6,000 unsold seats for the BJC dual. Sad.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Holding this on a Monday night rather than a weekend cost the Athletic Department a few hundred thousand bucks. No excuse. Should have been Ohio State match last Friday night.
Probably be a ton of people walk up to the BJC and get tickets at the door. This team is very special and deserves all our support.

Reactions: GoPSU97

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
That’s what happens when someone books a job fair in the BJC last weekend… you mean it couldn’t have been som other time. Learned a lesson.

LealandLoyal

Oct 29, 2021
That’s what happens when someone books a job fair in the BJC last weekend… you mean it couldn’t have been som other time. Learned a lesson.
What job fair? No event listed at the BJC on February 2. Lady Lions played there on Feb. 3. Someone mucked up.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Again, it was selected because they predicted (correctly) that we would have 999 wins after the trip to Iowa. The 1,000th win was the event they were going for. The downside is that the B1G gave us the Monday slot for Rutgers. The weather forecast isn’t doing us any favors for walk up sales tonight.

On a side note, it is perfectly acceptable to give priority to events like a Career Fair, even though this isn’t the case in this situation as the Career Fair was Jan 23 & 24. Last I checked, Penn State still expects some students to play school and possibly even land a job upon graduation.

Last edited:

LealandLoyal

Oct 29, 2021
Again, it was selected because they predicted (correctly) that we would have 999 wins after the trip to Iowa. The 1,000th win was the event they were going for. The downside is that the B1G gave us the Monday slot for Rutgers. The weather forecast isn’t doing us any favors for walk up sales tonight.

On a side note, it is perfectly acceptable to give priority to events like a Career Fair, even though this isn’t the case in this situation as the Career Fair was Jan 23 & 24. Last I checked, Penn State still expects some students to play school and possibly even land a job upon graduation.
No one in the Athletics Department would be counting up prospective victories before the season and conclude that we should have the BJC dual on a Monday night against Rutgers because it could be the program’s win 1000. Who cares? Almost laughable.

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
Yeah, a Monday is a tough pull. If there are lots of empty seats, they should move them down to fill up the lower bowl. At the very least, turn a blind eye to folks surreptitiously improving their seating.

Reactions: LealandLoyal

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
No one in the Athletics Department would be counting up prospective victories before the season and conclude that we should have the BJC dual on a Monday night against Rutgers because it could be the program’s win 1000. Who cares? Almost laughable.

Well they had best start claiming it as the reason because the only other explanation is that it was chosen because it was Rutgers.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Well they had best start claiming it as the reason because the only other explanation is that it was chosen because it was Rutgers.
Cael Sanderson, at his first news conference of the year, made it sound like they were stuck with this match/date and didn't really have another choice. Felt then and still feel now that it was an odd explanation and that Penn State and the Big Ten should have been able to work together to find a better date to make it work, regardless of the opponent, to be a Friday or Saturday match. As Steve Jones said when I was on with him to preview Iowa and Rutgers last week, getting people out for anything on a Monday in State College is difficult. Combine that now with the obviously unpredicted weather concerns, and it's just not a great situation.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Cael Sanderson, at his first news conference of the year, made it sound like they were stuck with this match/date and didn't really have another choice. Felt then and still feel now that it was an odd explanation and that Penn State and the Big Ten should have been able to work together to find a better date to make it work, regardless of the opponent, to be a Friday or Saturday match. As Steve Jones said when I was on with him to preview Iowa and Rutgers last week, getting people out for anything on a Monday in State College is difficult. Combine that now with the obviously unpredicted weather concerns, and it's just not a great situation.
It’s possible that when they announced the wrestling schedule back in October?? that there was a hold on the BJC for a possible concert on Feb 1 or 2, but it wasn’t any career fair. I just wish they would be more upfront about it. Perhaps the career fair was a miscommunication on Sanderson’s end. My tin foil hat theory is that it was just to tick Ryan off because it isn’t the way he would have handled it.

Looking at the BJC schedule, the only home duals that would fit were Ohio State, Rutgers, and Edinboro.

Last edited:

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
It’s possible that when they announced the wrestling schedule back in October?? that there was a hold on the BJC for a possible concert on Feb 1 or 2, but it wasn’t any career fair. I just wish they would be more upfront about it. Perhaps the career fair was a miscommunication on Sanderson’s end. My tin foil hat theory is that it was just to tick Ryan off because it isn’t the way he would have handled it.
Ha, perhaps. That's a good question about the miscommunication that I don't currently have an answer to. Perhaps I'm naive, but it just feels to me like the Big Ten and Penn State could have been talking long before the schedule came out to try and pick a better date for this.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
My tix will go unused, just a donation anyway. Not a rock star home slate anyway

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
This was stupid to move a Monday match against Rutgers to the BJC. I feel bad for the wrestlers who won’t be supported as they deserve but Cael and the athletic department are to blame.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023

Should be home by the big snow even starts.

GoPSU97

Oct 11, 2022
My son is there sitting on the floor near the edge of the mat.

Attachments

• 72947255007__8172047C-02A3-4C22-A31B-814F2C717A29.jpeg
    72947255007__8172047C-02A3-4C22-A31B-814F2C717A29.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4677.jpeg
    IMG_4677.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4677.jpeg
    IMG_4677.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
It was a major screw up no matter how you spin it. This has been going on for years and an event that you pre plan and protect. It's a major event every year.