All it took was one bad season, and the sports media

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
talks about State like they're Vandy:

Mississippi State​

How does Jeff Lebby acclimate? Given his track record as an assistant and success as an offensive coordinator at multiple stops, it's no surprise that Lebby is getting his first shot as a head coach in a high-profile conference like the SEC. But, it is that experience that may cause some apprehension about Lebby's first year. He's never been a head coach at any level, and now he inherits a Mississippi State program that is on its third coach since December 2022 following the tragic death of Mike Leach. With the likes of Texas, Georgia, Missouri and, of course, Ole Miss on the schedule in his first two years, this spring is crucial for Lebby as he looks to establish an early identity, install his gameplan and rally a Bulldogs team that's fallen on hard times in recent years.
I had hoped we were past that - going to 13 straight bowls under three different coaches - but alas.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You have such a hard on for trying to trash Leach. I’m sorry he didn’t wear his covid mask as well as you would’ve liked.
WTH? I didn't like Leach's offense and i said that before we hired him. I hated having to watch the original when we played Kentucky back in the day. It was always going to be a bad thing when Leach left, no matter the reason. NOBODY runs HIS offense anymore. The transition was always going to be difficult. I pointed this out when we hired him. It's THE main reason I didn't want to hire him.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

I had hoped we were past that - going to 13 straight bowls under three different coaches - but alas.

To be fair they are probably including Leach’s death as part of the “hard times”, which it was. Our only Top 25 finish since 2017 came in a season where our coach passed away before the bowl game. Yeah, this has been a rough few years. Dan left almost seven years ago now, in fact.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

We were very much like Vandy last season and I don't see a whole lot wrong or untruthful in that quote you posted. 86 teams went to a bowl last season (9 from the SEC) , it isn't as big an accomplishment as it was years ago so when you don't go now its a big deal

Reactions: 17itdawg and patdog

Nugdawg

Mar 3, 2008
WTH? I didn't like Leach's offense and i said that before we hired him. I hated having to watch the original when we played Kentucky back in the day. It was always going to be a bad thing when Leach left, no matter the reason. NOBODY runs HIS offense anymore. The transition was always going to be difficult. I pointed this out when we hired him. It's THE main reason I didn't want to hire him.
This is such BS

Reactions: 85Bears

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I’m with you. The air raid cult is alive and well on this board, so speaking out against the Leach tenure takes bravery. The truth is difficult to hear sometimes.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Leach didn’t leave us in a good spot. His recruiting and reputation on the recruiting trail wasn’t great. We compounded that with hiring Arnett. Now we are here. Save us Lebby
They can gripe about whatever coach they want to put the blame on... the fact is we did not recruit any personnel to work with long-term. I hope Coach Lebby will start to fix the situation because it will take a little while unless he can do miracles with the portal. We will see if he can or not.

Reactions: L4Dawg and patdog

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
The Bellarmine Knights! That school is half a mile from my house. Nice but small campus. Very hilly.
Pretty strong basketball program, upgraded to D1 a few years ago. Won the D2 Nat Champ 2011.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
The Bellarmine Knights! That school is half a mile from my house. Nice but small campus. Very hilly.
Pretty strong basketball program, upgraded to D1 a few years ago. Won the D2 Nat Champ 2011.
And they ran an offense noone else runs! How can that be possible?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We had fallen on hard times. We have had one good season since Moorhead left. This is also the unavoidable aftermath of Mike Leach.
The years after Leach at Texas Tech, Tommy T went 7-5, 5-7, 7-5. Hardly a terrible aftermath.

The years after Leach at Washington State, you had COVID year, 7-5, 7-5. Hardly a terrible aftermath.

Your agenda is stupid. I think you are mad that your RuN dA bAwL muh MiKe WrIgHt shtick has been exposed.

Not to mention we had 3 bowl seasons with Leach, after Moorhead, which claim aren't good years. 2020 was the equivalent of a 5-7 or 6-6 type year in a regular schedule. Then 7-5 and 8-4. Stop being a moron.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
dusty rhodes GIF

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
To be fair, the media did everything in their power to dismiss any success we’ve had since 2010. Outside of one or two offseasons, we haven’t received any love.
While I admit it has been frustrating at times, I also kinda get it. We had a great bowl streak, but we've only finished above .500 in the SEC one time (2014) since 2010. We had been consistently solid, but not the type of program that's gonna garner much hype from national media.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The years after Leach at Texas Tech, Tommy T went 7-5, 5-7, 7-5. Hardly a terrible aftermath.

