Arcade Games

Jun 11, 2001
25,752
30,232
68
I’m a huge Galaga fan. Considering getting an arcade. Not sure if I should get a new one or a refurbished CRT. Thoughts?
 

The Duke

Heisman
May 29, 2001
18,553
59,379
103
Are the refurbished originals more expensive? Are the new ones crap quality (ie wouldn’t last a week in an old arcade)?

I would love to have one or two....Galaga would be on the short list.
 
  • Like
Reactions: squeak
Jun 11, 2001
25,752
30,232
68
I pulled the trigger on a Ms. PAC-man/Galaga set up with a 57 game multicade. The box is actually not like an original Ms PAC-man/Galaga. Rather, the box is set up with the stick off center to the left and trigger right, just like the original Galaga. The insides are all new parts. I would have preferred the old CRT screen, but from what I was told the new parts will last longer and breakdown less, as would be expected.
 
  • Like
Reactions: The Duke

Been Jammin

Heisman
Jun 26, 2003
66,596
50,004
113
I pulled the trigger on a Ms. PAC-man/Galaga set up with a 57 game multicade. The box is actually not like an original Ms PAC-man/Galaga. Rather, the box is set up with the stick off center to the left and trigger right, just like the original Galaga. The insides are all new parts. I would have preferred the old CRT screen, but from what I was told the new parts will last longer and breakdown less, as would be expected.
That should be good for a solid 2 or 3 weeks of entertainment before you get bored with it and realized there is a reason that gaming platforms come out with new games every couple of months.
 
  • Like
Reactions: osu_orangestreak

JonnyVito

Heisman
Mar 12, 2008
24,405
10,422
0
That should be good for a solid 2 or 3 weeks of entertainment before you get bored with it and realized there is a reason that gaming platforms come out with new games every couple of months.
I disagree our dorm had a pretty great competition one year between all us rooms mates. I can't tell you how many hours I have logged on PAC Man. Never got tired of it and still play it to this day. Games like that are great for keeping the ole steel trap up stairs going.
 
Dec 22, 2013
32,865
41,534
113
I’m a huge Galaga fan. Considering getting an arcade. Not sure if I should get a new one or a refurbished CRT. Thoughts?
There’s a machine to can get that includes Galaga and a slew of other vintage games.

I know this because when our new home is finally complete, my wife wants a Ms Pac Man console.
 

Adman513

All-American
May 29, 2001
5,116
5,148
113
We bought a couple of these about 3 years ago. One was a Galaga/Galaxian combo, and the other was a Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, and a couple of others I rarely play.

I thought it was pretty ridiculous how you had to buy the base as a separate purchase, but I guess since the cabinets aren't full-size that others may not want the extended base, but I digress. We bought them through a Black Friday deal, but I think altogether (the game and base) totaled $475ish.

I haven't had any problems with them, and they were pretty easy to put together. I've seen a few other different brands that include additional games, so you may have better options/more bang for your buck considering the # of games included.

As Been said above...there was definitely a lull after a few weeks of playing them, and weeks have gone by where none of us in the house played them. It's been interesting to see my kids (ages 15 & 18) and their friends give it a single play or two then became completely bored with them. The appeal of the games they're used to is just too strong, I guess (and who could blame them--better graphics, sound, story, immersion, etc.). However, our friends who come over get pretty excited when they see them and definitely get their nostalgia bones tickled. Even so...the novelty of them wears off after about 15-20 minutes.

Arcade 1up company
 
Jun 11, 2001
25,752
30,232
68
We bought a couple of these about 3 years ago. One was a Galaga/Galaxian combo, and the other was a Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, and a couple of others I rarely play.

I thought it was pretty ridiculous how you had to buy the base as a separate purchase, but I guess since the cabinets aren't full-size that others may not want the extended base, but I digress. We bought them through a Black Friday deal, but I think altogether (the game and base) totaled $475ish.

I haven't had any problems with them, and they were pretty easy to put together. I've seen a few other different brands that include additional games, so you may have better options/more bang for your buck considering the # of games included.

As Been said above...there was definitely a lull after a few weeks of playing them, and weeks have gone by where none of us in the house played them. It's been interesting to see my kids (ages 15 & 18) and their friends give it a single play or two then became completely bored with them. The appeal of the games they're used to is just too strong, I guess (and who could blame them--better graphics, sound, story, immersion, etc.). However, our friends who come over get pretty excited when they see them and definitely get their nostalgia bones tickled. Even so...the novelty of them wears off after about 15-20 minutes.

Arcade 1up company
If you’re any good at Galaga it’s at least a 30 minute commitment. Your friends are loosers.

Seriously, you can’t buy an arcade and get your money’s worth. It’s a white privilege purchase, ask any democrat.
 

Colorado_Poke

All-American
Jul 29, 2006
6,876
8,997
0
Fun thread. We're likely to move into a larger house in a few years and shortly thereafter I may start looking at getting a pinball machine. An old arcade box would definitely be a lot cheaper though.
 
  • Like
Reactions: squeak

TPOKE

Heisman
Jul 14, 2001
19,092
27,150
113
My daughter lived in Richardson and my wife, daughter, her boy friend and I would go to Free Play on Belt Line every now and then. I could get my fill spending a few hours in there every so often. Asteroids was my game of choice.
 
Jun 11, 2001
25,752
30,232
68
Arcade arrived. All is well except they used the Ms Pac-Man screen so the joystick is center. Wife says she wants it as is for her gameplay.

I opened up the back and it’s amazing how much empty space there is. Looks simple enough to build your own. May have to give it a shot. It’s a far cry from what the old CRT set ups were like.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Been Jammin

EvilPOKES

Heisman
Apr 23, 2008
110,060
19,209
113
Arcade arrived. All is well except they used the Ms Pac-Man screen so the joystick is center. Wife says she wants it as is for her gameplay.

I opened up the back and it’s amazing how much empty space there is. Looks simple enough to build your own. May have to give it a shot. It’s a far cry from what the old CRT set ups were like.
If you have any wherewithal around raspberry pi, you could have a decent homemade arcade.
 
May 29, 2004
37,579
26,765
0
Any experience with bar room shuffle board games? How much maintenance is required to keep them slick? A condo complex In Destin, FL had one in its game room, but it was apparently not maintained because the pucks didn’t slide worth a shiite.
 

Green Yeti

All-American
Jul 1, 2021
10,418
9,898
113
Any experience with bar room shuffle board games? How much maintenance is required to keep them slick? A condo complex In Destin, FL had one in its game room, but it was apparently not maintained because the pucks didn’t slide worth a shiite.
I think you just salt them to make them slick.
 
O State Illustrated

Latest

  1. 01 O State Illustrated OSI Preview | Week 5 Bye for Oklahoma State
  2. 02 O State Illustrated Wrestling Sergio Vega now 149, Oklahoma State lineup wars heating up
  3. 03 O State Illustrated Basketball OSU's Ahmed, Burks and Walker see unselfish culture taking shape
  4. 04 O State Illustrated Football Recruiting Oklahoma State offers Pitt commit Jordan Young
  5. 05 Sports Predictions 2026 Heisman Trophy: Jeremiah Smith takes lead in Polymarket odds after Week 4