3 Penn State wrestling questions with one week to go in the regular season

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
If Bernie simply does a front trip on Pinto in the 2nd period when he had that bear hug. That’s a 6 point throw and possible pin. Everyone in our section was yelling trip. He never tried It. I’m telling you IF Bernie starts wrestling a lot more aggressive from the 1st period on he’ll be much better. Just seems wayyy to nice and others are taking advantage. Will see soon. Think this is his last year of eligibility

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
If Bernie simply does a front trip on Pinto in the 2nd period when he had that bear hug. That’s a 6 point throw and possible pin. Everyone in our section was yelling trip. He never tried It. I’m telling you IF Bernie starts wrestling a lot more aggressive from the 1st period on he’ll be much better. Just seems wayyy to nice and others are taking advantage. Will see soon. Think this is his last year of eligibility
This is Truax's final season of eligibility yes.

Reactions: Spice67

BruceK-PSU83

Oct 31, 2021
Why would Davis need a break against Edinboro?

Davis was exhausted at the end of the bout against Smith of Nebraska because he (Davis) spent the last 20+ seconds fighting to stay off his back. And going into OT against Peterson of Rutgers the week (6 whole days) before wasn't much of a surprise, as the two guys are pretty evenly matched. Doesn't mean anything from a fatigue standpoint.

The PSU staff has already set up the schedule to have a final "tune-up" dual against Edinboroand then get 13 days off before the B1G tourney. I think Davis would be better served wrestling in the Edinboro dual, and would be rather surprised if he sits out.

BriantheLion

Nov 27, 2023

Davis was exhausted at the end of the bout against Smith of Nebraska because he (Davis) spent the last 20+ seconds fighting to stay off his back. And going into OT against Peterson of Rutgers the week (6 whole days) before wasn't much of a surprise, as the two guys are pretty evenly matched. Doesn't mean anything from a fatigue standpoint.

The PSU staff has already set up the schedule to have a final "tune-up" dual against Edinboroand then get 13 days off before the B1G tourney. I think Davis would be better served wrestling in the Edinboro dual, and would be rather surprised if he sits out.
They have to balance benefits of rest vs confidence rebuild.

Reactions: PO60

BriantheLion

Nov 27, 2023

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021

Exactly, better to head to big ten coming off a win that MD loss. Will have almost 2 week break.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023

Get some confidence back. He should wrestle

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021

Sorry, missed this message earlier. I have no argument against your point. Just wonder if a focus in the room and on a tune-up plan might be better for him then gearing up to wrestle Sunday. But you're right about the reason for scheduling the match. We'll see what Cael says tomorrow. He speaks at 1.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Sorry, missed this message earlier. I have no argument against your point. Just wonder if a focus in the room and on a tune-up plan might be better for him then gearing up to wrestle Sunday. But you're right about the reason for scheduling the match. We'll see what Cael says tomorrow. He speaks at 1.
Greg,
Is it possible to ask Cael in an professional manner this question. Do you think if Bernie was more aggressive that could help him turn the tables sort of speak ?

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Greg,
Is it possible to ask Cael in an professional manner this question. Do you think if Bernie was more aggressive that could help him turn the tables sort of speak ?

Coach, some fan(s) were wondering when you will correct Truax’s milquetoast wrestling so that he is no longer an embarrassment the other upper weights in the lineup. Do you have a plan? After all, not only is the sky not blue enough, it’s not even the preferred Pantone.

Is that professional enough for you?

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Seniors will get the chance to wrestle one last time at Rec Hall. Expect Beau, Carter, Bernie, Aaron and Greg to go. Don't be surprised to see Claw go at 165......as a nod to a great career. This usually isn't Cael's MO, the best guy goes if he is healthy.

