According to rivals

D

DiamondReb1083

I think Curtis deserved first team but Rhodes had a great senior season too. Curtis led the SEC in double doubles and led the nation in offensive rebounding. He was near the top in the nation at field goal percentage and led the SEC in that category going away. Curtis was also in the top 12 in the conference in FT percentage which is big for a big man. That's not to take anything away from Rhodes as he had a great senior season and did outscore Curtis on the season. I'm glad to see him go as he has killed Ole Miss over the past few years. It was pretty neat to see him get taken out of his last game and kiss the floor and hug the coaches and all that. Very cool thing to watch on tv.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
the stats are alot closer than I thought. Rhodes went 17pts, 8 rebounds. Curtis went 15pts, 9 rebounds. But those stats are for the year. I would love to see the stats broken out for SEC play. Seems like Rhodes had far better stats there.

D

DiamondReb1083

Rhodes went for about 18 and 8 while Curtis went for about 14 and 10. Averaging a double double in SEC play is quality and so is 18 points per game. Rhodes is obviously a much better athlete but Curtis uses angles and body position better than almost anyone. You really couldn't go wrong with either player. Again Curtis averaged more than a full offensive rebound better than even the second best in the leauge. That's pretty strong. Field goal percentage and offensive rebounding puts Curtis over the top to me but again very close.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
but they are being rated based on performance, not potential. I'd probably put Rhodes ahead of Curtis, but statistically, Curtis was pretty close to Rhodes and performed better in some areas. He just does it playing below the rim and close to the basket, and he's not flashy. Rhodes can make a defender look stupid. Curtis has never really made anyone look stupid. He's just efficient. Curtis will be lucky to play in Europe. Rhodes will at worst be in the NBDL.

Point being, based on their senior years alone, I could see an argument for either one, though I'd probably take Rhodes by a nose.

HighPointDawg

Feb 9, 2005
I think Curtis is well deserving.. he's carried that team on his back a number of times .... Rhodes is a monster but there were a number of games he was absent from... Maybe a slight in the rankings will motivate him...

Plus this is just one opinion guys.

M

MsuD00D

Agreed. And you have to give a hand to Curtis. He's a Mario Austin type under the basket player who's had to play center for undersized teams at Auburn and Ole Miss for 4 years. What he did on the boards for his career without much jumping ability has been pretty amazing.

Charles has been great in his own right. If he was on a team of nobodies, he'd probably be the SEC leading scorer. I think he really took off this year because he didn't have to be the "big" in a 4 guard lineup. For that, I think you really have to hand it to Jarvis for really stepping up a being the presence we needed down low and allowing Charles to open up his game at the 4.

WillemWallace

Feb 20, 2008
I don't see one or the other as a "better player," rather as both having different skill sets.

Rhodes is a guy that can step back and demand to be guarded from 15 feet. He's athletic, can run and dunk, adequate passer, but has a more slight frame that can be overpowered by the bigger players underneath. He's also very long so, even when tightly guarded by a bigger man, he can still get his shot off.

Curtis is a guy that likes to get it on the block and work angles under the basket. He can hit the 13-15 ft jumper, but its not a skill he likes to use. He would rather push you into the paint or spin off you and use bank shots. Because of his size and strength, he's rarely out of position on rebounds and has a good sense of where it will come off, both of which allowed him to lead the nation in offensive rebounding. He's an adequate passer. His size is somewhat limited to his body, as he's not long-armed like Rhodes and Varnado.

Of course, Rhodes is more tailor-made for the NBA game and Curtis is more of a guy that excels in college, but doesn't the skill sets that the league is looking for.</p>