Any numismatics on here?

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Found a few ww2 era coins, any extra value due to silver content? Tia.

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
Found a few ww2 era coins, any extra value due to silver content? Tia.
My dad left my brother and me a bunch of old coins. Some are really interesting, but nothing of any real value. You should be able to look their value up online. Be careful, however, since there are a surprising number of slight variations. Good luck!

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
Numismatic - let's just say I am a little disappointed it doesn't mean what I was hoping it would.

Reactions: Bison13

PAstr

Oct 30, 2021
$1 of pre-1965 dimes, quartets, half dollars or dollars in circulated condition shou get you between $15-$19 at a coin shop. This is due to their silver content and the fact that they are legal tender…..less likely to be faked.

In the bullion world, these highly circulated coins are referred to as “junk silver”, but many silver stackers prefer them over silver bars because of the lower weights per item. In other words, 100 oz bars are great for stacking, but when the time comes to sell/trade them, the owner needs to find a buyer who is in the market for 100 oz.….. the bar is not easily divided.

With respect to the numismatic value of the coins, the condition, date, mint mark and total number of coins originally released can dramatically dictate the price to a prospective buyer.

In the last three weeks, the cost for 2022 silver Britannia coins has gone from $2 Over the spot price of silver to more than $8 over spot.

PAstr

Oct 30, 2021
Look up Monument Metals online , search under the silver tab and you will find hat they are selling 50 & 90% US silver coins, in circulated condition for about $20 per $1 of face value. Rare coins or coins in better condition should command a much higher price at a coin dealer. This is because they have both intrinsic value and numismatic value.

Ghost of OM

Oct 30, 2021
This brings up a question I have been struggling with. I have a ton, well not literally but darn close, of old coins. I’m talking boxes. Some sorted and in books some loose in bags and jars - lots of silver, wheat pennies, walking Libertys, Eisenhower dimes etc. Are there trustworthy dealers anywhere that I could take the whole load to and get an honest valuation/offer? It would take way more time than I have to look them all up. I’ve moved them twice and would rather not do it again. Thanks AKB.

PAstr

Oct 30, 2021
Where are you located? I assume the loose coins in bags are all in circulated condition. Those would probably be purchased either by weight ( for the Pennie’s) or by ratio of face valu to price ($1 face value: $15-$19 price). Older nickels in this condition can also be sold by weight.

as far as the coins “in books”, I’d take them to a coin dealer and have them graded if hey look to be in better than average condition.

Ghost of OM

Oct 30, 2021
Where are you located? I assume the loose coins in bags are all in circulated condition. Those would probably be purchased either by weight ( for the Pennie’s) or by ratio of face valu to price ($1 face value: $15-$19 price). Older nickels in this condition can also be sold by weight.

as far as the coins “in books”, I’d take them to a coin dealer and have them graded if hey look to be in better than average condition.
Thanks PA. I am in State College. Most of them are circulated. Some are uncirc. in the plastic containers. A lot of the silver is circulated but very good - in stacked plastic containers.

PAstr

Oct 30, 2021
State College coin shop web site says that they buy on Mondays or with an appointment. I’d take a couple of your “nice” rolls or some uncirculated coins in and see what you can get. While you’re there, ask about their interest in some of your other stuff.

once you know what they are paying for your coins, you should be able to compare with online prices and perhaps find a better buyer elsewhere.

Something to keep in mind is hat the coin store is not going to pay retail, as they need to sell for a profit. Because you have a bunch to sell, they may give you a better price if their inventory is low.