Amateur Athletics is Officially Over

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
I have been advocating doing away with scholarships and requiring them to pay their own tuition, room and board, etc.
Not sure what the difference is if you cut out all their benefits, but then pay them a salary large enough to take care of that anyway?

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
The best thing that could happen, but won't happen, is for the whole system to just implode and then start over again from scratch.

The problem is, there are a good number of "fans" who will watch no matter what. Even if it got to point, which no longer seems absurd, where players aren't even enrolled at the school for which they play, many would still tune in, pay up and cheer on the team.

The real ones in control here are the fans. I've said it all along, and I've been mocked for it on here. All of these seismic changes being made are being made under the assumption that they can take the fans' support for granted. They fully believe, and probably rightly so, that they can make whatever changes they want and fans will still tune in and show up for games. They count on, and fully expect, fans to continue mindlessly and dutifully supporting college athletics.
Hit the nail on the head.

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
Not sure what the difference is if you cut out all their benefits, but then pay them a salary large enough to take care of that anyway?
It may not represent much change with regards to dollars and cents. But if these guys are making big money by playing football, then they should be able to pay their own way to college - if that's what they want to do. And relieve fans from contributing to scholarships (although, there will probably always be some sort of fan participation to the athletic coffers).

Its all so messed up now that I can't even think of decent solutions any longer.

Last edited:

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Its all so messed up now that I can't even think of decent solutions any longer.
I just hope the NCAAs planned separation of the P5 schools with their own administration, rules, and regulations helps save the smaller schools. If the NCAA can bring them back much closer to the original amateur model, it may be enough to save them. The P5 are digging their own graves for the want of $$$….and they may just find out what the total cost is.

Last edited:

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
I just hope the NCAAs planned separation of the P5 schools with there own administration, rules, and regulations helps save the smaller schools. If the NCAA can bring them back much closer to the original amateur model, it may be enough to save them. The P5 are digging their own graves for the want of $$$….and they may just find out what the total cost is.
I may become a fan of smaller programs, like my hometown University of Richmond, if things go south with the P5.

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
It may not represent much change with regards to dollars and cents. But if these guys are making big money by playing football, then they should be able to pay their own way to college - if that's what they want to do. And relieve fans from contributing to scholarships (although, there will probably always be some sort of fan participation to the athletic coffers).

I agree with you, let them pay their own way. And they are busy now in Congress screwing this up even worse, now making sure they aren't considered actual employees of the university, so that the athletes don't have to pay taxes on their earnings. Who in their right mind thinks it's right or a good thing to give athletes $30K a year, tax free, plus free room and board, plus meals, plus a free scholarship, plus NIL money, plus the right to leave the school through the portal at the end of the year? This is insanity, it's like a welfare program on steroids and we are paying! We are creating a bunch of spoiled, overpaid, cocky, prima donna athletes, and remember, this isn't just football, the volleyball players will get the $30K as well. So get your checkbooks out if you support this nonsense, I'm done contributing.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I agree with you, let them pay their own way. And they are busy now in Congress screwing this up even worse, now making sure they aren't considered actual employees of the university, so that the athletes don't have to pay taxes on their earnings. Who in their right mind thinks it's right or a good thing to give athletes $30K a year, tax free, plus free room and board, plus meals, plus a free scholarship, plus NIL money, plus the right to leave the school through the portal at the end of the year? This is insanity, it's like a welfare program on steroids and we are paying! We are creating a bunch of spoiled, overpaid, cocky, prima donna athletes, and remember, this isn't just football, the volleyball players will get the $30K as well. So get your checkbooks out if you support this nonsense, I'm done contributing.
University employees don't pay taxes? I did not know that.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Cockywilder

May 13, 2024
Thursday made it official. The NCAA and the government reached a $2.7 billion settlement over the House v. NCAA antitrust suit. Major conferences approved the agreement.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Fans will foot the bill, of course, for increased costs of sharing revenue.
Nope…it’s my choice. I won’t be donating to any entity where players can con such entities annually. Quinn Ewers and Juice Wells come to mind.

