heisman
Feb 1, 2023
6,527
13,492
113
5 years ago I totally would agree, but in the NIL era I'm not sure it makes sense roster wise to spend that much money on one position (and a position that will have a all-american type player).

We already are in a world where teams are choosing to not fill empty roster spots so the money is divided between fewer players.

If Hartwell ends up at Iowa, I certainly hope I'm wrong and things work out well
I think expectations are important. In the case of Deal she (and I assume the staff) were assuming an immediate and substantial level of contribution and the compensation likely reflected that. In the case of any 5 coming in, there would have to be an understanding that the vast majority of minutes would be going to Ava the first year or 2 and Hartwell and Layla would still be in backup/development mode until 2028 when Ava's eligibility is exhausted. Assuming this is the case, then Hartwell's compensation would be reflective of that reality.
 
Hawkeye Report

Latest

  1. 01 Hawkeye Report Football Iowa football players presser news and notes
  2. 02 Hawkeye Report Football Hawkeyes in the NFL: Week Three Top Performers
  3. 03 Hawkeye Report Olympics Iowa lands nation's premier 190-pound prospect, Brooke Huffman
  4. 04 Hawkeye Report Football Tuesdays with Torbee
  5. 05 Hawkeye Report Football Iowa Football Opponent Preview: #6 Ohio State Buckeyes