1) I don't think Davis is tired. Good coaches have their guys ready for what he will and won't do at this point. He has to get better on his feet.
2) Nagao might sit again depending on just how sick he was. I don't recall if he was actually with the team this weekend.
3) Both could be up a weight next year.
4) Kasak and Haines.......I am not sure either wrestles. There is little no no value in them going out there. They will work harder warming up. Make weight then cheer your teammate on.
5) My locals probably won't win a match. Boro has a head coach. Everyone else is a volunteer per their website.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Kasak almost has to go to get rpi for seeding at nationals. He is 12-3. 4 of the matches at 141. And 1 at 149 vs Evans. That gives him only 10 matches at 149. Everyone else should hit 15 after big ten.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garw

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021
Kasak almost has to go to get rpi for seeding at nationals. He is 12-3. 4 of the matches at 141. And 1 at 149 vs Evans. That gives him only 10 matches at 141. Everyone else should hit 15 after big ten.
Do you mean 10 matches at 149?

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021

It has looked like Davis hit the freshman wall for a couple of weeks now. This is completely normal and almost every true freshman hits this wall late in the season. I actually think a break against Edinboro will do him some good.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Greg,
Could you please ask Cael how Van Ness is progressing after his surgery ? Is he doing any drilling yet ? Thank you

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023

Davis needs to wrestle. Get confidence before the Big ten tournament in Maryland

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Bernie simply must get a mean and nasty attitude ! He’s getting pushed around and must take it personal….Same exact thing with Aaron N. Both must get mean and nasty now. It’s that time of the year now. Let’s see if they work on those 2 mind set during the Big Ten tournament in Maryland which should be like a home tournament for us, plenty of tickets to get under other teams….Can’t wait let’s go

Last edited:

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Bernie simply must get a mean and nasty attitude ! He’s getting pushed around and must take it personal….Same exact thing with Aaron N. Both must get mean and nasty now. It’s that time of the year now. Let’s see if they work on those 2 mind set during the Big Ten tournament in Maryland which should be like a home tournament for us, plenty of tickets to get under other teams….Can’t wait let’s go
Perhaps they can hire you to insult their mothers, steal their lunch money, and give them atomic wedgies before each match? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Seniors will get the chance to wrestle one last time at Rec Hall. Expect Beau, Carter, Bernie, Aaron and Greg to go. Don't be surprised to see Claw go at 165......as a nod to a great career. This usually isn't Cael's MO, the best guy goes if he is healthy.

1) I don't think Davis is tired. Good coaches have their guys ready for what he will and won't do at this point. He has to get better on his feet.
2) Nagao might sit again depending on just how sick he was. I don't recall if he was actually with the team this weekend.
3) Both could be up a weight next year.
4) Kasak and Haines.......I am not sure either wrestles. There is little no no value in them going out there. They will work harder warming up. Make weight then cheer your teammate on.
5) My locals probably won't win a match. Boro has a head coach. Everyone else is a volunteer per their website.
Nagao needs to wrestle to get his win % up to get an automatic qualifier., unless he's really sick I think he has to wrestle.
To be clearer, his winning % is 69, a win brings him to 71% and adds another qualifier to 133, need over 70%.

Last edited:

manatree

Oct 6, 2021

A fifth year senior is not going to change with one month left in his career. Accept that this is who Bernie is.

It's not just that Truax is a fifth year senior. Most wrestlers that are good enough to start for Penn State have been wrestling year round since they were in grade school. Perhaps, just perhaps, a good coach knows how to work with and improve a wrestler's natural tools and demeanor rather than trying to completely change what they've been doing for 10+ years. If a mean and nasty attitude was what it took to be a great wrestler our staff would be recruiting juvenile detention centers. It's about as logical as claiming that the way to be a better coach is to act like the Brother Brands.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
It's not just that Truax is a fifth year senior. Most wrestlers that are good enough to start for Penn State have been wrestling year round since they were in grade school. Perhaps, just perhaps, a good coach knows how to work with and improve a wrestler's natural tools and demeanor rather than trying to completely change what they've been doing for 10+ years. If a mean and nasty attitude was what it took to be a great wrestler our staff would be recruiting juvenile detention centers. It's about as logical as claiming that the way to be a better coach is to act like the Brother Brands.
That’s not want I mean. Just hope he’s more aggressive. I’ll put it that way. Cael and staff know what’s up. Will see soon. Hoping for the best for him and all our guys

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Bernie’s problem is Carter and Aaron. Some guys moving up for a chance to win, others moving down.