if a gamecock sporting event is on, I will watch it and pull for my team. Supporting greedy athletes in college who already received way more than the average student is just not my thing. I paid my way through college, and I paid off my student loans. Took me 10 years. Now I’m supposed to worry about whether or not our quarterback can drive a Mercedes or not? I don’t think so.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
That's not the issue. They will pay taxes on their earnings. What they are probably trying to preserve is that since college athletics will no longer be amateur they lose their tax exemption, which means colleges will have to pay federal and state taxes on all the revenue that the athletic department recieves. The other issue is that revenue would be considered Unrelated Business Income (unrelated to the universities exempt purpose) which can cause additional tax issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
I just hope the NCAAs planned separation of the P5 schools with their own administration, rules, and regulations helps save the smaller schools. If the NCAA can bring them back much closer to the original amateur model, it may be enough to save them. The P5 are digging their own graves for the want of $$$….and they may just find out what the total cost is.
Sorry but they are not killing anything. Maybe for those wanting the past but nothing stays the same. Views are stronger than ever and that’s how this sport is gauged. Well really any sports. I am with Joel Klatt, a better system than the old one will come out of this but several dominos have to fall. One big one just fell in the settlement. That should get the ball rolling. In the end you will see a collective bargaining agreement and rules. That will allow them to get an antitrust exemption like the NfL. I have no problems with paying the players that means nothing to me. Very few people will stop watching.

• Haha
Reactions: Patriot321

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Sorry but they are not killing anything. Maybe for those wanting the past but nothing stays the same. Views are stronger than ever and that’s how this sport is gauged. Well really any sports. I am with Joel Klatt, a better system than the old one will come out of this but several dominos have to fall. One big one just fell in the settlement. That should get the ball rolling. In the end you will see a collective bargaining agreement and rules. That will allow them to get an antitrust exemption like the NfL. I have no problems with paying the players that means nothing to me. Very few people will stop watching.
We will see how Universities will respond when Title IX and IRS issues present themselves. TAMU already scuttled one plan because the IRS began taking a harder look at it. IRS tax exempt section is very precise on what they will allow and won't. Title IX may even be a bigger threat. I don't think it's going to end pretty and as simply as most think.

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
With what’s going on in our country, will there be college athletics in 25 years?

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
That's not the issue. They will pay taxes on their earnings. What they are probably trying to preserve is that since college athletics will no longer be amateur they lose their tax exemption, which means colleges will have to pay federal and state taxes on all the revenue that the athletic department recieves. The other issue is that revenue would be considered Unrelated Business Income (unrelated to the universities exempt purpose) which can cause additional tax issues.
From what I read, Congress and others are working up a plan for these athletes to have a special status, not to be considered employees of the university, and to not have to pay any taxes on it. it's unbelievable at the bullcrap going on as they destroy college athletics, making the athletes a bunch of spoiled prima donnas. Won't get another penny from me, but they've already thrown the old school fans overboard anyway, they are targeting the younger fans, have at it, I'll save about $2000 a year.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
Sure, many will continue to watch, but we will see how many will continue sending in money to support a 5 -6 win team. I used to love the NFL, but no longer enjoy it and don't watch it, just doesn't interest me, not saying I'm in the majority, but doesn't mean any of this is right. All about $.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
Amateur Athletics was over when the NCAA, Conferences, Schools, Administration and coaches welcomed and encouraged it into becoming an over-billion-dollar industry.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
Idk, but this sets the stage for all athletes to get equal pay, just like we all said. Same $ for the equestrians, the volleyball players, and the football players, it's only fair. I guess this will finally kill the sports programs at the smaller schools. I don't understand why the athletes are still tied to the University, like you said, just start semi-pro teams in prospective cities. Well, dig deep, they need their checks
I am not sure how much Title IX will apply here. Not with it becoming a legitimate money-paying job. The workforce is typically more value-based vs even pay. Even in pro sports, pay is not even, so I do not see why it would be different with this. I guess we will all see.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
What a mess this whole thing is:

"Though college athletes are not yet considered employees, LeRoy and Konidaris said a legal argument could be made that direct school-to-athlete payments push athletes to the brink of being employees and that Title VII could apply.

“They’re going to have in the settlement the idea (that) this isn’t employment,” LeRoy said. “Then what you’re doing is saying a multibillion-dollar industry called NCAA Athletics is going to be treated differently than any other business in America. You cannot have separate pay.”"

And...

"Another New York civil rights attorney, Christina Stylianou, said her first instinct is that Title IX would not apply because athletes would be essentially be selling their media rights to their school. That said, Stylianou expects the Title IX question to be heavily litigated."

And...

"If the schools opt to not handle payments in-house and leave athlete compensation to booster-backed collectives eager to connect athletes and sponsorship money, that could be a way to get around Title IX regulations."

