A’Ja Wilson

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
That should not be an excuse to sit on your hands and do nothing to solve the problems in this lifetime
Such indolence is in no wise suggested by my remark. People should do their best, but man's best will never be good enough to subdue all ignoble intentions, which in many instances, manage to hold sway.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Some unsolicited Writing advice from Shakespeare, Jesus, country music, and English Style manuals.

“Brevity is the soul of wit.” Polonius, from William Shakespeare’s Hamlet Act 2, scene 2

“Let your yes be yes or your no be no, whatever else you add comes from the evil one.” Jesus, Matthew 5:27.

“A little less talk, a lot more action.” Hank Williams Jr. and later Toby Keith.

Brevity in writing refers to a style of writing that is concise, terse, straight to the point, direct, and professional.

Please Read Hemingway.

34 words were brief enough. Shakespeare in practice was not necessarily sententious. If one wanted, one could pare the Sermon on the Mount quite a bit. Your digression is noted.

Last edited:

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
34 words were brief enough. Shakespeare in practice was not necessarily sententious. If one wanted, one could pare the Sermon on the Mount quite a bit. Your digression is noted.
Nm

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
36 words

16 words with no self indulgent and self aggrandizing puffery

I too believe we should work to do good in the world despite our flawed humanity.

your style is straight from one of my citations

“Before Hemingway began publishing his short stories and sketches, American writers affected British mannerisms. Adjectives piled on top of one another; adverbs tripped over each other. Colons clogged the flow of even short paragraphs, and the plethora of semicolons often caused readers to throw up their hands in exasperation.”

Friend, I have always been impressed with your intelligence. Your style, in my opinion however does not invite readers. It feels as if you write to indulge yourself not edify the reader.

Numerous times a year I enter online fiction writing contests. They have strict word limits; 100, 200, sometimes 300 words to tell a story. Sometimes I even place highly. It has helped me to attempt to pare down my own ramblings and prolix pontifications.
I'm watching golf. When and if I resume the thread, I'll be discussing topics arising from the OP.

Latest posts