Amateur Athletics is Officially Over

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
Fans will foot the bill, of course, for increased costs of sharing revenue.
Well Congress is fully involved now, things should get better and prices should go down now right? :ROFLMAO: And can't wait for Congress to start fully regulating college "semi-pro" sports. Perhaps a whole new Congressional committee should be formed, I mean we have to make sure nothing illegal occurs. :ROFLMAO: This can only get worse from here. Sad. Well be prepared for more calls and junk mail from USC wanting more donations so they can "keep up with the Jones's", i.e. Bama, UGA, on and on.

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
Hard to believe where we have come from just a few years ago. It's all Pay to Play now, semi-pro sports. Maybe old news but I just saw it this evening.
Do they have to go to classes?
Do they even have to meet the school’s entrance requirements?
Just have a semipro team representing the school?

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
Do they have to go to classes?
Do they even have to meet the school’s entrance requirements?
Just have a semipro team representing the school?
Idk, but this sets the stage for all athletes to get equal pay, just like we all said. Same $ for the equestrians, the volleyball players, and the football players, it's only fair. I guess this will finally kill the sports programs at the smaller schools. I don't understand why the athletes are still tied to the University, like you said, just start semi-pro teams in prospective cities. Well, dig deep, they need their checks

Reactions: USCEDGE

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Idk, but this sets the stage for all athletes to get equal pay, just like we all said. Same $ for the equestrians, the volleyball players, and the football players, it's only fair. I guess this will finally kill the sports programs at the smaller schools. I don't understand why the athletes are still tied to the University, like you said, just start semi-pro teams in prospective cities. Well, dig deep, they need their checks
Yep, Title IX will ensure that. Some athletes are obviously having the wool pulled over their eyes, thinking they are going to get a king's ransom.

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
Yep, Title IX will ensure that. Some athletes are obviously having the wool pulled over their eyes, thinking they are going to get a king's ransom.
from the article """ In the first year of the settlement, each school will be able to share 22% of average revenues, which is projected to be around $20 million per school, per year. 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐝𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐩𝐬, 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐝-𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐍𝐈𝐋 𝐩𝐚𝐲𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬, 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐡𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐟𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐞 𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐲 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐢𝐯𝐞.""" That should be a pretty good chunk of change for a college athlete, dividing up $20 million, and that will only go higher, whole new world now. Not my kind of entertainment.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
from the article """ In the first year of the settlement, each school will be able to share 22% of average revenues, which is projected to be around $20 million per school, per year. 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐝𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐩𝐬, 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐝-𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐍𝐈𝐋 𝐩𝐚𝐲𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬, 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐡𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐟𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐞 𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐲 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐢𝐯𝐞.""" That should be a pretty good chunk of change for a college athlete, dividing up $20 million, and that will only go higher, whole new world now. Not my kind of entertainment.
But that $20M will have to be spread out over all student-athletes. That's quite a few people...but it will be a lot for a student....a lot more than I ever recieved interning while a student.

Also, I have a feeling a lot of ADs will be trying to find new employment. Who the hell wants to manage an already paper thin budget with another $20M being taken out of the general budget and dedicated to student-athletes. Guess this will put an end to the facilities arms race or put a good damper on it.

Reactions: Patriot321

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
My concern is for the young ones. I'm already seeing a lot of cases where travelball is wanting more money to teach little Johnny the skills he'll need to make the big bucks. I'm seeing pitching and hitting coaches wanting more for private lessons... wanting their piece of the pie now. This is going to a bad place. Out of hand quick. These organizations and coaches are no better than they were a few years ago, they just demand more because it's the trend

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
My concern is for the young ones. I'm already seeing a lot of cases where travelball is wanting more money to teach little Johnny the skills he'll need to make the big bucks. I'm seeing pitching and hitting coaches wanting more for private lessons... wanting their piece of the pie now. This is going to a bad place. Out of hand quick
Agree.....what the heck happened to Legion ball. We got pretty good coaching often from college coaches.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I just cannot see how jettisoning the student-athlete model leads schools in a direction harmonious with their purpose. It's like crossing an elephant with a giraffe.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The NCAA could legally do something like do away with full scholarships, right? Or the universities? Band together and only offer partial scholarships for football and basketball? Ok, maybe with all the money they rake in they have some moral obligation to share it with the students, but not so for scholarships. Many student athletes are already only on partial scholarship. Call it revenue sharing if you want, but it's basically a salary and they are now employees. Why should they get a salary on top of a full scholarship with room, board and tuition? I don't think they could be legally forced to offer full scholarships could they?

