A slight detour....SOX? or cubs?

Jul 3, 2025
576
553
93
I mean, personally, Cubs fans are insufferable... It's auto Sox for me.
Neither if that were an option, which it is not.
GO GO BASEBALL!!!
Bay Area Starz GIF by Blindspotting
 
Last edited:

Silver Rain

All-Conference
Jun 6, 2022
1,487
1,559
78
As a Sox fan and a baseball fan, I favor Ohtani over Crow Armstrong. In addition to rewriting the record books, Ohtani is elevating the game. I'd love the Sox to play the Dodgers in the World Series, which hasn't happened since 1959, when the Sox had stars like Nellie Fox and Luis Aparicio.
 
Last edited:

MC63

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
6,588
2,539
113
The White Sox are my very favorite professional team ... the Bears follow more than a bit after.

I have a tiny bit of interest in the Hawks ... no interest in the Cubs .... and negative interest in the Bulls.
 

GMAN81

Junior
Aug 21, 2013
1,787
314
83
Sox are Popping Bottles!
That is good. But in the big picture, they haven't won anything yet.

I was texting a very good friend who has been a Cub fan his whole life. He told me the Cubs don't play with any emotion like the White Sox. Can't speak about the Cubs. But I did watch much of the Houston, White Sox games. And I had a few observations.

First, Houston sucks and really didn't belong in the playoffs. But, they won a crap division, so there's that silly rule. They couldn't even sell out their stadium for that series? Where are their fans?

But, when I see the White Sox, they look very loose and looked to be having lots of fun. They look like a team that is playing with nothing to lose because no one, and I mean NO ONE, at the beginning of the season, predicted them to be where they are. In Vegas terms, they look like they are playing with house money. This is not a knock. It is an observation. This could make them a danger to other teams who face more pressure from their own fans and media. The White Sox are a likeable team.

And to be honest. They did get a break with an opening series against the Astros with the winner getting to play Cleveland instead of a team from the AL East. But those are the rules. I am talking about that break and several Chicago sportswriters and media people said the same thing even before I did.

But this isn't sour grapes. It is reality. Personally, I am glad Houston is gone. Good for the White Sox.
 

USD24

All-American
May 29, 2001
5,594
5,482
113
That is good. But in the big picture, they haven't won anything yet.

I was texting a very good friend who has been a Cub fan his whole life. He told me the Cubs don't play with any emotion like the White Sox. Can't speak about the Cubs. But I did watch much of the Houston, White Sox games. And I had a few observations.

First, Houston sucks and really didn't belong in the playoffs. But, they won a crap division, so there's that silly rule. They couldn't even sell out their stadium for that series? Where are their fans?

But, when I see the White Sox, they look very loose and looked to be having lots of fun. They look like a team that is playing with nothing to lose because no one, and I mean NO ONE, at the beginning of the season, predicted them to be where they are. In Vegas terms, they look like they are playing with house money. This is not a knock. It is an observation. This could make them a danger to other teams who face more pressure from their own fans and media. The White Sox are a likeable team.

And to be honest. They did get a break with an opening series against the Astros with the winner getting to play Cleveland instead of a team from the AL East. But those are the rules. I am talking about that break and several Chicago sportswriters and media people said the same thing even before I did.

But this isn't sour grapes. It is reality. Personally, I am glad Houston is gone. Good for the White Sox.
Actually, they have won something. Their first playoff series in 21 years!
 

GMAN81

Junior
Aug 21, 2013
1,787
314
83
Actually, they have won something. Their first playoff series in 21 years!
Well, it's only been 7644 days between the two. But, who's counting? LOL. I would love to see the Yankees and White Sox meet in the ALCS. It would be the first time the two teams have met in postseason play. It's never happened before and I could cross off another first time ever event that happened in my lifetime.
 

GMAN81

Junior
Aug 21, 2013
1,787
314
83
He's got another great one from tonight
I saw it on MLB. Good stuff. I do like Murakami a lot. Good left-handed power. Built for Yankee Stadium. Hopefully they can acquire him when the White Sox decide not to pay him what he's worth at the time. ;);)
 

McCaravan

All-American
Feb 1, 2016
5,287
8,245
113
I saw it on MLB. Good stuff. I do like Murakami a lot. Good left-handed power. Built for Yankee Stadium. Hopefully they can acquire him when the White Sox decide not to pay him what he's worth at the time. ;);)
Hopefully Justin Ishba will start helping him with some of the financial decisions and pay some players before Jerry hands him the reigns fully.....or very possibly dies with him in his 90's.......Sox fans are beyond frustrated with his failure to spend money. This years team is a common tale in being a Sox fan. Every year we develop a crew of young players and they go on a brief run and then they go elsewhere for bigger money, then we suffer for 5 or 6 years then we do it again. Andrew Benetendi has the largest contract ever at 5 years 75 million if you want to let that set in.....all that said I remain a loyal fan with optimism that the new owner to be will start calling more shots in the spending...

