Baltimore Key bridge collapse

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
The Francis Scott Keybridge off of the 695 beltway in Baltimore collapsed earlier this morning as a container ship ran into it around 130 this morning.

>>Biden emphasized that the bridge collapse was an accident and praised the ship's crew for reporting the issue so that local authorities could quickly close the bridge to traffic before the bridge was struck. He said the quick-acting crew "undoubtedly saved lives."<<

Ok that explains the big question I had. Even at 1:00 am there would have been more traffic on the bridge than that. Thank God they made that call.

Last edited:

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
yep- last ditch effort to stop a ship that size

(not a marine engineer, but I have a good bit of experience navigating and driving ships)
Formerly being a fishermen(on weekends of course), I am sure the bottom of that river is all sludge and there was nothing for the anchor to grab onto like most intercoastal waters on the east coast.

I guess the other question I have is, should a ship that size have tug boats guiding it through what looks like a very a narrow opening under that bridge? I mean the bridges over the Delaware in Philly are nice and wide. This one looks a wee bit narrow of for a boat that size.

Reactions: A2nit and FTLPSU

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Formerly being a fishermen(on weekends of course), I am sure the bottom of that river is all sludge and there was nothing for the anchor to grab onto like most intercoastal waters on the east coast.

I guess the other question I have is, should a ship that size have tug boats guiding it through what looks like a very a narrow opening under that bridge? I mean the bridges over the Delaware in Philly are nice and wide. This one looks a wee bit narrow of for a boat that size.
watch the video above , it is very good. they had 2 tugs pull it out and point it the right direction, it should have been good to go from there without problem provided it didnt have any problems.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021

I've never been into that harbor, but the 90 degree turn from one channel into the one going under the bridge caught my eye when I looked at the chart. And I did wonder about why they positioned the bridge where they did. Usually tugs are used when you are fairly close to a dock or pier, and they weren't- but tugs might have helped if they were big enough.

Reactions: step.eng69

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

If my quick research is correct, here are the lengths of the main spans:

Francis Scott Key Bridge: 1,200 feet

Delaware River bridges:
Delaware Memorial Bridge: 2,150 feet
Commodore Barry Bridge: 1,644 feet
Walt Whitman Bridge: 2,000 feet
Benjamin Franklin Bridge: 1,750 feet
Betsy Ross Bridge: 729 feet
Tacony-Palmyra Bridge: 558 feet

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
watch the video above , it is very good. they had 2 tugs pull it out and point it the right direction, it should have been good to go from there without problem provided it didnt have any problems.
There was also a Maryland bay pilot on board to assist the crew to navigate out of the harbor, as per protocol.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Apparently, nothing could be done.

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/us-baltimore-bridge-collapse-mass-casualty-event-03-26-2024

(Scroll down to “Civil engineer explains…”.)
Bob,
The guy is a little off base. He is talking about redundancy related to the bridge superstructure, ie the steel truss.

It really doesn’t matter the factor of safety incorporated in the design of the super structure ……

IF THE SUBSTRUCTURE (Concrete pier) IS REMOVED, AND NO LONGER SUPPORTS THE BRIDGE………

THE BRIDGE COLLAPSES AND GOES… BOOM

Granted, the bridge piers should have been better protected from incidents like this.

Last edited:

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
Bob,
The guy is a little off base. He is talking about redundancy related to the bridge superstructure, ie the steel truss.

It really doesn’t matter the factor of safety incorporated in the design of the super structure ……

IF THE SUBSTRUCTURE (Concrete pier) IS REMOVED, AND NO LONGER SUPPORTS THE BRIDGE………

THE BRIDGE COLLAPSES AND GOES… BOOM

Granted, the bridge piers should have been better protected from incidents like this.
What about those big honking structures they built around the piers after the Sunshine Skyway disaster 30(?) years ago?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
  • Love

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Saw a clip about “dolphin” structures, care to elaborate Step? Enough to stop that size of a ship?

I should note that a year ago, work started to add dolphin protections to the Delaware Memorial Bridge -- a bridge which @TheBigUglies indirectly mentioned in an earlier post.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
It is now clear to me that the USA needs a funding bill exclusively dedicated to “infrastructure” 🤔

Reactions: TheBigUglies

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
I’ll always remember him best from this skit:

What about those big honking structures they built around the piers after the Sunshine Skyway disaster 30(?) years ago?

Saw a clip about “dolphin” structures, care to elaborate Step? Enough to stop that size of a ship?
Thanks guys for thinking of me last December when I had a severe case of Salmonella and C-diff. I appreciated it very much.

I was never fortunate to be involved in marine substructure design.

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
I believe someone on this board had a thread about a month or so ago. Maybe an eerie premonition, or just reinforces the fact to
make me apprehensive about them.

It was about bridges in the DMV area.

• Wow

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I believe someone on this board had a thread about a month or so ago. Maybe an eerie premonition, or just reinforces the fact to
make me apprehensive about them.

It was about bridges in the DMV area.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
If you'd like something else to worry about (and who wouldn't?), take a look at our major ports and see how many of them require ships to pass under bridges.