The years after Leach at Washington State, you had COVID year, 7-5, 7-5. Hardly a terrible aftermath.

Your agenda is stupid. I think you are mad that your RuN dA bAwL muh MiKe WrIgHt shtick has been exposed.

Not to mention we had 3 bowl seasons with Leach, after Moorhead, which claim aren't good years. 2020 was the equivalent of a 5-7 or 6-6 type year in a regular schedule. Then 7-5 and 8-4. Stop being a moron.
Nope, I'm not a run the ball guy either. I'm a "you have to do both" guy. One dimensional offense doesn't really work against good modern defenses, and it is totally boring to watch. You need to stop putting words in other's mouths so you can argue with them.

• Haha
Reactions: 85Bears

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nope, I'm not a run the ball guy either. I'm a "you have to do both" guy. One dimensional offense doesn't really work against good modern defenses, and it is totally boring to watch. You need to stop putting words in other's mouths so you can argue with them.
I am arguing with your exact words about the Leach aftermath. The rest was an insult.

Nobody ever seems to remember that it was Leach's passing that opened up the offense and created those gaping holes to run through. Funny how last year, when we stopped that and started running first, those holes disappeared. WEIRD HUH? And ya'll morons were talking about 'modified' Air Raid, WTF does that even mean? We'd have a QB that could run? That's not a modified Air Raid, that's an Air Raid with a QB that can run. It's that simple. Or you say we need to run with the ball more when the lanes are there? That's not an modified Air Raid, that's an Air Raid that runs the ball more.

Another reason why we'll never have a sustained program. Our fans don't know how to judge it, and continue to want to follow blueprints that don't work for us.

Can't wait to watch Joe Moorhead 2 err uhh I mean Jeffy Lebby and his offensive whizardry savantage. This shlt ain't that difficult and ya'll get wrapped up in offensive names. 'Offensive mind', that's such a talking heads term. Do any of you here honestly think Lane Kiffin or any of these coaches are actually smarter than you? It's other skills that make a great coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSUDAWGFAN

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I am arguing with your exact words about the Leach aftermath. The rest was an insult.

Nobody ever seems to remember that it was Leach's passing that opened up the offense and created those gaping holes to run through. Funny how last year, when we stopped that and started running first, those holes disappeared. WEIRD HUH? And ya'll morons were talking about 'modified' Air Raid, WTF does that even mean? We'd have a QB that could run? That's not a modified Air Raid, that's an Air Raid with a QB that can run. It's that simple. Or you say we need to run with the ball more when the lanes are there? That's not an modified Air Raid, that's an Air Raid that runs the ball more.

Another reason why we'll never have a sustained program. Our fans don't know how to judge the program, and continue to want to follow blueprints that don't work for us.

Can't wait to watch Joe Moorhead 2 err uhh I mean Jeffy Lebby and his offensive whizardry savantage.
I've always said if we do what every team with more money, bigger fanbase, better facilities do, we will lose every time. We have to do different. We should embrace different. And different can work. Just as Billy Beane and the Oakland A's.

But we have fans who think if we aren't running what everyone else does, we are doomed to fail. We may fail, but different at least gives us a shot.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We're not Vandy. But the last 5 years haven't set the world on fire. 6-7, 4-7, 7-6, 9-4, 5-7. Unfortunately, this is probably closer to our "real" normal than 2009-2017 were.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Nobody ever seems to remember that it was Leach's passing that opened up the offense and created those gaping holes to run through.
We averaged 43.9 rushing yds PER GAME in '20
63.2 rushing yds PER GAME in '21
81.7 rushing yds PER GAME in '22

We may have made it to 100 yds/game last season if Leach had still been around.

What are these "gaping holes" you speak of used for?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We're not Vandy. But the last 5 years haven't set the world on fire. 6-7, 4-7, 7-6, 9-4, 5-7. Unfortunately, this is probably closer to our "real" normal than 2009-2017 were.
The Leach years were exactly like the Mullen years. Stands to reason that Leach would eventually have that big up year too just like Mullen had.

You keep saying the 2020 4-7 (actually 3-7) is the same as a typical year's 12 game schedule, it's like you have a mental block regarding why they are different.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog and 85Bears

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Another reason why we'll never have a sustained program. Our fans don't know how to judge it, and continue to want to follow blueprints that don't work for us.