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
The NCAA could legally do something like do away with full scholarships, right? Or the universities? Band together and only offer partial scholarships for football and basketball? Ok, maybe with all the money they rake in they have some moral obligation to share it with the students, but not so for scholarships. Many student athletes are already only on partial scholarship. Call it revenue sharing if you want, but it's basically a salary and they are now employees. Why should they get a salary on top of a full scholarship with room, board and tuition? I don't think they could be legally forced to offer full scholarships could they?
You're right 18, but some programs will, so basically the school with the most money will win! It was fun while it lasted!

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Per one site, USC has 716 student athletes. $20 million distributed among them equally would mean $27,932/student. Is a member of the swimming team really gonna get $28 grand? Crazy.

SC95

Joined Mar 31, 2008
Jan 31, 2022
Per one site, USC has 716 student athletes. $20 million distributed among them equally would mean $27,932/student. Is a member of the swimming team really gonna get $28 grand? Crazy.
Will colleges cut lesser men's sports to direct more money to "priority" teams.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Will colleges cut lesser men's sports to direct more money to "priority" teams.

There is already a proposal to eliminate walk-ons in college football and cut roster sizes down to 85-95 players, a direct byproduct of revenue sharing.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
What a mess this whole thing is:

"Though college athletes are not yet considered employees, LeRoy and Konidaris said a legal argument could be made that direct school-to-athlete payments push athletes to the brink of being employees and that Title VII could apply.

“They’re going to have in the settlement the idea (that) this isn’t employment,” LeRoy said. “Then what you’re doing is saying a multibillion-dollar industry called NCAA Athletics is going to be treated differently than any other business in America. You cannot have separate pay.”"

And...

"Another New York civil rights attorney, Christina Stylianou, said her first instinct is that Title IX would not apply because athletes would be essentially be selling their media rights to their school. That said, Stylianou expects the Title IX question to be heavily litigated."

And...

"If the schools opt to not handle payments in-house and leave athlete compensation to booster-backed collectives eager to connect athletes and sponsorship money, that could be a way to get around Title IX regulations."

This decision really only creates about 100 more problems that now have to be figured out.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Probably an unpopular take on here, but; Alllllllllll of this crap so the poor student athletes could sell their autographs. Once they let that snowball start rolling, what idiots couldn't see this mess coming??

I believe some people saw it coming and welcomed it.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
I have been advocating doing away with scholarships and requiring them to pay their own tuition, room and board, etc.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I don't know how all of this will shake out, but I can't envision a good outcome from the standpoint of college sports and the fans who love them.

I do know this: Until I know my own kid will be able to graduate from college (to include grad school, if that is in the cards) without any student loans, I will not contribute a dime so that another college "student" can drive a Range Rover while in "school." My priorities are not always properly arranged, but they aren't turned backwards.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't know how all of this will shake out, but I can't envision a good outcome from the standpoint of college sports and the fans who love them.

I do know this: Until I know my own kid will be able to graduate from college (to include grad school, if that is in the cards) without any student loans, I will not contribute a dime so that another college "student" can drive a Range Rover while in "school." My priorities are not always properly arranged, but they aren't turned backwards.

The best thing that could happen, but won't happen, is for the whole system to just implode and then start over again from scratch.

The problem is, there are a good number of "fans" who will watch no matter what. Even if it got to point, which no longer seems absurd, where players aren't even enrolled at the school for which they play, many would still tune in, pay up and cheer on the team.

