Another vet question

hollywood

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
50,697
3,345
113
Got a pekingese (I know, I know - inherited him from my sister-in-law when she moved overseas).

But the poor little guy is having a horrible time with itching and has literally scratched 1"-2" patches of hair off his back, and hard enough to draw blood/scabs. He gets under chairs and my bed, arches his back and scratches the hell out of himself. I'm certain it's not fleas as I have him oral medicine for that.

I'm using high quality shampoo that is made for treating itchy skin.

Question is: Is there any sort of antihistamine (benedryl, or something) that would be safe and effective? If so, what would be the recommended dosage for a dog of about 15lbs?

Need to get him something as he stares at me and whines, he's so uncomfortable.
 

Been Jammin

Heisman
Jun 26, 2003
66,594
49,998
113
1). Take him to a vet. Antihistamines only help in about 50% of the allergy cases, IMO.

2). It may be something other than allergies.

3). If a vet visit is out of the question, you can give 10 mg of Benadryl twice daily or 2.5 mg Zyrtec once daily (generic is fine for both). But, antihistamines often take 2-3 weeks before they start to work....another reason you should take him to a vet.
 
O State Illustrated

Latest

  1. 01 Sports Predictions 2026 Heisman Trophy: Jeremiah Smith takes lead in Polymarket odds after Week 4
  2. 02 O State Illustrated Football Oklahoma State kicker Sam Keltner is ready for the spotlight
  3. 03 O State Illustrated Football OSI Breakdown Week 4 | Cowboys vs. Mountaineers
  4. 04 On3 Football Big 12 names Football Players of the Week after Week 4
  5. 05 O State Illustrated Football Takeaways from Oklahoma State’s 41-24 win over West Virginia