Can't wait to watch Joe Moorhead 2 err uhh I mean Jeffy Lebby and his offensive whizardry savantage. This shlt ain't that difficult and ya'll get wrapped up in offensive names. 'Offensive mind', that's such a talking heads term. Do any of you here honestly think Lane Kiffin or any of these coaches are actually smarter than you? It's other skills that make a great coach.
What about Lebby's offense makes you automatically assume its a blueprint that won't work for us?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What about Lebby's offense makes you automatically assume its a blueprint that won't work for us?
That was mainly me being negative. It may, and I hope it does. But to-date, this offseason, the whole thing has struck me as Moorheadish.

Any offense works if you get the players you need to run it. That's the question. I also wondered if Leach could actually do that in Mississippi as well, but he went out and found the QBs and OLs needed. But so did Moorhead, right? The bigger differences in Leach (another offensive whiz/savant) and Moorhead were the way they ran the program, how they implemented systems, discipline, etc.

Which side will Lebby be on?

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Leach didn’t leave us in a good spot. His recruiting and reputation on the recruiting trail wasn’t great. We compounded that with hiring Arnett. Now we are here. Save us Lebby
You’re full of crap, Leach didn’t lead this program to hard times, tearing down everything Leach built led to hard times. You and L4 led the charge applauding Leachs staff getting fired and look what happened. so dishonest.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
You have such a hard on for trying to trash Leach. I’m sorry he didn’t wear his covid mask as well as you would’ve liked.
Truth, you’d think they would have some shame or remorse. the very people who cheered on the demise of the program.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We averaged 43.9 rushing yds PER GAME in '20
63.2 rushing yds PER GAME in '21
81.7 rushing yds PER GAME in '22

We may have made it to 100 yds/game last season if Leach had still been around.

What are these "gaping holes" you speak of used for?
Exactly.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The Leach years were exactly like the Mullen years. Stands to reason that Leach would eventually have that big up year too just like Mullen had.

You keep saying the 2020 4-7 (actually 3-7) is the same as a typical year's 12 game schedule, it's like you have a mental block regarding why they are different.
No they weren't. 😂

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That was mainly me being negative. It may, and I hope it does. But to-date, this offseason, the whole thing has struck me as Moorheadish.

Any offense works if you get the players you need to run it. That's the question. I also wondered if Leach could actually do that in Mississippi as well, but he went out and found the QBs and OLs needed. But so did Moorhead, right? The bigger differences in Leach (another offensive whiz/savant) and Moorhead were the way they ran the program, how they implemented systems, discipline, etc.

Which side will Lebby be on?
How exactly have you arrived at that? We haven't played a single game yet. I'm laughing at you.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You’re full of crap, Leach didn’t lead this program to hard times, tearing down everything Leach built led to hard times. You and L4 led the charge applauding Leachs staff getting fired and look what happened. so dishonest.
Nope. I was neither here nor there on that. I can understand why he wanted to do it. I can also understand why he should have kept a few.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Nope. I was neither here nor there on that. I can understand why he wanted to do it. I can also understand why he should have kept a few.
Sure. I read too many of your posts trashing Leach, including after his egg bowl win. you’ve got a problem with him that goes beyond football.

Reactions: Bulldawg77

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Sure. I read too many of your posts trashing Leach, including after his egg bowl win. you’ve got a problem with him that goes beyond football.
Nope, I just loathed the pure air raid offense. It's like watching paint dry to me. I've been very plain about that since long before we ever hired Leach.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nope, I just loathed the pure air raid offense. It's like watching paint dry to me. I've been very plain about that since long before we ever hired Leach.
From most of your opinions over the years, you enjoy watching MSU lose. But you are not alone in the mouth-breather brigade, that is for sure. So you have safety in numbers.

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
From most of your opinions over the years, you enjoy watching MSU lose. But you are not alone in the mouth-breather brigade, that is for sure. So you have safety in numbers.
It's not like we set the world on fire with the air raid man. I will never understand the air raid cult.

Reactions: retire the banner

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's not like we set the world on fire with the air raid man. I will never understand the air raid cult.
Well you've never been big on logic and reason.

If Leach could go the equivalent of 6-6 during the COVID year, then 7-5 and 8-4 with Will Rogers and a bunch of inherited players, no telling how high we could have gone once he got all players in here who were totally his recruits.