4 star QB Ryan Montgomery to announce on Wednesday

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Now On3 has UGA 60.% and us 6%. Queue up the posters telling us it’s not a big miss.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
You could build an all-time college football roster out of the player we didn't want haha
We need a spin wheel with the responses to a player picking another school:

1. We didn't want him anyway.
2. He is a head case.
3. He would have been a locker room cancer.
4. He is overrated.
5. He is a discipline problem.
6. (other school name here) bag man showed up.
7. We were never really in it for him.
8. (opposing coach name here) promised him playing time and we don't do that.
9. He doesn't have the grades to get in.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
We need a spin wheel with the responses to a player picking another school:

1. We didn't want him anyway.
2. He is a head case.
3. He would have been a locker room cancer.
4. He is overrated.
5. He is a discipline problem.
6. (other school name here) bag man showed up.
7. We were never really in it for him.
8. (opposing coach name here) promised him playing time and we don't do that.
9. He doesn't have the grades to get in.

Hilariously accurate.

It's probably covered under one of the above, but I've also always liked "He wasn't a take"

One thing's for sure, we'd need a big wheel.

• Haha
Reactions: 92Pony
Mar 24, 2022
In the days of the portal not as big a loss as it used to be.
Look around the SEC.A majority of the starting QB’s are transfers .
Not to diminish how nice it would be to sign him.Certainly would help in the perception that the program is thriving.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Our avenue may just be to shoot for solid contributors in recruiting, then comb throught the portal for the G5 qb's who played well at that level.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Our avenue may just be to shoot for solid contributors in recruiting, then comb throught the portal for the G5 qb's who played well at that level.
The issue with the G5 guy is that he wants to come in and play right away. The difference in the game between any G5 team and the SEC is huge and expecting a G5 guy to come in and look really good in SEC games is a big ask.

Go after some 4 stars and some overlooked 3 stars in recruiting and stack them up and let them compete to see who is best.

FootballLVR

Sep 25, 2023
The issue with the G5 guy is that he wants to come in and play right away. The difference in the game between any G5 team and the SEC is huge and expecting a G5 guy to come in and look really good in SEC games is a big ask.

Go after some 4 stars and some overlooked 3 stars in recruiting and stack them up and let them compete to see who is best.
If we are completely honest with ourselves, we aren't getting many 4-5* QB's except through the portal. Rattler was a good get but did it significantly change who we were? We still have a lot of work to do.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
If we are completely honest with ourselves, we aren't getting many 4-5* QB's except through the portal. Rattler was a good get but did it significantly change who we were? We still have a lot of work to do.
If a coach really wants to build a top tier team, he starts with both lines and works from there. It all starts on the line of scrimmage. With a really good OL a team doesn't need elite talent at the skill positions. Unfortunately, fans get obsessed with the skill position players and follow them. Rattler had a great arm and was a good qb but poor OL play made him pretty well useless. It is the same on defense. Everyone wants to sign the shut down corners and big name safeties but if the qb had all day to throw, no db can cover a receiver forever.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

I would say that your option is the preferred option. Mine was what I think we will be relegated to.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
I would say that your option is the preferred option. Mine was what I think we will be relegated to.
Like I've said before, the portal is a crutch for coaches who can't develop players and who can't or won't work hard recruiting. Fans and coaches think the portal is like walking into a retail store and having multiple choices of top talent players sitting on the shelf waiting to be picked up. The reality is; it is more like going to a HS dance stag and hoping you can connect with a girl who isn't too ugly who is there alone or gets mad at her date and wants someone else. It is very unlikely the homecoming queen is going to dump her date to go home with you.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Not sure why Montgomery would prefer UGA over USC. Kirby Smart in no way claps better and longer than Shane Beamer when a player comes off the field.

• Haha
Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Like I've said before, the portal is a crutch for coaches who can't develop players and who can't or won't work hard recruiting. Fans and coaches think the portal is like walking into a retail store and having multiple choices of top talent players sitting on the shelf waiting to be picked up. The reality is; it is more like going to a HS dance stag and hoping you can connect with a girl who isn't too ugly who is there alone or gets mad at her date and wants someone else. It is very unlikely the homecoming queen is going to dump her date to go home with you.
So in the high school dance analogy, we’re the nerds at the dance in 16 Candles?

D47D239E-CCAF-406C-8AD1-A8F2D79EB879.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: NCCocky