Cael knows how to get guys ready for Nationals.

coastfan

Oct 26, 2021
Noticed that too. Edinboro is a Div 1 program. That shows the disparity between the top programs and a program like Edinboro. They have had a couple of national champions this century (Gregor Gillespie and Josh Koscheck). Koscheck was an MMA fighter for awhile.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Noticed that too. Edinboro is a Div 1 program. That shows the disparity between the top programs and a program like Edinboro. They have had a couple of national champions this century (Gregor Gillespie and Josh Koscheck). Koscheck was an MMA fighter for awhile.
They finished third at the 2015 championship with two second and two third place wrestlers. We finished sixth and Cael was on the hot seat. 😜

Gronky

Nov 10, 2021
Apologies if I missed this from earlier in the year, but what is the story with Robbie Howard? Did he have to have surgery again? Is he wrestling unattached and/or in open tournaments? Did he transfer/portal? Haven't heard a word since Davis won the 125 spot.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Apologies if I missed this from earlier in the year, but what is the story with Robbie Howard? Did he have to have surgery again? Is he wrestling unattached and/or in open tournaments? Did he transfer/portal? Haven't heard a word since Davis won the 125 spot.
I’m not exactly sure what the story is, but I did see him on the bench last week. It’s gotta be frustrating for him if it was another injury. He had a lot of potential and looked pretty good in the limited times I saw him wrestle.

Reactions: Gronky

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
That’s not want I mean. Just hope he’s more aggressive. I’ll put it that way. Cael and staff know what’s up. Will see soon. Hoping for the best for him and all our guys
Leopards don’t change their spots 4-5 yrs into their college careers. Truax has been very successful in the past and I’m sure Cael and Casey are working with him to improve on some minor things, but expecting a change of style this late into his season/career is unrealistic. If the biggest thing we have to complain about is a multiple time AA in the lineup then we’ve become very spoiled.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Leopards don’t change their spots 4-5 yrs into their college careers. Truax has been very successful in the past and I’m sure Cael and Casey are working with him to improve on some minor things, but expecting a change of style this late into his season/career is unrealistic. If the biggest thing we have to complain about is a multiple time AA in the lineup then we’ve become very spoiled.
Yeah, Bernie and SVN probably screwed things up. We were getting set to sweep NC's from 141 on up. For those who are high strung, this is a joke.

Seriously, SVN would have been a #1 or close to it. MM is probably top 3 in a loaded weight. Bernie will be fine.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Yeah, Bernie and SVN probably screwed things up. We were getting set to sweep NC's from 141 on up. For those who are high strung, this is a joke.

Seriously, SVN would have been a #1 or close to it. MM is probably top 3 in a loaded weight. Bernie will be fine.
Only thing that worries me about mesenbrink is he is undersized. But not losing weight may help come tournament time.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Only thing that worries me about mesenbrink is he is undersized. But not losing weight may help come tournament time.
He’s survived this far without any issues being undersized. Honestly, he doesn’t look that undersized to me and his technique and motor make up for that. He’ll be fine. It’s a stacked weight that’s very top heavy. He has his work cut out for him regardless.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
He’s survived this far without any issues being undersized. Honestly, he doesn’t look that undersized to me and his technique and motor make up for that. He’ll be fine. It’s a stacked weight that’s very top heavy. He has his work cut out for him regardless.
Hasn't wrestled Carr or Otoole yet. Big jump in skill set between them and the rest of the field. Other than mesenbrink, he has their skill level.

Latest posts