This decision really only creates about 100 more problems that now have to be figured out.
That is my understanding about Title IX and athletes being on a pay role. Title IX really does not apply. And there are not really any examples of people receiving paychecks under something similar to Title IX. As long as the schools maintain the current requirements of Title IX, that should be all that is required. The same amount of benefits. And with the SCOTUS stating already that a scholarship is not a monetary compensation and viewed as a benefit, as long as they continue to comply with that, it should be fine. So we will see the ones who bring in the most getting the most, as happens with just about every money-paying job.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
Now that they will essentially be employees, I can't see any justification for not doing that. At the least, it should go partial scholarships.
The only way it would work is if every NCAA team did so. And I honestly do not see that happening.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
I don't like it. I don't like what college athletics has evolved to: NIL, Transfer Portal and now this. But I'm not surprised. We can all "thank" the unelected, lifetime appointed Supreme Court. This is a 40-year story. It began on June 27, 1984 when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Oklahoma and Georgia, saying that institutions owned their television rights and that the NCAA's television contracts violated federal antitrust laws. All of us know about the gigantic television contracts awarded to the SEC and the BIG. There's a reason that Florida State and Clemson want out of the ACC. Thus this agreement by the NCAA and the conferences is a 40-year story in the making. I'm not surprised by the outcome. They obviously concluded that an academic scholarship does not come anywhere near close to compensating athletes for the revenue they generate.

I don't know what all that will do to ticket prices. It does not matter to me because I attend only one game per year. But make no mistake about it. What it costs sponsors to pay the networks for televising games is passed on to consumers.
The SCOTUS point blank said that scholarships were considered a benefit, not a monetary compensation.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
Where are you getting that the athletes will not have to pay taxes? I have not seen that anywhere. I have however seen several articles about how they pay taxes on the money they receive. The schools even have people to help them make sure they are doing it correctly.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
I do agree that the best thing they can do is set up a CBA with the players. At least then they can more easily set up some rules on everything. Like limiting transfers, hopefully making it more beneficial for players to play post-season. And it is not a matter if I like the system of old or what is coming now, like it or not, this is where we are so lets try and make the best of it. And no it is not something that is going to happen overnight. It will likely take several years of working on it. More than likely making several mistakes along the way.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
From what I read, Congress and others are working up a plan for these athletes to have a special status, not to be considered employees of the university, and to not have to pay any taxes on it. it's unbelievable at the bullcrap going on as they destroy college athletics, making the athletes a bunch of spoiled prima donnas. Won't get another penny from me, but they've already thrown the old school fans overboard anyway, they are targeting the younger fans, have at it, I'll save about $2000 a year.
I would like to read what you read. Can you post a link to it?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
The SCOTUS point blank said that scholarships were considered a benefit, not a monetary compensation.
When I was working, I looked at my benefits as part of my compensation package. If, for example, I did not have "health care benefits", I'd have to purchase such benefits from somewhere.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
When I was working, I looked at my benefits as part of my compensation package. If, for example, I did not have "health care benefits", I'd have to purchase such benefits from somewhere.
Well, what you look at it as and what the SCOTUS look at it is might be different, but their opinion on it kind of holds a lot more importance. And that is what the NCAA has to abide by.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Well, what you look at it as and what the SCOTUS look at it is might be different, but their opinion on it kind of holds a lot more importance. And that is what the NCAA has to abide by.
I agree that the NCAA must abide by what the SCOTUS said. In my comments on this thread, I never blamed the NCAA. I blamed:.... "you can then thank the unelected, lifetime appointed Supreme Court".

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
I agree that the NCAA must abide by what the SCOTUS said. In my comments on this thread, I never blamed the NCAA. I blamed:.... "you can then thank the unelected, lifetime appointed Supreme Court".
Well, I personally agree with the SCOTUS ruling on this.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
If what everyone desires is to get back to amateur sports, they should cancel all the TV contracts, reduce stadium capacities by an average of 75% and reduce all coaching and support staff salaries to a max of 90K. Stop with souvenir sales. Stop the NCAA video game from being made. Just put all facilities back to what they were 70 years ago. I mean if the desire is for mature sports, then roll back the calendar and make it happen.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
If what everyone desires is to get back to amateur sports, they should cancel all the TV contracts, reduce stadium capacities by an average of 75% and reduce all coaching and support staff salaries to a max of 90K. Stop with souvenir sales. Stop the NCAA video game from being made. Just put all facilities back to what they were 70 years ago. I mean if the desire is for mature sports, then roll back the calendar and make it happen.
I, for one, don't blame the players. They should try to get all they can. Very few human beings are not greedy, and that includes ME. None of this will impact MY quality of life. It just won't. Sports, as a whole, are not as important to me as they were 40 years ago. Now, I may be the exception to that preceding statement. I don't know.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
While I agree this is not the way to go, you have to treat all athletes equally, regardless of sport.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Can we at least keep the lights for night contests?:)

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque