(67-65) > (54-51)

ParisCat_rivals

Freshman
Feb 5, 2002
1,351
70
32
My math might be a little off here, but to me, the Ash Wednesday Miracle barely edges out the 2000 Instant Classic at Ryan Field as the most dramatic sporting event I've ever seen in person. The fact that we beat Michigan both times makes them a little extra sweeter.
 

eastbaycat99

Junior
Mar 7, 2009
2,553
244
48
My math might be a little off here, but to me, the Ash Wednesday Miracle barely edges out the 2000 Instant Classic at Ryan Field as the most dramatic sporting event I've ever seen in person. The fact that we beat Michigan both times makes them a little extra sweeter.

Michigan seems to be at the short end of more dramatic Cats' wins than any other team I can think of. In addition to last night and the 54-51 game, I remember the 4th quarter comeback from 16-0 capped by Gowins' two straight last minute field goals and the '94 basketball overtime win over the 80% fab five featuring a Kevin Rankin 3-pointer to cement the lead. Last night, unfortunately, was the first of those I did not witness in person!
 

D_C_B

Redshirt
Aug 10, 2016
663
21
0
I stick with 54-51. Michigan fans are way more obnoxious about football than basketball. :)
 
Last edited:

ricko6543211

Junior
Nov 15, 2006
4,232
232
47
Michigan seems to be at the short end of more dramatic Cats' wins than any other team I can think of. In addition to last night and the 54-51 game, I remember the 4th quarter comeback from 16-0 capped by Gowins' two straight last minute field goals and the '94 basketball overtime win over the 80% fab five featuring a Kevin Rankin 3-pointer to cement the lead. Last night, unfortunately, was the first of those I did not witness in person!
ehh it goes both ways... you remember the moving OL FG kick win they had over us? or Trevor slipping on the 2 pt conversion after a brutal game? or the hail mary followed by FG in Ann Arbor for them to come back and beat us?

that's the fun of (especially college) sports, epic moments in both directions.

Go Cats!
 

NURoseBowl

Junior
Jun 16, 2009
8,226
374
58
My math might be a little off here, but to me, the Ash Wednesday Miracle barely edges out the 2000 Instant Classic at Ryan Field as the most dramatic sporting event I've ever seen in person. The fact that we beat Michigan both times makes them a little extra sweeter.

Think Phatcat will second this motion wholeheartedly.
 

NURoseBowl

Junior
Jun 16, 2009
8,226
374
58
Michigan seems to be at the short end of more dramatic Cats' wins than any other team I can think of. In addition to last night and the 54-51 game, I remember the 4th quarter comeback from 16-0 capped by Gowins' two straight last minute field goals and the '94 basketball overtime win over the 80% fab five featuring a Kevin Rankin 3-pointer to cement the lead. Last night, unfortunately, was the first of those I did not witness in person!
Wasn't the Tre Demps game a couple years ago also against Michigan?
 

eastbaycat99

Junior
Mar 7, 2009
2,553
244
48
Wasn't the Tre Demps game a couple years ago also against Michigan?

I am getting old. The Demps game was just two years ago. Having said that, last night and the other 3 games previously cited all had relatively high stakes: the '96 and '2000 games were both necessary for conference championships and the '94 basketball game cemented an NIT bid, which for us at the time was still a pretty big deal.
 

Alaskawildkat

Senior
Dec 28, 2005
20,847
619
113
Thanks for the clips.

The "54-51" Instant Classic followed the week prior's "Victory Right" Instant Classic at the Metrodome. Traveling from Alaska it was the first and only time I have had the luxury of being able to attend back to back games in person. What a memorable week. The link that will always tie the "54-51" game to last night's "Miracle" game (besides the shared opponent) is the storming of the field/court by NU fans.
 
Last edited:

D_C_B

Redshirt
Aug 10, 2016
663
21
0
The Sean Wieber strip for the A-Train fumble, to me, is still better than the Hail Mary. Just my opinion and I can't even tell you why...it just was.

Quickie poll:

Sean Wieber strip

Or

Nate Taphorn bomb?

Or a write in for most important play by a non-NU "star player" that you'll never ever ever forget?

And I'm stealing the Matt Hartl catch before anyone else does... :)
 

Alaskawildkat

Senior
Dec 28, 2005
20,847
619
113
The Sean Wieber strip for the A-Train fumble, to me, is still better than the Hail Mary. Just my opinion and I can't even tell you why...it just was.

Quickie poll:

Sean Wieber strip

Or

Nate Taphorn bomb?

Or a write in for most important play by a non-NU "star player" that you'll never ever ever forget?

And I'm stealing the Matt Hartl catch before anyone else does... :)

Good questions deserving of its own thread - accompanied by a poll.
 
Wildcat Report

Latest

  1. 01 Wildcat Report Fearless Forecast: Ball State vs. Northwestern
  2. 02 On3 NIL Northwestern agrees to 10-year extension on Under Armour deal, will receive increased NIL investment
  3. 03 Wildcat Report Media Day Notebook: Northwestern hungry to rebuild with 11 new players on roster
  4. 04 Wildcat Report Northwestern vs. Penn State PFF Grades Analysis
  5. 05 Wildcat Report Behind Enemy Lines: Ball State