Anybody go to the 1st pitch banquet

DawgTeacher

Feb 24, 2008
and here Paps last night? He was at the White House partying with Bush earlier in the week, didn't know if he had some good stories. Just wondering...

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I'm curious as to what a Papelbon stump speech is like. I'd like to know how it went down with the blue hairs. Any references to David Ortiz and is bedazzler?

inthedawghouse

Feb 28, 2008
He made a joke about Polk's small unit. Uncomfortable laugh followed.

He also joked about Polk's lack of women.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________He made a joke about Polk's small unit_________________________________________________
If that's the case, then yes, Paps was across the line. A four letter word or two can be overlooked, but at a public event like this, use a little common sense about who might be in your audience. It might be different at a coach's convention or at a Comedy Central Roast, but don't break out that kind of trash at the First Pitch Banquet.

(Pagan, just pagan.)

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Although you could tell that all the zingers Polk threw back at Paps were old as dirt, I did like the one where he said that once Paps was gone, that people would shed a lot of water over his grave. But, most of it would probably pass through their kidneys first.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
They should have known what they were getting with this guy. Number one, baseball players are notoriously crazy. Number two, he's probably the most crazy of an already crazy bunch. And who brings their kids to a banquet. By rule, I think the word banquet makes it kid inappropriate.

dogmatic1

Aug 6, 2007
. . . to a Bulldog Club thing in at the Ramada in Tupelo in about the summer of 1982 and we heard Emory Bellard talk about the upcoming year. I remember being amazed at how much everyone was drinking (my folks were tea-totalers).

I got over it though, and in the seasons since, have figured out why they preferred to be drunk.

I agree expecting any pro baseball player to give a dignified, uplifting, buttoned-up speech is dumb. They have fun for a living. Hell even Steve Garvey fathered a bastard didn't he?

oem

Feb 23, 2008
Quote:_________________________________________________I remember being amazed at how much everyone was drinking (my folks were tea-totalers)._________________________________________________

Did you take a little dip into the punch bowl while Pops wasn't looking?

DawgTeacher

Feb 24, 2008
I'm mid 20's with zero kids but I still think it's pretty distasteful to talk like that. Why do you think society is going like it is today, kids learning to much adult stuff way too young. Being a high school teacher (9th grade) and seeing 4 out of my 60 some odd students being pregnant doesn't lead me to believe we are teaching our kids very good things at home. Don't throw the kids shouldn't be here idea seeing as how they had an autograph session. Please tell me you grown men aren't going to get college athletes autographs...Plus this was a banquet, it's supposed to be clean with good humor.

Seshomoru

Apr 24, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________doesn't lead me to believe we are teaching our kids very good things at <span style="font-size:xx-large;">home</span>._________________________________________________

Paps ain't their pops, nor was he at their house.

Quote:_________________________________________________Please tell me you grown men aren't going to get college athletes autographs_________________________________________________

People like Backer do actually exist.

Quote:_________________________________________________Plus this was a banquet, it's supposed to be clean with good humor._________________________________________________

Was it? Did it the tickets mention good clean humor? Or, do you just think because that's what you wanted, that's what you should get.

Ever paid for a bad movie? Deal with it.

KurtRambis4

Aug 30, 2006
should we do? start having all msu functions at chuck-e-cheese?! good god! make sure the punch isnt spiked, backer!