The real ones in control here are the fans. I've said it all along, and I've been mocked for it on here. All of these seismic changes being made are being made under the assumption that they can take the fans' support for granted. They fully believe, and probably rightly so, that they can make whatever changes they want and fans will still tune in and show up for games. They count on, and fully expect, fans to continue mindlessly and dutifully supporting college athletics.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I don't like it. I don't like what college athletics has evolved to: NIL, Transfer Portal and now this. But I'm not surprised. We can all "thank" the unelected, lifetime appointed Supreme Court. This is a 40-year story. It began on June 27, 1984 when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Oklahoma and Georgia, saying that institutions owned their television rights and that the NCAA's television contracts violated federal antitrust laws. All of us know about the gigantic television contracts awarded to the SEC and the BIG. There's a reason that Florida State and Clemson want out of the ACC. Thus this agreement by the NCAA and the conferences is a 40-year story in the making. I'm not surprised by the outcome. They obviously concluded that an academic scholarship does not come anywhere near close to compensating athletes for the revenue they generate.

I don't know what all that will do to ticket prices. It does not matter to me because I attend only one game per year. But make no mistake about it. What it costs sponsors to pay the networks for televising games is passed on to consumers.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't like it. I don't like what college athletics has evolved to: NIL, Transfer Portal and now this. But I'm not surprised. We can all "thank" the unelected, lifetime appointed Supreme Court. This is a 40-year story. It began on June 27, 1984 when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Oklahoma and Georgia, saying that institutions owned their television rights and that the NCAA's television contracts violated federal antitrust laws. All of us know about the gigantic television contracts awarded to the SEC and the BIG. There's a reason that Florida State and Clemson want out of the ACC. Thus this agreement by the NCAA and the conferences is a 40-year story in the making. I'm not surprised by the outcome. They obviously concluded that an academic scholarship does not come anywhere near close to compensating athletes for the revenue they generate.

I don't know what all that will do to ticket prices. It does not matter to me because I attend only one game per year. But make no mistake about it. What it costs sponsors to pay the networks for televising games is passed on to consumers.
And you can really thank a probation office. Much of this was kicked off with Ed O'Bannon's lawsuit. His pro career tanked so he pitched a tantrum and sued the NCAA.

To your latter statement: Increased costs of doing business are always passed onto the consumer. Always. In this case, the consumer is the fan.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
The problem is, there are a good number of "fans" who will watch no matter what. Even if it got to point, which no longer seems absurd, where players aren't even enrolled at the school for which they play, many would still tune in, pay up and cheer on the team.
Many will, but I think the rabidity that we've become used to in college fanbases will be diminished significantly over time. To some extent, I think we're already seeing that as conferences and college programs are catering their product more to the casual national college football fan than the rabid local fanbases of two teams who are natural and traditional rivals. I don't think turning those programs into AAA pro teams will do anything to increase fan loyalty. Worst case scenario, they eventually start drawing AAA-sized in-person crowds, but NFL-sized TV viewers.

Reactions: BunchOfNobodies

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Many will, but I think the rabidity that we've become used to in college fanbases will be diminished significantly over time. To some extent, I think we're already seeing that as conferences and college programs are catering their product more to the casual national college football fan than the rabid local fanbases of two teams who are natural and traditional rivals. I don't think turning those programs into AAA pro teams will do anything to increase fan loyalty. Worst case scenario, they eventually start drawing AAA-sized in-person crowds, but NFL-sized TV viewers.

I am there somewhat. One some level, I still love college football...or at least what used to be college football. But I can also take it or leave it in many cases now.

Reactions: Uscg1984

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Maybe we all need to look in the mirror regarding greed. The players and former players are greedy. The schools are greedy.

I don't know about other fans but I'm greedy. But, that's me.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I am there somewhat. One some level, I still love college football...or at least what used to be college football. But I can also take it or leave it in many cases now.
I agree. It will never be as meaningful to me as it used to be.

Years ago, college football was the centerpiece of fall for me. Now, ironically, the fact that fall is such a great time of year makes it easier for me to pull away. In the south, especially, fall is the only time of year when outdoors activities like camping and golfing are enjoyable at any time of the day.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Maybe we all need to look in the mirror regarding greed. The players and former players are greedy. The schools are greedy.

I don't know about other fans but I'm greedy. But, that's me.

Yes. Guilty all. We love being able to see every one of our team's games on TV. I can't say, though, that I love college football more now that I did back in the JP days, though. Just the opposite, actually. But I gobbled it up like a greedy piglet.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Yeah, it's not the kind of thing that could work if only some schools did it.

There's just zero rationale for why they should get revenue sharing AND full scholarships.
Other than the competition aspect of recruiting.