Also, hurts to say this, but from a business standpoint the financial decisions Reinsdorf makes, while gut wrenching and frustrating, are smart business decisions. Paying a player 300 million for what he did the first 7 years of his career knowing that your getting him as he begins his decline is not the best move from a financial point....and I know we don't have Yankee or Dodger money.....but for once I'd like him to swing for the fence on a player. We are a big city organization, reward the fans with competitive baseball and big name players and they will come fill the seats.
 

SiuCubFan8

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2007
6,331
4,115
113
Glad Sox beat a bad Astros team. Interesting to see how CLE is after a little break after ending reg season pretty hot. Should be a good series.
 

SiuCubFan8

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2007
6,331
4,115
113
That is good. But in the big picture, they haven't won anything yet.

I was texting a very good friend who has been a Cub fan his whole life. He told me the Cubs don't play with any emotion like the White Sox. Can't speak about the Cubs. But I did watch much of the Houston, White Sox games. And I had a few observations.

First, Houston sucks and really didn't belong in the playoffs. But, they won a crap division, so there's that silly rule. They couldn't even sell out their stadium for that series? Where are their fans?

But, when I see the White Sox, they look very loose and looked to be having lots of fun. They look like a team that is playing with nothing to lose because no one, and I mean NO ONE, at the beginning of the season, predicted them to be where they are. In Vegas terms, they look like they are playing with house money. This is not a knock. It is an observation. This could make them a danger to other teams who face more pressure from their own fans and media. The White Sox are a likeable team.

And to be honest. They did get a break with an opening series against the Astros with the winner getting to play Cleveland instead of a team from the AL East. But those are the rules. I am talking about that break and several Chicago sportswriters and media people said the same thing even before I did.

But this isn't sour grapes. It is reality. Personally, I am glad Houston is gone. Good for the White Sox.
You score 1 run in two games and every team looks like they have no emotion. They played with plenty of emotion during year, that’s silly to say otherwise. They were hot/cold all year no middle. Cold teams look lifeless…no matter the team.
 

GMAN81

Junior
Aug 21, 2013
1,787
314
83
You score 1 run in two games and every team looks like they have no emotion. They played with plenty of emotion during year, that’s silly to say otherwise. They were hot/cold all year no middle. Cold teams look lifeless…no matter the team.
I am not the one saying this. I didn't watch one full Cub game. But, I trust my friend who has seen most of them. He doesn't like Swanson at all. And I trust his words. It is all just an opinion. I have also heard media people saying the same thing. Opinion. As far as the games with SD, I think what he was saying was they didn't come out with any emption. Lifeless, to me, suggests giving up. And he did say they gave up several times this year.
 

GMAN81

Junior
Aug 21, 2013
1,787
314
83
Hopefully Justin Ishba will start helping him with some of the financial decisions and pay some players before Jerry hands him the reigns fully.....or very possibly dies with him in his 90's.......Sox fans are beyond frustrated with his failure to spend money. This years team is a common tale in being a Sox fan. Every year we develop a crew of young players and they go on a brief run and then they go elsewhere for bigger money, then we suffer for 5 or 6 years then we do it again. Andrew Benetendi has the largest contract ever at 5 years 75 million if you want to let that set in.....all that said I remain a loyal fan with optimism that the new owner to be will start calling more shots in the spending...

Also, hurts to say this, but from a business standpoint the financial decisions Reinsdorf makes, while gut wrenching and frustrating, are smart business decisions. Paying a player 300 million for what he did the first 7 years of his career knowing that your getting him as he begins his decline is not the best move from a financial point....and I know we don't have Yankee or Dodger money.....but for once I'd like him to swing for the fence on a player. We are a big city organization, reward the fans with competitive baseball and big name players and they will come fill the seats.
It has been said many times by me. The White Sox are a big market team that operates like a middle market team. And I think the White Sox are the only team that hasn't given a player a nine-figure contract. It isn't just the money. For years the Angels spent a lot of money and won nothing. Didn't even come close most of the time. If we were speaking face-to-face I would give my opinion behind the contracts Reinsdorf offers. But here, someone might take offense and get their feeling hurt.
 
Edgy Tim

Latest

  1. 01 On3 Football Northwestern's new era: Inside the first game at New Ryan Field
  2. 02 Rivals Football Recruiting Rivals Riser: Illinois WR commit Bennett Konkey earns his fourth star
  3. 03 CaneSport football recruiting Power ranking the five best Miami recruits I saw on the road in September
  4. 04 Badger Blitz Football Following a Devastating Drop, Darrion Dupree Bounced Back to Spark Win at Penn State
  5. 05 Edgy Tim Football Preview: Week 7 Top Games to Watch